Nurse Cows

Help Support CattleToday:

Double R Ranch

Reaction score
Hello all,
I was hoping to hear from those of you who have nurse cows. I have read of this a bit on her and heard of others doing it and getting enjoyment out of it. I was hoping you could tell me the basics about them.
Ie. Picking a nurse cow, "training" a nurse cow (if any)(halter braking? etc.), care of a nurse cow, how to tell how many calves and also when to add calves and when to wean and let calve again. Obviously you would wean the usuall dry period before calving.
Any info would be great. Have an option for inexpensive drop calves and was looking at a 4 month old holstein that was offered to me for a VERY REASONABLE price.
thanks for the info.
DBL R

Well, we have been using nurse cows for the last few years. The best way to get a good one would be to find one with previous experience. However, we have never been that lucky. Some cows make good nurse cows, and some don't, and the only way to find out for sure, is to get one and see. Most holstiens have never had a calf suck them, and it is a major adjustment for them. They are not used to having calves bunt them, and that I find is what causes the majority of problems.

Having said that, training depends on the cow. We have had cows that needed no training at all. It seemed that they had yearned for a calf for long enough, that when given the opportunity, they would take any and all calves that the could. The 2 we have at the moment, we started by headgating the cow and letting the calves suck (twice a day) for a couple days. Then moved them to a larger pen for 24/7 contact, and went from there. Both needed to be hobbled for a few days, just to keep them from kicking while they adjusted. Once they adjust to the idea of calves, they are pretty good. In subsequent years, you may need to hobble the cow for a few days, to get her to accept new calves. To restrain her you may or may not need to halter her. So it is not a bad idea to halter break her to begin with.

We have also had cows that simply did not make nurse cows. Unless, you wanted to stand out there twice a day and observe, they would not let other calves suck. This cow was a darn good milk cow, just not a nurse cow, and I had no interest in having to go out and work with her twice a day. Might as well be milking and/or bottlefeeding in that case.

Now, I presume you mean you have found a 4 year old holstien?! ;-) . As for how many calves you can put on her, if you know what she was milking on the line that will help you to decide. A calf needs about 1 gal/ day. Keep in mind though, that she will only milk as well as you feed her. If you are planning on pasturing she will not milk near as well, as she will being fed grain. And a lot of grain, if you expect her to milk a lot.

thanks for the info! No I did mean 4 month old. That is why I am asking. If I can get this heifer I want to know what the process is etc for a nurse cow " in training".
I realize that it is a time off but wanted to know what I would be getting into before I said yes I'll take her. I have beef cows and there isn't a one of them I would dream of using as a nurse cow (other than the obvious amount of milk issue).
Thanks for the info once again. Would love any other advice you may have on this issue.
Double R

Halterbreaking the cow will definately help alot in the future.

Although I am sure milkmaid will disagree with me, in my experience and that of my dad who had been a dairy farmer for almost 40 years, jerseys tend to make a better nurse cow and will accept a calf more readily than the average holstein.

A couple of years ago I needed a nurse cow. I went to a dairy farmer friend who let me use a cow he was going to cull due to a high somatic cell count. I used her all summer on 4 calves, then gave her back to him that fall. Was a win/win for both of us. She was the easiest cow I've ever broke for a nurse cow. I just put her in the chute for about 3 days morning and night and let the calves suck. come fall she was one of the hardest ones to wean.

Yes I am sure. She is one the dairy is raising as a replacement heifer but isn't growing as fast as the rest, they don't want to put the time into a slower growing heifer but as a nurse cow I don't mind if she is taking a bit longer to grow. She is a perfectly good heifer just isn't keeping up as well as the others.
Don't know if we are getting her yet but look forward to doing it in the future if we don't get her now.
Double R

Double R -- sometimes BVD PI animals are slow growers that just don't seem to do as well as the others. Think I'd have her tested before purchase.

Keep in mind you get what you pay for; sometimes it's well worth it to purchase a decent animal, esp if you plan on keeping her.

milkmaid":3jm4a95z said:
Double R -- sometimes BVD PI animals are slow growers that just don't seem to do as well as the others. Think I'd have her tested before purchase.

Keep in mind you get what you pay for; sometimes it's well worth it to purchase a decent animal, esp if you plan on keeping her.

As always thanks for the info. The dairyman has said that I can have her tested for whatever I need before I take her. He is a good guy and doesn't want to sell me any sick animals. He has told me upfront what problems they have around there. I think if it does work out I will have her BVD tested. Thats a good idea. If I am not mistaken Biopryn does it now for inexpensive. Take care and I will let you know the results if it goes that far. He may still decide to keep her. He says he has a soft spot for her (which we all have had at one time or another :lol: )
Double R

Latest posts