Not your stereotypical farming crowd

Help Support CattleToday:

Hunter":bzp5dpbl said:
There are about 252 business days a year so I am sure there are some in other industries that work about the same as a teacher after vacation days/sick days and holidays. Not sure you could pay me enough to be a teacher nowadays between the parents and kids.
Also, like every industry you have good and bad employees. The good teachers will put in extra hours before and after school along with time on the weekends.

Unless your industry has 24/7/365 working days.
You need to look at in hours a day versus days.
I worked a job we worked 12 hours a day versus the average 8.
More days off more hours at work a day. Lot of jobs in my industry work 14 days a month off 14 that put in more hours a week.

I don't think I would have the patience or reserve to be a teacher in public schools myself unless it was a small town or rural school.

M-5; In the bad old days, I've gone to the local jailhouse and bars to find oilfield workers in the past.
I always tried to keep enough cash to pay bail/fines for disturbing the peace and public drunkenness too if I didn't want to be shorthanded or work hands double shifts. Theirs was a stereotype too but pretty much well earned. I had to, on separate occasions, bail out two different drilling superintendents and the company vice president for fighting in bars. Work hard/play hard. Down in Karnes City, South Texas, a floorhand didn't show up back at the location and I found him in city jail for public drunkenness. The jailer told me the squad car officer found him crawling along in the grass after the bars closed. When the officer asked what he was doing down there, he said "Looking for little bitty women".

M-5":v1i8tgvc said:
Hunter":v1i8tgvc said:
There are about 252 business days a year so I am sure there are some in other industries that work about the same as a teacher after vacation days/sick days and holidays. Not sure you could pay me enough to be a teacher nowadays between the parents and kids.
Also, like every industry you have good and bad employees. The good teachers will put in extra hours before and after school along with time on the weekends.

I don't know how it is in other states, but a teacher couldn't get by with being lazy here. My description of lazy would be not doing their job and giving the kids what they need. People measure work differently. Regardless of how hard I work as a teacher, I'm not going to look like I put on black shingles in 100 degree weather all day, but there are days when I think I would be less tired if I had done that instead.

We are held to high standards. We have to be busy from bell to bell engaging the students in rigorous, educational activities. The stereotype of a teacher who pops in a movie or reads the paper while the kids do a worksheet wouldn't retain a teaching job very long here. There are frequent walk-throughs as monitoring.

So, I don't know how teachers are able to be lazy these days.

Caustic Burno":21mby84y said:
Hunter":21mby84y said:

Unless your industry has 24/7/365 working days.
You need to look at in hours a day versus days.
I worked a job we worked 12 hours a day versus the average 8.
More days off more hours at work a day. Lot of jobs in my industry work 14 days a month off 14 that put in more hours a week.

I don't disagree. Each industry is different from teachers to firefighters to gov't workers.
If I could work 10 hour days and get every Friday off I would.

My civics teacher used to give us a reading assignment, then hold up the unfolded Houston Chronicle newspaper to hide the fact he was smoking a cigarette at his desk. The wisps of smoke of course gave it away.

Another misconception, stereotype, of teachers is that we get paid for all that time off, but we do not. We may get off 3 months in the summer, but we don't get paid for it as some think.

We are also on a set salary. If we have to stay over 3 hours every day for a week of training, we don't get paid for it. When we stay over extra hours for activities, we don't get paid for it. It's the only job in my area where you clock a lot of hours that you don't get compensated for.

herofan":3hw2pykv said:
M-5":3hw2pykv said:
Hunter":3hw2pykv said:

I don't know how it is in other states, but a teacher couldn't get by with being lazy here. My description of lazy would be not doing their job and giving the kids what they need. People measure work differently. Regardless of how hard I work as a teacher, I'm not going to look like I put on black shingles in 100 degree weather all day, but there are days when I think I would be less tired if I had done that instead.

We are held to high standards. We have to be busy from bell to bell engaging the students in rigorous, educational activities. The stereotype of a teacher who pops in a movie or reads the paper while the kids do a worksheet wouldn't retain a teaching job very long here. There are frequent walk-throughs as monitoring.

So, I don't know how teachers are able to be lazy these days.

I have a good amount of teachers and school administrators in my family. Not a single one is lazy nor could they be and most will put in plenty of time up at school or working at home after the kids go to bed.
Maybe, the stereotype needs to change with teachers just like it should with farmers.

herofan":22fbflm7 said:
Another misconception, stereotype, of teachers is that we get paid for all that time off, but we do not. We may get off 3 months in the summer, but we don't get paid for it as some think.

We are also on a set salary. If we have to stay over 3 hours every day for a week of training, we don't get paid for it. When we stay over extra hours for activities, we don't get paid for it. It's the only job in my area where you clock a lot of hours that you don't get compensated for.
So, you get no paycheck at all deposited in your account during the 3 months off..is that correct?

greybeard":2ad8uf7p said:
herofan":2ad8uf7p said:

So, you get no paycheck at all deposited in your account during the 3 months off..is that correct?

We do get deposits, but it's our 9-month salary divided equally among 12 months, we don't actually get a salary for the days we don't work. In the old days here, they didn't get a check in the summer, and I believe some of the poorer money managers almost starved to death during the summer; therefore, they divided the salary so they also got money in the summer. The checks are smaller, but they do get some money.

greybeard":zpssugwz said:
herofan":zpssugwz said:

They get paid for 9 months but it is divided into 12 equal payments. Most go back to work a month early. So they work 10 months and get paid for 9 but spaced out over 12. Is that as clear as mud

The teachers around here adverage $800.00 dollars a week 52 weeks a year. They also get paid sick days that go into some kind of account towards retirement if not used. Teacher's are definitely overlooked but not under paid.

herofan":b7pm57j6 said:

I don't disagree at all but as a salaried employee I get paid that amount if I get to work early or stay late.
Teachers can also supplement their income by working during the summer.
Teachers in Missouri are blessed to have a great retirement. 30 years or rule of 80 and you are done with a very good retirement. Most are young enough to go teach at a private school or if close enough to state line go work in Kansas.

Again, I am not knocking on teachers at all.

herofan":2yu63zyc said:
greybeard":2yu63zyc said:
herofan":2yu63zyc said:

We do get deposits, but it's our 9-month salary divided equally among 12 months, we don't actually get a salary for the days we don't work. In the old days here, they didn't get a check in the summer, and I believe some of the poorer money managers almost starved to death during the summer; therefore, they divided the salary so they also got money in the summer. The checks are smaller, but they do get some money.
Actually it's your "annual" salary as agreed to and signed by you then divided by 12 and paid out each month. Not sure about your area but down here you have an option of taking your annual salary in 12 equal payments or 9 payments. Either way you get paid for the summer....it's just prepaid if you take the 9 equal payment option. You are only teaching students 6-7 hours a day so it won't hurt you do donate an hour to the kids making a total of 8 for the day like most other folks do. Many teachers also get a "conference" period which is basically an hour to BS with buddies in the teachers lounge.

TexasBred":1re9grrx said:
herofan":1re9grrx said:
greybeard":1re9grrx said:

Actually it's your "annual" salary as agreed to and signed by you then divided by 12 and paid out each month. Not sure about your area but down here you have an option of taking your annual salary in 12 equal payments or 9 payments. Either way you get paid for the summer....it's just prepaid if you take the 9 equal payment option. You are only teaching students 6-7 hours a day so it won't hurt you do donate an hour to the kids making a total of 8 for the day like most other folks do. Many teachers also get a "conference" period which is basically an hour to BS with buddies in the teachers lounge.
That's how I've always understood it works with public school employees, from talking to my 2 nieces and my brother. A contracted yearly salary divided up by 12 months, 52 weeks or 26 weeks if you get paid bi-weekly (paid every 2 weeks instead of weekly). Same with the military--sort of. You get paid the same amt all year long no matter how many hrs or days you are actually on duty. $800/week is way more than I ever made in the military too, including my time in-country, but I wouldn't be opposed with teachers getting an equivalent of combat pay if the situation warranted it either.

Hourly wages and salary promote unproductivity. In most fishing businesses, there is no hourly wage or salary. Never has been and never will be. Deckhands & Captain are both paid a percentage of production. Sometimes hours are very long with minimal $$$ for the effort. Other times not so long, but always more than 40hrs per week. The goal is always the same, catch as much valued product as you can with as minimal expense as possible. I can see where other businesses would benefit by paying workers according to production. It would take some thought and figuring out for some businesses but it would weed out loafers fairly quick and force people to be productive. But Unions and Government would probably not like that would they?

Part of my earlier point has been made. All salaried employees negotiate a yearly salary and in my 25yrs of being on salary it states hours of work are for what duty calls. The frequency of payment can be negotiated , teachers do get paid to be off 3months just like I get paid for my 15days of vacation each year.

Don't forget Thanksgiving break Christmas break spring break and in-service days where they all meet at the BBQ joint after a long 2 hrs of listening to the superintendent. If actual hours worked was tallyed the bag boy at grocery store probably puts more actual hours in. I do appreciate teachers because it takes a special person but I don't feel sorry for them.

zirlottkim":1keb63ko said:
Hourly wages and salary promote unproductivity. In most fishing businesses, there is no hourly wage or salary. Never has been and never will be. Deckhands & Captain are both paid a percentage of production. Sometimes hours are very long with minimal $$$ for the effort. Other times not so long, but always more than 40hrs per week. The goal is always the same, catch as much valued product as you can with as minimal expense as possible. I can see where other businesses would benefit by paying workers according to production. It would take some thought and figuring out for some businesses but it would weed out loafers fairly quick and force people to be productive. But Unions and Government would probably not like that would they?
They get to where they're not casting as many times as the other guys I guess. Or reeling their lines in slower?

Oilfield used to be what they call turn key. No pay until the well was complete. Now it's all day rates. They thought it would reduce injuries this way because everybody would slow down. I'm sure we work a slower pace than they used. To keep them honest the driller has to keep them moving or move them out.

Other than bonuses, NFL player salaries are divided into 16 game day checks paid the day after a game, leaving them to have to get by with no pay check for the other 36 weeks of the year. :cry2: