OCC genetics

Help Support CattleToday:

6807 and some EXT behind a lot of the bulls, but probably as much or more influence from the Dixie Erica of CH 1019 cow as anything else.
Have a look at their website - you can see what's behind most of their sires: www.ohldecattle.com

Jake":5ghsbwwp said:
Lucky_P":5ghsbwwp said:
6807 and some EXT behind a lot of the bulls, but probably as much or more influence from the Dixie Erica of CH 1019 cow as anything else.
Have a look at their website - you can see what's behind most of their sires: http://www.ohldecattle.com

Alot of the cow lines go back to F0203
Pretty smart linebreeding back to a good momma cow. I have been researching Angus bloodlines the last several weeks to make myself familiar with them in case I buy an Angus bull. I'm a Hereford and Beefmaster man,but a quarter ($.25) a pound difference at the sale barn can make me a reluctant Angus man. I'm leaning towards the Ohlde, Wye,Shoshone,or Cole Creek bloodlines. There are breeders with close to me with OCC and Wye genetics.

AllForage":crwx27kw said:
Good choices, if I was a Angus guy I would be thinking those same herds.

Absolutely correct!

Carefully research and analyize the Multiple Trait Selection traits behind and included in almost ALL of the Ohlde and Wye genetics. They stress low maintenance, moderate birth weight, moderate milk production, moderate marbling (because Angus genetics already have outstanding IMF in their breed genetics!), enhanced rib eye volume, and superior growth genetics in addition to other Multiple Trait Selection characteristics which combine to mold a PROFITABLE MARKETABLE PRODUCT for the goal of producing a seedstock machine which will reproduce itself over and over and over!

What more could one ask for?? Seedstock which will provide genetics to take advantage of crossbreeding hybrid vigor (heterosis) protocols and provide high carcass merit cattle for the Terminal producers.

DOC HARRIS

DOC,
Biggest thing that's kept me away from most OCC breeding is the below breed-average maternal calving ease many of their bulls have.
It's certainly not in the neighborhood of Cherokee Canyon or Heat Wave - but it is a trait that I place some emphasis on when selecting sires for replacement females.

Lucky_P":30fh3s65 said:
DOC,
Biggest thing that's kept me away from most OCC breeding is the below breed-average maternal calving ease many of their bulls have.
It's certainly not in the neighborhood of Cherokee Canyon or Heat Wave - but it is a trait that I place some emphasis on when selecting sires for replacement females.

Ohlde cattle have faults like all cattle but I had to look back 2 2008 to find any calveing trouble that had any Ohlde influence and that was out of a little clubby heifer. I might get some **** for this but 6807 IMO was no great cow maker it was the original cow herd bred to focus or ext that will make bulls that make cows. I would use the linebreed 6807 stuff to make feeder cattle that would excell in a grass fat deal or so you can say look how cool and fat my cattle are.

Does anybody know if there are any performance records for Dixie Erica of CH 1019? I was just curious about her longevity and how many calves that she had over a period of years.

Post Oak":1bl4p2pe said:
Does anybody know if there are any performance records for Dixie Erica of CH 1019? I was just curious about her longevity and how many calves that she had over a period of years.

I know she lived until she was around 20 years old, same way with her daughter 816B.

Jake":2h5x1nbd said:
Post Oak":2h5x1nbd said:

I know she lived until she was around 20 years old, same way with her daughter 816B.
Thanks . That's just what I was wanting to know. I just spoke to fella with an Emblazon 854 sired bull for sale.

DOC HARRIS":2eg40xeu said:
AllForage":2eg40xeu said:

Absolutely correct!

Carefully research and analyize the Multiple Trait Selection traits behind and included in almost ALL of the Ohlde and Wye genetics. They stress low maintenance, moderate birth weight, moderate milk production, moderate marbling (because Angus genetics already have outstanding IMF in their breed genetics!), enhanced rib eye volume, and superior growth genetics in addition to other Multiple Trait Selection characteristics which combine to mold a PROFITABLE MARKETABLE PRODUCT for the goal of producing a seedstock machine which will reproduce itself over and over and over!

What more could one ask for?? Seedstock which will provide genetics to take advantage of crossbreeding hybrid vigor (heterosis) protocols and provide high carcass merit cattle for the Terminal producers.

DOC HARRIS

Doc,

My reason for starting with those herds if I did angus would be the linebreeding. At least I would be benefitting from the bred in prepotency and have a good chance of their cattle actually passing on their traits with consistency. All those traits you listed don't mean squat to me if the animals cannot pass them on with regularity.

AllForage":2ph9o5ve said:
DOC HARRIS":2ph9o5ve said:
AllForage":2ph9o5ve said:

Absolutely correct!

DOC HARRIS

Doc,

My reason for starting with those herds if I did angus would be the linebreeding. At least I would be benefitting from the bred in prepotency and have a good chance of their cattle actually passing on their traits with consistency. All those traits you listed don't mean squat to me if the animals cannot pass them on with regularity.

Can't say I always agree with you AF, but this sentence needs emphasizing!! :tiphat:

jhambley":29ok8m3s said:
Ohlde cattle have faults like all cattle

What about feet and fertility?

Fertility issues can be a problem, feet not so much in my experience. Udders are the best in the nation that I have ever seen of any breed hands down!

The biggest downfall can be the growth, look through the bull offering in their sale and there isn't much for even average growth.

Does a +15 $EN really make up for 40# of WW or YW? Say the spread on $EN is 25 bucks. That's only 16.67 pounds of calf at $1.50

Jake":2sv12jog said:
jhambley":2sv12jog said:
Ohlde cattle have faults like all cattle

What about feet and fertility?

Fertility issues can be a problem, feet not so much in my experience. Udders are the best in the nation that I have ever seen of any breed hands down!

The biggest downfall can be the growth, look through the bull offering in their sale and there isn't much for even average growth.

Does a +15 $EN really make up for 40# of WW or YW? Say the spread on $EN is 25 bucks. That's only 16.67 pounds of calf at $1.50
Are the fertility problems in Ohlde cattle coming from the bull shooting blanks or the cows failing to conceive?

Post Oak":3rxwlk8w said:
Are the fertility problems in Ohlde cattle coming from the bull shooting blanks or the cows failing to conceive?

In some programs they can simply get too fat and have trouble breeding but first calf heifer breed back can be an issue at times.

Jake":1th5x9gd said:
Post Oak":1th5x9gd said:

In some programs they can simply get too fat and have trouble breeding but first calf heifer breed back can be an issue at times.
Are the Wye cattle more fertile than the Ohlde cattle?

Post Oak":2otnns1t said:
Jake":2otnns1t said:
Post Oak":2otnns1t said:

Are the Wye cattle more fertile than the Ohlde cattle?

Oldtimer will have to attest to that I have spent little to no time around wye genetics

Latest posts