Opinion Needed

Help Support CattleToday:

highgrit":303x7riz said:
I was hoping to see it work out. But right now is a bad time to buy farmland. I guess you might as well make her your best offer. But when I read other farmers had stopped by and talked to her, it didn't look good.

Thanks highgrit ...

Have been following this thread. I figured if it laid good anything under 350 would be a buy. I rent a little 30 acre piece behind me because I can get to it by opening a gate.
Couldn't buy it for 180.

fitz

skyhightree1":13rcpdk9 said:
Yea, I know the other farmers that stopped by and spoke with her we all said the same thing no way. Now there is a real estate developer that has stop by as well. He may give her that price to put a sub division in there he will make that amount back by 10 times fold. I told her id give her $135,000 and thats it tax accessment on property was $ 168,000. I would hate to see that good farm land get turned into a subdivision but im not rich and can't afford her price.

Looks like you may have a subdivision in the neighborhood soon. Developer will make money and so will she. Good deal for both parties.

I was on the tractor doing a lil bit of chisel plowing another farmer I know stopped by and we talked we got on the subject of the land and he told me that he was going to buy that property a long time ago but there is no deeded right of way to the land in front of the land is 1400 acres of timber owned by a timber company and the property is 2.5 miles behind it on a dirt road. He said he didn't want to buy the property and be land locked where he couldn't get too it. so the developer may have to buy a deeded right of way as well.

skyhightree1":vdh5nq86 said:
I was on the tractor doing a lil bit of chisel plowing another farmer I know stopped by and we talked we got on the subject of the land and he told me that he was going to buy that property a long time ago but there is no deeded right of way to the land in front of the land is 1400 acres of timber owned by a timber company and the property is 2.5 miles behind it on a dirt road. He said he didn't want to buy the property and be land locked where he couldn't get too it. so the developer may have to buy a deeded right of way as well.
Time to do some digging into real estate law in your state. Out here you would already have legal access since you've been farming that ground for a few years without contest to your crossing of the neighbor's land. It's not an ironclad easement but you have alot more rights in buying that place than any newcomer would...
You also have a HUGE advantage over anyone who want's to take out a loan to buy the place. Banks won't loan on landlocked property unless they see an easement. You have history of being able to access the property without contest and that eases their minds quite a bit.

cow pollinater":2qmcaogl said:
skyhightree1":2qmcaogl said:
Time to do some digging into real estate law in your state. Out here you would already have legal access since you've been farming that ground for a few years without contest to your crossing of the neighbor's land. It's not an ironclad easement but you have alot more rights in buying that place than any newcomer would...
You also have a HUGE advantage over anyone who want's to take out a loan to buy the place. Banks won't loan on landlocked property unless they see an easement. You have history of being able to access the property without contest and that eases their minds quite a bit.

Great point but this developer is big time he would not need a loan from the bank for that. This is true I will see what i can find out but I don't want to spend money on a lawyer and be in the hole on something I can't afford.

skyhightree1":3vmah8xa said:
How has the current owner been accessing the property all the years she's owned it? If that "dirt road" is a dedicated road and the land actually has frontage on it then it's not landlocked.

The current owner accesses the land by the dirt road.. there is not any state maintained portion of this property at all. The timber company in front allows usage of there road but she has no deeded rights to use that road.

In VA if you have been using the access for years you can petition the judge to grant it as the right of way. VA does not allow it to be landlocked. Been there, done that. It is not terribly complicated but does require a lawyer and a judge. If the timber co. fights it they might drag it out also. Or they might just buy the land themselves. At that asking price I am with you in the thought of telling her good luck.

kenny thomas":2ji6b2u1 said:
In VA if you have been using the access for years you can petition the judge to grant it as the right of way. VA does not allow it to be landlocked. Been there, done that. It is not terribly complicated but does require a lawyer and a judge. If the timber co. fights it they might drag it out also. Or they might just buy the land themselves. At that asking price I am with you in the thought of telling her good luck.

Thanks Kenny there is too much land out there forsale to get caught up on one piece of land. I don't honestly need the land it was more of a want but either way not worth over paying.

I had the same thing this summer with a small farm that joins ours. They ask me 4000 an acre for land that should bring 1500. I offered 2000 an acre and they got mad. We had taken care of this land for 25 years.

Yea, That sucks.. I mean I understand everyone has a price on there property they are selling but anything I sell I do not attach personal value to an item.

skyhightree1":3e3qvab5 said:
Yea, That sucks.. I mean I understand everyone has a price on there property they are selling but anything I sell I do not attach personal value to an item.

On some things I do. Had someone pester me for years to sell them something and I put a ridiculus price on it to get them leave me alone. They countered with some neat little things but I wasn't budging. Two years later after the land market tanked they met the price which was 70% above the appraised value. Apparantly they did want it afterall.

Jogeephus":ie1v9xhk said:
skyhightree1":ie1v9xhk said:

On some things I do. Had someone pester me for years to sell them something and I put a ridiculus price on it to get them leave me alone. They countered with some neat little things but I wasn't budging. Two years later after the land market tanked they met the price which was 70% above the appraised value. Apparantly they did want it afterall.

Yea, If someone wants something bad enough they don't care what the price is which is good for people that are selling and have a totally devoted buyer.

The land I wanted to buy she never even mentioned to me she had a price or put it on the market .. I found out from the realtor someone has bought it and after April 1 i can no longer step foot on it.. I have some winter wheat planted on it and will not be able to harvest it. That lady is a piece of work agent told me you have to take up that with the previous owner.. I love how nice you can be to some people and get screwed in the end not even a hug or kiss. She better not ever call me again also its less land than she stated found out thanks to a survey. http://www.clrsearch.com/Old-Stage-Road ... 1/43593456

She never told me anything she called me 4 days ago said she was planning on keep it for a while guys closing on april 1 so means they signed contract march 1 basically. My contract is good till June 1 2013. My mom and gma said take her to court but I don't feel like or need the headache and bs so I am gonna wash my hands of her and she better not call me ever again. I am done with her. What do you think about it?

Latest posts