OCC Unmistakable 946U

Help Support CattleToday:

ALACOWMAN":xqx9047s said:
well
she'd be welcome at my place

Looking at the picture a little closer she also appears to be springing up which would pronounce that tailset more. Not making excuses for her, just observations.

Jake":1y8xff0i said:
ALACOWMAN":1y8xff0i said:
well

Looking at the picture a little closer she also appears to be springing up which would pronounce that tailset more. Not making excuses for her, just observations.

Which begs the question? How does that tailset affect her calving ease to her daughters. I raise Gelbvieh and deal with tailset as a fault from time to time. I see it sometimes in cows with a good slope from their hooks to their pins and do not consider it a problem. That is not the case in this cow. She is dead level , no slope at all. Personally i would not want to calve out her daughters or grandaughters, unless their pelvic measurements were off the charts.

3waycross":14jt215y said:
Jake":14jt215y said:
ALACOWMAN":14jt215y said:
well

Which begs the question? How does that tailset affect her calving ease to her daughters. I raise Gelbvieh and deal with tailset as a fault from time to time. I see it sometimes in cows with a good slope from their hooks to their pins and do not consider it a problem. That is not the case in this cow. She is dead level , no slope at all. Personally i would not want to calve out her daughters or grandaughters, unless their pelvic measurements were off the charts.

Looking at the slope of the bull and his son in the pictures I don't imagine it carries through to being a huge issue.

That cow is springing, their is a slight slope from hooks to pins (look at the actual bones), she is so long hipped that I can't foresee any calving problems. A tailset like this is often the result of flushing caused by the drugs to superovulate her. I don't know whether she was flushed, but it might explain the pronounced tailset. A similar tailset can also indicate less than ideal ferility, so its something to look into before using the bull.

At the end of the day, its a matter of whether you value good doing ability in a cowherd or not, or whether you even need it in your area. I agree the tailhead is far from ideal, but I'll look into her production record first before I'll decide it bothers me enough not to consider a son of hers. If her record is sound it's no more than a fancy point and at the bottom of my selection criteria.

A comment that is not about this actual bull. I know one of the owners. He had a number of this bulls sons listed on his sale. I didn't go to the sale so I don't know what they were like. The interesting point is just a few short years ago this gentleman was a shorthorn breeder. He sold some club calves that were Angus/shorthorn cross. Then he started having bull sale to sell his shorthorn bulls, a breeders char bulls, and another breeders angus bull. Now within the last few years he is in the angus breeding business. Not that all that is bad but it does make me wonder is this promotion or a solid breeding program.

has anybody went back and looked at this bull again and notice they took the 50k numbers off him or is it i just cant see them?

I'm no judge of conformation - I know what I like, but I never had a 'livestock judging' class. Tailset don't skeer me...
My first thought - beyond her being one of those Ohlde ground sows - noted for being low and thick, is that she looks a lot like any other over-fat donor cow I've ever seen - kinda like photos I've seen of 4465 or any of the ol' gals here: http://www.zwtranch.com/donors.html

ALACOWMAN":1d1e1puj said:
I would'nt think Ohlde would be part of it, if he didnt believe in it.....

Ohlde is part owner. The man I speak owns the other part. The bull was probably sold in one of those half ownership you get possession deals.

Dave":3l2o5was said:
ALACOWMAN":3l2o5was said:
I would'nt think Ohlde would be part of it, if he didnt believe in it.....

Ohlde is part owner. The man I speak owns the other part. The bull was probably sold in one of those half ownership you get possession deals.
right....no doubt the man is a follower of him.. i figure he's in pretty good company

Latest posts