Out of Curiosity

Help Support CattleToday:

Came up with another possibility this morning. I have no idea how she is bred, but I'm a little scared because she is 10 and they want 1250. She's open and this years calf is already weaned.

open_cow.jpg

slick4591":1vawotcc said:
Number one on the list for my freezer. Number two is selling animals for the leaner beef. There's always seedstock, but that involves convincing people that Pieds will help their commercial operation, which ain't gonna be easy.

I would agree on using #2 but keep in mind, the carcass EPD is based solely on pedigree (.05 acc) , no data has been turned in on the cow. She may or may not live up to the EPD.
Only the ones with data to back up EPD would be worth good prices, otherwise you are still getting an "educated guess" as to what they can pass on to progeny. :2cents:
Valerie

As for the most recent cow pictured, forget about her. She's 10, bad looking udder, but most importantly her calf has been weaned and she's still open. (unless she hasn't been w/bull.

Some folks in my area tried running Pied bulls on Blk Angus for the same reason that you are. Most of them quit that combination for various reasons. I think the biggest reason was not enough market for it in my area, and many cows having difficulty at calving which could have been due to the cow genetics used.

I think if you have the right cows to cross with your Pied bull/bulls and have been having success with it, then by all means keep going. It is a 'specialty' market, as you know. I admire your determination and effort. Clearly you've put a lot of time and research into what you are doing.

As for the first set of pictures posted, any one/all of those cows would me jsut fine.

Good luck.

Katherine

Valerie,

Thanks for letting me know! I like #2 but she is 4th on my list because she is the shorter bodied of the three. My head tell me she might turn the Pieds from long to short and blocky and could have calving problems, which I am really trying to avoid.

Katherine,

At this point she is a cull making room for a replacement and was referred to me by the owner of the previous four because of the size calves she is capable of having. With that said she hasn't been around a bull. There's no specific market for that cross it in my area, either. In fact, most people around here have no idea what a Piedmontese is much less their meat quality. You could say I'm trying to carve out my little piece of the market around here. Thanks for your response.

I think for what you're planning on doing with it all that cull cow might be your best bet but i'd try to offer a little less since she's going to die by the pound if you don't take her.
I must say that I admire your enthusiasm for genetic tinkering... There's not much that can make me stay up past bedtime but laying awake imagining the possibilities will :hide: . This is one of those deals where if it catches on everyone will say you're brilliant and if it doesn't then you're an idiot that wasted his money on cows like the rest of us...

cow pollinater":9egjgjp7 said:
I think for what you're planning on doing with it all that cull cow might be your best bet but i'd try to offer a little less since she's going to die by the pound if you don't take her.
I must say that I admire your enthusiasm for genetic tinkering... There's not much that can make me stay up past bedtime but laying awake imagining the possibilities will :hide: . This is one of those deals where if it catches on everyone will say you're brilliant and if it doesn't then you're an idiot that wasted his money on cows like the rest of us...

:lol: At least I'll be in good compay.

cow pollinater":3tgaks8g said:
I must say that I admire your enthusiasm for genetic tinkering...
This is one of those deals where if it catches on everyone will say you're brilliant and if it doesn't then you're an idiot that wasted his money on cows like the rest of us...

:nod: :nod:

Given the additional info on the cow in the last pic., I now understand why you are considering her. Makes sense.

With regards to the cows in the first set of pictures, does the seller have pelvic measrements on them?

Katherine

Workinonit Farm":jmbwki5w said:
Given the additional info on the cow in the last pic., I now understand why you are considering her. Makes sense.

With regards to the cows in the first set of pictures, does the seller have pelvic measrements on them?

Katherine

I didn't ask about pelvic scores because she had the records with birth weights on each cow and those were all acceptable for me. I have already told the owner of the last cow that I wasn't going to buy her. I want an Angus cow around either to use for my purposes or just to make Angus babies, so the older cow didn't really fit into my plans.

Maybe I better explain that this cross is not some new genetic experiment. Many people around are using Pieds in their operations and it either works for them or not. It is, however, new to my part of the country and we happen to have a few young farmers with beef cows that may be open to the idea of using Pieds in their herds. I know I've spoken to a few that are curious.

slick4591":k2il7cjj said:
Valerie,

Thanks for letting me know! I like #2 but she is 4th on my list because she is the shorter bodied of the three. My head tell me she might turn the Pieds from long to short and blocky and could have calving problems, which I am really trying to avoid.

Katherine,

At this point she is a cull making room for a replacement and was referred to me by the owner of the previous four because of the size calves she is capable of having. With that said she hasn't been around a bull. There's no specific market for that cross it in my area, either. In fact, most people around here have no idea what a Piedmontese is much less their meat quality. You could say I'm trying to carve out my little piece of the market around here. Thanks for your response.
well now she sounds like a perfect canidate for your program

Latest posts