Our Black Senior Herd Sire

Help Support CattleToday:

Running Arrow Bill

Reaction score
Here is a photo of our Longhorn senior herd sire, "Jet Black Phantom", A.I. Certified and dual-registered:

CopyofPhantom7.jpg

Running Arrow Bill":235c07wm said:
ITLA Registered Longhorn Bull
ITLA A.I. Certified Longhorn Bull
TLBAA Registered Longhorn Bull

OK, I see. Thanks Bill. He is a little fine boned for my likeing, but I'm not used to looking at a longhorn either. At any rate, near as I can tell...looks like a pretty good bull there. Sound too.

looks like a great bull not a big longhorn person but looks very decent to me

Thanks for your comments! Phantom's sire, "Overwhelmer", (deceased) was a very sturdy bull (can't put his picture on here since I didn't take it). Phantom has sired some pretty sturdy calves (previous owners), including on a Charlolais herd that outproduced their Charlolais bulls. Think Phantom weighs about 1700-1800 lbs now at 6.5 years old.

Right now we've got 3 bulls in service. One of our newest bulls, "Roundups Blue Spock" (a blue roan) is out of the currently famous producing sire, "Roundup". This picture (below) of Spock is at 11 months and he is weighing about 700# with about 35" of horn. He is projected to have 74" of horn at maturity. He will be placed in service January, 2005:

ROUNDUPSBLUESPOCK10.jpg

We have high hopes for him as well as Phantom. The Overwhelmer and Roundup lineages have produced calves in the top 10% Longhorns in USA.

Running Arrow Bill":st5ea0hv said:
Phantom has sired some pretty sturdy calves (previous owners), including on a Charlolais herd that outproduced their Charlolais bulls.
Outproduced in what way, Bill?

Texan":o3lsi4lh said:
Running Arrow Bill":o3lsi4lh said:
Phantom has sired some pretty sturdy calves (previous owners), including on a Charlolais herd that outproduced their Charlolais bulls.
Outproduced in what way, Bill?

Guess my comment was confusing. Meant to say that "Phantom" (Longhorn) sired calves that were better than ones sired by the Charolais bull. With more body and reportedly sold for higher prices at a non-registered cattle sale.

Campground Cattle":2emjlxtn said:
Not mine but sure looks like some British White in the woodpile, guess you have to do what you can to breed up.

His genetics are solid Longhorn. One thing about Longhorns is that regardless of which colors are bred together, the sky's the limit for the color of the calves. On other hand, if a Longhorn Sire and Dam are 2 or 3 generations hymogonous for a given solid color, calves most probabily will be the solid color.

The "Red Roans" and "Blue Roans" are almost always white as a calf. With age, their coloring (speckles, topline, other points) emerges. You can see the roaning in the undercoat. There are also "Mulberry Roans." Our Red Roan 3.5 yr old bull now is mostly a musty off white color with enough "red" markings (speckles, topline, etc.). Our Red Roan bull has sired solid red, brown, red roan, and mixed color calves from different dams.

All in all, there are NO two longhorns with the EXACT same color. Sorta like fingerprints. We had a mostly red cow that calved an almost identical patterned heifer; however, there were several distinct color markings between the two.

All of our registered Longhorns have a minimum of 10 generations of purebred Longhorn sires/dams. You cannot register one with the Longhorn Associations if it has any cross-breeding in their lineage (excusing of course 100-500 years ago when the Longhorns were obviously started from something).

Sorry to tell you, but I think someone is trying to blow alot of smoke up someone's you know what. There is no way that a longhorn is going to out produce a charolais bull unless he was half sick and almost dead.
I have had them critters ( Longhorns) and crossed them on various breeds of cattle and they still look and feed like a longhorn.
If you don't want to produce much beef to help feed the world, then get some longhorns and let us that know better produce beef!!!!!!!

dakotaboy":rf3pgjkp said:
Sorry to tell you, but I think someone is trying to blow alot of smoke up someone's you know what. There is no way that a longhorn is going to out produce a charolais bull unless he was half sick and almost dead.
I have had them critters ( Longhorns) and crossed them on various breeds of cattle and they still look and feed like a longhorn.
If you don't want to produce much beef to help feed the world, then get some longhorns and let us that know better produce beef!!!!!!!

We've seen some crosses of Longhorn X _____. There are Longhorns and there are "Longhorns." Some of them out there look like they haven't eaten in a month; others out there look well fed and with body. Based on the producer's skill in line breeding and out-crossing and what they are trying to produce.

People are against---indifferent---for (on a scale of 1-10) about Longhorns. Same is true of all the other breeds. Depends on what you are trying to do and where your interests are. To me, nothing would be more boring than to look out in the pasture at 500 cookie cutter calves or cows; however, the cookie cutter cattle duplicates are what the feedyards and slaughter houses want and what they buy.

Running Arrow Bill,
I like the looks of your bull. I've noticed him in the Trails magazine. Here is a picture of one of my bulls that I'm kind of partial to. He is a Whelming King grandson out of a King grand daughter and had really thrown some nice looking calves for us this year. He will be three at the end of January. This picture was made in early summer and he has grown some since then. I measured his horns in October at 55" tip to tip.
0244765-R1-037-17.jpg

Roger.... nice looking bull!

We have offspring with Whelming King lineage too. Real pleased with that line. She is "RAF Whelming Symbol" (Whelming Playboy X Senator's Symbol). We also own Senator's Symbol. We've also got some Overwhelmer, Roundup, and others in our herd's lineage. We also have a son of Roundup X Ozark's Mist. We own Ozark's Mist.

they look finer to me
(just not used to looking at them)

what are some advantages of longhorns or crossing with them?

sure there is a stratagy out there

i also agreee with Running Arrow Bill about little varitey to make it look little more interesting

al

I have one question-How do you catch a Longhorn in a headgate or otherwise? I'm talking about one with a 55" spread. Actually, I have a lot of questions about Longhorns. My handling facilities couldn't accomodate 55'' (or even close to that) horns and I don't think the stockyard where I sell animals could handle him either. Do you cut his horns off before you sell him? If you do, how do you hold him while you're cutting them off? I'm just curious and am looking for some straight answers here. :roll: And one more thing: Do you get a lot of injuries in your herd from all those horns?

ga. prime":2vpnyi1q said:
I have one question-How do you catch a Longhorn in a headgate or otherwise?

For smaller animals on up to a year old or so, I work them in a normal Priefert headgate attched to a 30" wide chute.
There are special squeeze chutes on the market for bigger Longhorn cattle. Another alternate, is to build a medina hinge, which is basically two big gates, hinged about 18" apart, where you can squeeze a big cow to restrain it.

My handling facilities couldn't accomodate 55'' (or even close to that) horns and I don't think the stockyard where I sell animals could handle him either. Do you cut his horns off before you sell him? If you do, how do you hold him while you're cutting them off?

No, we don't cut the horns off before selling. That's what most people are after when they buy a longhorn. There is a local sale barn that hosts 5 or 6 regstered longhorn sales a year, and they handle them ok with their normal facilities.

I'm just curious and am looking for some straight answers here. :roll: And one more thing: Do you get a lot of injuries in your herd from all those horns?

They do know how to use those horns and will muscle their way around the feed through or hay bale with them, but so far we haven't had any injuries. Since they all have horns, guess they are evenly matched in the weapon department, except for size. I don't run any polled cattle with the longhorns.

One of the main advantages of crossing Longhorns on other breeds is calving ease. Especially on first time heifers. The calves are born small but they really grow fast. Breed them to polled cows and usually there's no horns. Polled is dominant. I just had a guy call me yesterday wanting a young bull to put on his black baldy heifers-says he's tired of pulling dead calves. Is currently using an Angus or it's supposed to be one. Please don't take offense-I'm not knocking Angus or any other breed. l have sold several of these bulls for breeding first calvers. I told the fellow to come look at a solid black Longhorn bull that I have.

Our cattle are easy to work because we are around them alot and they are gentle. I haven't bought a Longhorn chute yet but plan to get one. Right now I corner the grown ones one at a time in the corral and use a corral panel to squeeze them up and do what ever I need to do.

We sure don't cut the horns off-horns bring money to Longhorn breeders. But I will tell a story that I was told when I was in Ft Worth last month about a guy (I believe he was supposedly in Missouri) who bought up every solid black Longhorn he could find and bred them and sold the bulls as easy calving composite black bulls. I was told that this fellow would have the horns surgically removed while the calves were young and had a big market for these bulls to commercial cattlemen. He didn't tell these folks that they were buying Longhorns. I guess he was eventually found out and that was the end of that. I don't know if this is true or not but this is what I was told and I'm not saying that I would do anything like this. I was told the fellow's name but I don't remember it.

Latest posts