OCC Unmistakable 946U

Help Support CattleToday:

To answer your 2 questions No & No. But I find his numbers very interesting and somewhat different from most other OCC EPD's, with the YW and $B along with a few other numbers..If those numbers hold up when he is used in more herds, he is very interesting.

Don't know anything about him, but like what I see, like the fact that he is out of an Emblazon daughter

I find him rather interesting as well. I cannot see his actual WW and YW being less at +50 and +85 as those were most likely his interim EPDs and backed fairly consistently in his pedigree. I am trying to remember if I have seen his dam in person or not, I honestly can't remember all of the cows that I worked with around there. Those calves have to flat grow in order for him to be a +13 Milk and hold those kind of growth numbers.

His Dam has the absolute worst tailset i have ever seen on a cow of any breed, he is a -2 for Docility and he has little or no milk. Why would i want to keep one of his dtrs. Also his real world growth numbers are not in line with his EPD's.

He's got some BIIIIIIIG nuts though!

3waycross":1jw856lf said:
His Dam has the absolute worst tailset i have ever seen on a cow of any breed, he is a -2 for Docility and he has little or no milk. Why would i want to keep one of his dtrs. Also his real world growth numbers are not in line with his EPD's.

He's got some BIIIIIIIG nuts though!

The docility epd doesn't bother me at all. I have worked around tims cattle enough that I am not concerned about having temperment issues. I had not noticed the tailset of his dam, guess I don't normally pay muc attention to it. His total epd set is pretty standard for occ cattle, his 50k results must indicate some sort of genetic outliers.

I havent heard of him or seen anything from him if hes what you like thats great but if i understand the 50k right he only ranks within the top 15% of the breed for one trait and thats BW he has lots of traits below the 50% line so im not sure if thats an outliner or not. Thats the way the 50k was explained to me those numbers are the percentage rank in the breed could be wrong.

bse":3bkgl64y said:
I havent heard of him or seen anything from him if hes what you like thats great but if i understand the 50k right he only ranks within the top 15% of the breed for one trait and thats BW he has lots of traits below the 50% line so im not sure if thats an outliner or not. Thats the way the 50k was explained to me those numbers are the percentage rank in the breed could be wrong.

It's not that he ranks at the top of the breed. The intriguing part of the bull for me is that he has those number coming from Ohlde. I'm not sure how to talk about it without getting too lengthy, but for simplicity he is a bull bred for a forage based system that may actually grow.

Again, I'm not saying I like him enough to use him, just intrigued.

Jake":2mrc1pw1 said:
bse":2mrc1pw1 said:

It's not that he ranks at the top of the breed. The intriguing part of the bull for me is that he has those number coming from Ohlde. I'm not sure how to talk about it without getting too lengthy, but for simplicity he is a bull bred for a forage based system that may actually grow.

Again, I'm not saying I like him enough to use him, just intrigued.

I do not know the bull or much about Angus for that matter, but folks need to understand that some cattle lines are bred for a specific purpose. There is no utopic perfect line for all purposes. Less growth is a benefit to a certain extent under certain systems.

Jake and Allforage i do know what your saying and this is just for me this bull is last at 100% in CW so he may eat lots of grass and turn it into guts and bone and if you just take them to the sale barn thats all good. He is at 90% for marbling so probably never make CAB or even choice for that matter JMO.

Jake":3vwzstq5 said:
Anybody seen anything out of him? Or even heard of him?

http://genex.crinet.com/beef/index.php? ... e=1AN01263

I agree with several posters who have commented that this bull is "Interesting!". In my opinion, he has some "outlier" genetics which have 'squirelled' their way into his profile. The tail setting of his dam is a turnoff to me, however I abhor 'single trait selection' decisions, therefore that characteristic alone would not be a deciding factor in my considering this bull. But his numbers certainly do "lurch" toward his being a spin-off toward a forage-based system of breeding combinations! One thought that courses through my mind is - using him in a tightly controlled cross breeding agenda might produce some early maturing and growthy Terminal candidates. I don't like his Milk EPD but, by the same token, I am opposed to the current senseless lunging toward Milk EPD's nudging 40 and above that a lot of breeders are embracing in their rush to "More milk - more milk!". That flies in the face of standardizing moderation of muscling, capacity, increased calving difficulty in replacement heifers due to reduced pelvic area. I will concede that these antagonistic traits are not strong, but if one is selecting type cattle for long term seedstock cattle, you had better be pretty 'picky' in your selection choices! Bottom line for me: this bull would serve the purpose IF you don't keep replacement heifers from him, and use him in a crossbreeding protocol for Terminal stock only.

DOC HARRIS

ALACOWMAN":2sxr57vj said:
how many folks AI for terminal use only??? with so many bull's to choose from...

If your going to AI for terminal use I sure wouldn't pick this bull. Lot better terminal options out there.

DOC HARRIS":3j3jm2z3 said:
Jake":3j3jm2z3 said:

I agree with several posters who have commented that this bull is "Interesting!". In my opinion, he has some "outlier" genetics which have 'squirelled' their way into his profile. The tail setting of his dam is a turnoff to me, however I abhor 'single trait selection' decisions, therefore that characteristic alone would not be a deciding factor in my considering this bull. But his numbers certainly do "lurch" toward his being a spin-off toward a forage-based system of breeding combinations! One thought that courses through my mind is - using him in a tightly controlled cross breeding agenda might produce some early maturing and growthy Terminal candidates. I don't like his Milk EPD but, by the same token, I am opposed to the current senseless lunging toward Milk EPD's nudging 40 and above that a lot of breeders are embracing in their rush to "More milk - more milk!". That flies in the face of standardizing moderation of muscling, capacity, increased calving difficulty in replacement heifers due to reduced pelvic area. I will concede that these antagonistic traits are not strong, but if one is selecting type cattle for long term seedstock cattle, you had better be pretty 'picky' in your selection choices! Bottom line for me: this bull would serve the purpose IF you don't keep replacement heifers from him, and use him in a crossbreeding protocol for Terminal stock only.

DOC HARRIS

IF you do want to use this bull you'd be better off to use it to create a low input cowherd.

KNERSIE":2n7jtg6d said:
DOC HARRIS":2n7jtg6d said:
Jake":2n7jtg6d said:

DOC HARRIS

IF you do want to use this bull you'd be better off to use it to create a low input cowherd.

I am like 3way. Go look at his mother in the link and tell me if you would want a batch of heifers with that kind of structure :shock:

For your viewing pleasure...............you gotta be kidding me! :shock:

an1263fcc2476dam.jpg

That has to be the ugliest tail set I have ever seen, it's halfway along her rump! :shock:

ALACOWMAN":2oaelijh said:
ABrauny":2oaelijh said:
That has to be the ugliest tail set I have ever seen, it's halfway along her rump! :shock:
her being pig assed kinda enhances it, she looks like a sure nuff easy keeper

She is by no means a perfect cow (and has significant faults) but she sure is a better all around cow than a lot of stuff we see posted around here.

Jake":1hlwgiwq said:
ALACOWMAN":1hlwgiwq said:
ABrauny":1hlwgiwq said:
her being pig assed kinda enhances it, she looks like a sure nuff easy keeper

She is by no means a perfect cow (and has significant faults) but she sure is a better all around cow than a lot of stuff we see posted around here.
well
she'd be welcome at my place

Latest posts