Paris sale barns

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
cowgirl8":27c7rv4q said:
Back in the day, when our kids were little we'd go by the Paris sale barn in town and get a free ice cream.. unless it was a day with lots of flies, i'd always go in and check first. Farm life, gotta love it.
They still have free ice cream :D

RanchMan90":21rl740x said:
cowgirl8":21rl740x said:
Back in the day, when our kids were little we'd go by the Paris sale barn in town and get a free ice cream.. unless it was a day with lots of flies, i'd always go in and check first. Farm life, gotta love it.
They still have free ice cream :D
We've eaten enough of that ice cream to balance out the shrinkage loss...lol...
One time though I went in and there were just too many flies so its been a while...Now I get my free snack of popcorn at Atwoods..love me a free snack..

Rafter S":mlm13ky3 said:
cowgirl8":mlm13ky3 said:
Red Bull Breeder":mlm13ky3 said:
CG8 your reading comprehension is lacking.
What i'm I missing...I understand what is being said...I see the calculations on how the calves gain back at OKC....Why is my reading comprehension lacking because I ask why a calf will not gain as good at another barn that feeds the same?

I hesitate to get involved in this, but I believe they're saying that there aren't any other barns that feed the same as OKC.

cowgirl 8,

My mistake. I forgot about that one. I meant this one.

Rafter S":5lgs32af said:
Rafter S":5lgs32af said:
cowgirl8":5lgs32af said:
What i'm I missing...I understand what is being said...I see the calculations on how the calves gain back at OKC....Why is my reading comprehension lacking because I ask why a calf will not gain as good at another barn that feeds the same?

I hesitate to get involved in this, but I believe they're saying that there aren't any other barns that feed the same as OKC.

cowgirl 8,

My mistake. I forgot about that one. I meant this one.
PM sent....

cowgirl8
Nobody ever answered your question about why a "full" calf at OKC would bring more then a shrunk calf at your local sale barn. A properly filled calf on a higher fiber ration will shrink less for the buyer is a big part of the reason, the buyers know what to expect for their shipping shrinkage.

For any one interested

weighted avg, OKC 8/9 https://www.ams.usda.gov/mnreports/ko_ls795.txt

weighted avg Woodward OK closest reported sale barn to me https://www.ams.usda.gov/mnreports/ko_ls753.txt usually a good place to buy but not the one I prefer to sell at.

One thing vastly different that I notice is only 1% of the calves are still bulls. Shows me most of the sellers have some type of program that they feel pays off.

Allenw":1rwc823m said:
cowgirl8
Nobody ever answered your question about why a "full" calf at OKC would bring more then a shrunk calf at your local sale barn. A properly filled calf on a higher fiber ration will shrink less for the buyer is a big part of the reason, the buyers know what to expect for their shipping shrinkage.

For any one interested

weighted avg Woodward OK closest reported sale barn to me https://www.ams.usda.gov/mnreports/ko_ls753.txt usually a good place to buy but not the one I prefer to sell at.
Allen
Where are you located ?
I worked at Laverne,OK for awhile

kinda reminds me of an old lady's porch dog
Always yapping and don't k ow what it's yapping about

MoCrackerCowboy":1g5a2qjk said:
Allenw":1g5a2qjk said:
cowgirl8

For any one interested

Allen
Where are you located ?
I worked at Laverne,OK for awhile

I'm in the Seiling area.

I have just sat down and read all 9 pages. A lot of good information has been shared. Thank you to those who took time to try and explain.

As several have mentioned, managing shrink can pay the commission. I have seen too many producers weigh calves as they loaded them and then complained to the sale barn that the barn's scales were off. They just can not wrap their head around how much weight is lost. Long weaned calves do not shrink as much and are quicker to fill back up than bawling calves because they are looking for the feed and water trough not momma. I worked with a producer back in the early 1990's to show how we could reduce shrink. We weighed all the calves. we gate cut some and sent to the sale barn and compared sell weight to the on farm weight. Those calves shrunk 5 to 6% off the farm. The remainder of calves were backgrounded for 45 to 60 days. We weighed the calves again. He hauled 2 gooseneck loads to sale barn the afternoon before. On second load he carried some feed from home that they were used to eating. The sale barn was skeptical that the calves would eat. Those calves shrunk 1.3% from the on farm weight to the pay weight. There was a half a load that we could not get on the other 2 loads. Those calves were hauled in the morning of the sale and put in with the others. They shrank 3% from farm to payweight.

Several on here have mentioned the 2% pencil shrink, it may not seem right but it is just they way it is. Buyers of country cattle expect and demand it. Sale barn buyers have already figured on 6 to 8% shrink in what they will bid on cattle. The deal at OKC is a little different in that buyers know all the cattle have access to the feed. What makes OKC is volume and proximity to feedyards or wheat fields. The type of calf sold at OKC is not your typical weaned on the trailer calf seen at most sale barn. The folks from this part of the world and from the southeast that sell there get the advantage of truckload lots, having a weaned, hardened off calf and the animal close to the feedyards or wheat fields.

Cowgirl8, good luck selling directly off the farm. Plan on giving a 2 to 3% pencil shrink and hope the check clears before the cattle get too far up the road.

cowgirl8":krd58sh9 said:
Craig Miller":krd58sh9 said:
Cg I have an uncle that sells straight off his farm about 150 calves a year. They bring the trucks out and load them at his place and he gets paid an agreed price. That's about all I know about it. Have you looked in to that before? If he can do it here in alabama surely you can there in texas.
My daughter did it once. And I cant believe anyone would argue our choice if this is what we do...lol... How can hauling to a sale barn 5 hours away be better than loading a pot load into a truck directly out of our pens?
Jed, I believe I've explained once before. First, all our calves have been castrated vaccinated long ago,, We could keep calves 120 days, but there are a few things to factor in. You need a facility to keep that many calves we don't have. You'd need a barn, a big one, we don't have that. We usually wean in Oct to Nov....that's when fall sets in and winter is at our backdoor. Its like someone is watching with their hand on a switch when we wean, they flip that switch and it starts raining cold rain. Now, I have calves standing around in cold mud. We could build a 100,000 dollar barn to house these calves(actually would probably cost more). We could spend those 120 days caring for these animals. We'll hope we don't lose any, each one lost is $ off you gain. You few who have small herds have said you'd do this if you had a bigger operation, so, you've never done it. We do wean and keep 20 to 60 heifers a year. That's about all the work I want after weaning...
Or we can in a short time, sell these calves off our place with no loss of weight. And those 120 days we can relax, go on vacation.......lol..........hum.....You can handle all businesses in all different ways. You can make it harder or easier, you can make more money at anything. I will check into OKC a little more. I'm going to ask around and see if any of the big operations around here ship there. Just because i'm not patting the few of you on the backs is not because i'm not listening so chill....
But I do have to question why a calf at one sale barn wont gain back like at OKC.....Have all of you been to every barn to inspect how they hold the calves? If I have a barn near me feeds exactly like OKC, wouldn't it make more sense to haul there instead? And I have to question why buyers will pay more for a calf full of feed. If you know you're calf is getting fattened up, you know the buyers know it too. I'd sure dock a calf if I knew he had 10 pounds of feed in him when I could go down the road and get a calf whos a little lighter before he stuffs himself....you cant fault me for questioning that. Yall are the ones who've argued telling me I get docked for banding a calf because the buyers can tell...
Cg8 I was not just putting the info up just for you. Others can read too.
If you do get to where you can sale off the farm that is best. However I said you don't know enough yet to do that. Learn more.
I figured you cut them.
You don't need a facility to keep them in. A roof over them when they are being weaned is nice but even that isn't nesseary. I don't have anything but am going to get a cover to keep them dry. Doesn't take something huge either. Several small run ins are better. You don't want a barn to keep them in either.
I buy from October till Christmas and then on till February, you know when it's wet and cold. Uncut, unweaned, unvaccinated put togather from many herds and salebarns. Starting your own would be a cakewalk.
That extra 120 days would make a lot of money. Someone (like me) is buying those calves and making that money.
You can't sell them off your place with no weight loss. Your taking a loss every time you send them to the barn your using.If you sell potloads direct to a buyer he's going to shrink them on a sliding scale. Still will be better than you are doing now at the barns your going to.
And now your back on all us little operations. I know everyone strives to be like you.
I mean you have what 250 mamas? That's a nice herd.
If your were east of me instead of west of me I'd be interested in buying yours off your farm. (You probley scoff now, yeah right) you see you have a big time operation and it's not one of those little hobby farms or anything like that so how would a hick like me buy off your farm? Well you see if you had a 100% calf crop and they were all bull calves I could buy all of them and still need to go elsewhere to fill up for the winter.
You know what's really funny? My cattle operation really is a hobby operation, it's not what makes my living (row crop). It's what I do for enjoyment. It does need to make a profit.
Now you been in business for what 30-35 years?
Well I have too but not cattle, the mama cows left my place in 92 and another one didn't step foot on the place till 08.
Yeah, since 08 I've built a hobby using its on money, not piling money in form somewhere else to make a stocker operation that can buy all your production and then some. Isn't that funny for a hobby farm?
And see I wasn't telling you how to run your business and I don't care what you do. I could care less.
I was just telling you what's out there and how some people do it. Was also telling others. (This board isn't just about one person)
Also it's common knowlage in the cattle business that The City is a hub, always sets the price and less shrink than anywhere. Also common knowledge that the buyers there want calves full. Can't believe a professional doesn't know that.
Now once again I'm not telling you what to do and I don't care what you do. I put options out there.

I is with the cowgirl on this'en wouldn't take no stock to okc if they don't give free icecream!! 1500 $ no biggy but don't take my icecream

big ben":3o27z0l5 said:
I is with the cowgirl on this'en wouldn't take no stock to okc if they don't give free icecream!! 1500 $ no biggy but don't take my icecream

Now that I think about it, I've changed my mind too.

cowgirl8":14a4kz95 said:
....when you guys are pondering how people make a living at ranching.... i'm living it.

I'm confused :???:
I recall reading somewhere that you said your husband is a firefighter?

Carpenter2n":3asw54ul said:
cowgirl8":3asw54ul said:
....when you guys are pondering how people make a living at ranching.... i'm living it.

I don't believe she ever said that. Might have a son in law or something but not her husband.

TennesseeTuxedo":h1q10i52 said:
Carpenter2n":h1q10i52 said:
cowgirl8":h1q10i52 said:

I don't believe she ever said that. Might have a son in law or something but not her husband.

Wrong.

Carpenter2n":3mlnt3j1 said:
cowgirl8":3mlnt3j1 said:

75% of fire fighters are volunteer, and he's a volunteer. He's assn Chief and son is Captain. They've been on the department for a long time. He only gets calls in the middle of the night or when dinner is ready. :lol2: . I don't do the fireman stuff, I help with fundraisers, clean the station, that kind of stuff... He got into it after we lost 80 acres of pines to a fire. Figured he'd give back, they saved a large block of trees, well, forest service did.....He's a well respected man of the community where is his well liked.
We were chatting earlier while we were planing some wood... He's still thinking about futures in the marketing of our calves...I don't know enough about that, but he does.

Why does it matter if he's a fireman? DId someone think they had me at a lie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts