Out of Curiosity

Help Support CattleToday:

Number one on the list for my freezer. Number two is selling animals for the leaner beef. There's always seedstock, but that involves convincing people that Pieds will help their commercial operation, which ain't gonna be easy.

xxbrand":1jvbqqx2 said:
Good looking angus. I really like #3. The price seems pretty high, but all registered angus cows will be priced high in todays market.

Thanks! I think she is pretty nice too.

slick4591":24399h0m said:
Number one on the list for my freezer. Number two is selling animals for the leaner beef. There's always seedstock, but that involves convincing people that Pieds will help their commercial operation, which ain't gonna be easy.

In Texas that's goin be like pushing a log chain uphill.

slick4591":29o42sd6 said:
Yep, already know that. Guess I figure they need to see them in my pasture before they could see them in theirs.

I hate to break this to you getting a cowman leave what brought him to the dance ain't happening.
This is the unstoppable object traveling through the universe hitting the unmovable object.
There are basically three breeds in Texas and after the drought that has been set even further in concrete,
Angus, Brahman and Hereford and there crosses.

Caustic Burno":1il2gk1f said:
slick4591":1il2gk1f said:
Yep, already know that. Guess I figure they need to see them in my pasture before they could see them in theirs.

I hate to break this to you getting a cowman leave what brought him to the dance ain't happening.
This is the unstoppable object traveling through the universe hitting the unmovable object.
There are basically three breeds in Texas and after the drought that has been set even further in concrete,

There's also a select group that will pay top prices for a beef that is lower in cholesterol than chicken. There's just something I love about a picture like this.

09FD20REO20Piedmontese20bull20smll.jpg

I like #3, if it were me that is. I haven't looked up their details but just based on the photos she's the one for me.
I'm not sure why you are buying registered animals but thats up to you and I don't know anything about your operation.

Caustic Burno":3ggvbaw1 said:
For those price's trailer would be empty on the ride home.
If I went with you I would ride in the trailer and moo for you on the way back. If you tried to write a check I'd hog tie you and make you ride in the trailer. Dam I know good cows are expensive but I just can't do those numbers.

Caustic Burno":1mfmgx0y said:
slick4591":1mfmgx0y said:

What about beefmasters for Texas?

I would take 3 then 4 than 1 than 2 in that order there. number three is by far the one i would take cause she looks like if she was bred to a nice short deep hereford bull than she would make some good calves. number 4 next because she looks to be the heaviest without the longer legs. number one next just because i wouldnt want number 2. i dont like number 2 because this is just my opinion but she from the pic she doesnt look to have the lenth to her as the others do she is a little leggier than i would like on a straight angus cow and i dont like her head. on the head part this is just personal experiance from what ive been around so it aint worth much more than that but the way she is holding it looks more like she might have an attitude once you put her in the corral or at least be flighty as he77 i bet. plus all the angus i have been around and again before i get ripped on this it is just my experiance but the ones with a longer face and more narrow head tend to be the ones that will try and get you compared to the ones with a shorter wider head and thats just with the heards i have been around but 9 out of 10 times you could bet on that with the cattle i have worked.

Stepbystep":y8lolgpo said:
Caustic Burno":y8lolgpo said:
slick4591":y8lolgpo said:

Now Step you are new and starting out Beefmasters are wonderful cattle IMO, they were developed in Texas by the Lasater family while the Kenedy's were working on the Gert's. Both ranches got there foundation Brahman cattle from Shanghi Pierce that first brought them in and started breeding them.
Remember this there are no bad breed's there are bad enviroments for breed's and you are not going to reinvent the wheel. You have to go with what the market want's and you can raise with the lowest input cost .
Lastly there are no black beefmasters you have just entered the septic tank of Angus genetic's might as well run Angus.

Sure like what #2 has standing next to her!

I agree though that they are too high if you aren't looking for those specific genetics...

Old_man_emu":1ynln13s said:
I like #3, if it were me that is. I haven't looked up their details but just based on the photos she's the one for me.
I'm not sure why you are buying registered animals but thats up to you and I don't know anything about your operation.

I'm buying registered because I have the option of staying the way I'm going or breeding back purebred if at some point I think I need to.

Isomade":1ynln13s said:
Caustic Burno":1ynln13s said:
For those price's trailer would be empty on the ride home.
If I went with you I would ride in the trailer and moo for you on the way back. If you tried to write a check I'd hog tie you and make you ride in the trailer. Dam I know good cows are expensive but I just can't do those numbers.

He!! Iso, that would be worth the trip right there! :lol: Since I've been poking around for a month or better looking I'd gladly take suggestions on where I can find the quality for less money.

Stepbystep":1ynln13s said:

Not interested in Beefmasters as I don't know the quality of meat the F1's would produce.

Lon, #2 is not flighty. You're right tho, she is a little shorter. The bull in my avatar is what I would breed her to and I believe he could stretch her out.

SSGenetics":1ynln13s said:
Sure like what #2 has standing next to her!

I agree though that they are too high if you aren't looking for those specific genetics...

Unfortunately, that was last years calf.

I'm really enjoying this discussion and I appreciate everyone's opinion.

I have judged live cattle at many Australian country shows/fairs and i will start by saying it is often hard to judge by pictures. However going on what i see as a every day commercial cow i like #4 for her natural thickness, depth and capacity. Granted the other 3 are feminine types but in particular 2 & 3 appears to lack at little depth of body. #1 looks a good female, although not as balanced as 4 and needs a bit more behind her shoulders.
If i was to view them live i would have a good look at their feet, leg and udder structure as these 3 components in are cow are important for her longenvity within a cow herd and her ability to move around and graze.
It is also important to look at the animal from every animal when assessing it.

Hope this helps-
It is important to acknowledge an animals good and bad traits which gives you an ability to cull when numbers are in excess or feed is short/expensive, however don't do to critical of your commercial cows as if they are efficiently raising a good calf they are worth keeping.

Latest posts