Not your stereotypical farming crowd

Help Support CattleToday:

I'm laughing! Hubby and I were featured in the Achievement Section of the local paper a few years ago, the title of the piece was "Green Acres: Winfield Edition". Evidently, as far as the locals are concerned, the similarities were noteworthy/interesting/funny/something to gossip about. :banana:

TennesseeTuxedo":rbqxqyyv said:
I'm a little like Oliver.
He forgets too this bunch of cattle folks are fully fueled by BS, cut and paste of what the real experts say, all topped off occasionally with real life happenings. (Never believe Black Raven, Jogee, Fenceman or ME) :cowboy:

haase":3pqwnxye said:
You mean that I'm the only one climbing a telephonepole to answer my phone?
Right behind you. Can't use ours downstairs, the workshop, certain areas of the property, occasionally I have to migrate around the house so people can hear/understand me (primarily my mother but in that case bad reception is questionable).

herofan":26a1jvos said:
I also saw another thread where someone drove several hours for some kind of poetry event.
Hey it was Cowboy poetry..... There is a difference. No Poe, Frost, or other high nosed types. I do have a Harvard education. It was Harvard Elementary but they taught me important stuff, like reading and such.

Dave":o2f8vza9 said:
herofan":o2f8vza9 said:
I also saw another thread where someone drove several hours for some kind of poetry event.
Hey it was Cowboy poetry..... There is a difference. No Poe, Frost, or other high nosed types. I do have a Harvard education. It was Harvard Elementary but they taught me important stuff, like reading and such. i have a college education too. I have attended four different colleges. Dropped out four times. One of these days I might just stay at one long enough to get a piece of paper saying I was there.

TexasBred":1mrqmgwo said:
TennesseeTuxedo":1mrqmgwo said:
I'm a little like Oliver.
He forgets too this bunch of cattle folks are fully fueled by BS, cut and paste of what the real experts say, all topped off occasionally with real life happenings. (Never believe Black Raven, Jogee, Fenceman or ME) :cowboy:
au contraire....you just have to have enough horse sense to know When you've slipped in something that's true. ;-)

I didn't recognize the names and I walk around the place singing the entire Green Acres song regularly. And this Harvard educated poet doesn't have a cell phone. Never did see a need for a electronic leash.

On CT, the wealth of knowledge is usually > the wealth of ignorance.
[I said USUALLY. :lol: ]

Actually, I think there are people here with lots of knowledge on all sorts of different things. [And only one (or two) that are disagreeable just because they enjoy it. ;-) ]

I too enjoy the history discussions (even though I don't understand half of it). And our thread on labor relations was epic.

M-5":35pfrv8q said:
herofan":35pfrv8q said:
I'm just making an observation; the more I read on the forum, the more I realize it's not made up if the stereotypical farming crowd.

You guys not only invest in the stock market, but you actually seem to have an understanding of it to the point you discuss it.

It also seems like everyone here is an historical expert as well. I can recall several threads where the finer points of history were thrashed out.

If they based Sam Elliot's character on "The Ranch" on you guys, it would be a totally different show.

define typical , If you are looking for the folks you are describing They are not connected to the interweb there form of learning like our forefathers is done more on a personable level. I can show you non-typical farmers that don't even tote a cell phone. Most here do have some expertise in areas other than AG .

I just meant that if someone were looking to gain knowledge on history or the stock market, going to a cattle forum probably wouldn't be their first choice to pursue that knowledge. I'd guess it probably wouldn't be on the list at all. That doesn't fit the stereotype of a farmer.

herofan":o0mdlbw3 said:
M-5":o0mdlbw3 said:
herofan":o0mdlbw3 said:
I'm just making an observation; the more I read on the forum, the more I realize it's not made up if the stereotypical farming crowd.

You guys not only invest in the stock market, but you actually seem to have an understanding of it to the point you discuss it.

It also seems like everyone here is an historical expert as well. I can recall several threads where the finer points of history were thrashed out.

If they based Sam Elliot's character on "The Ranch" on you guys, it would be a totally different show.

define typical , If you are looking for the folks you are describing They are not connected to the interweb there form of learning like our forefathers is done more on a personable level. I can show you non-typical farmers that don't even tote a cell phone. Most here do have some expertise in areas other than AG .

I just meant that if someone were looking to gain knowledge on history or the stock market, going to a cattle forum probably wouldn't be their first choice to pursue that knowledge. I'd guess it probably wouldn't be on the list at all. That doesn't fit the stereotype of a farmer.
I disagree, farmers fulltime or part-time are the original business man. The diversity in today's society doesn't mean hogs, cows, pnuts, cotton and a produce stand. Today a farmer runs a couple of things and uses stock market and technology to diversify differently. A person that does not study history is doomed to repeat it. From my experience the some of the most intelligent men I've ever known only had minimal education.

herofan":vt496niu said:
I see the same type interaction and exchange of ideas, thoughts and experience on at least one other of the 4 boards I frequent...in that board's version of 'coffee shop'. It's a car forum, but just because a group of people have a mutual interest in a specific subject doesn't mean some (or many) don't have other significantly 'hot irons in the fire' as well.
It shouldn't surprise you either.
You may just be looking at things backwards. Stock market investors come from all walks of life nowadays. Mechanics, grade school teachers, nurses, plumbers..just about everyone. My father was both a part time cowman and a full time refinery worker, but invested in stock market beginning in 1941 until his death in 2007 and he did pretty good with it. I learned a lot about the market and investing from him.
Instead of looking at it from the aspect of ag folks with investment knowledge, look at it from another (larger) perspective. Investors, that also have ag interests or experience.

With the advent of employer supported 401s, IRAs and other retirement programs, there are millions more (and different types) of investors now.

Continuing with the opposite view of things, it's also true that the 'stereotypical' investor is no longer a guy in a suit and tie sitting at a desk and having martinis for lunch at some posh private club uptown. You and I and those like us are now the stereotypical stock investor.

M-5":1dqaoumt said:
herofan":1dqaoumt said:
M-5":1dqaoumt said:

I disagree, farmers fulltime or part-time are the original business man. The diversity in today's society doesn't mean hogs, cows, pnuts, cotton and a produce stand. Today a farmer runs a couple of things and uses stock market and technology to diversify differently. A person that does not study history is doomed to repeat it. From my experience the some of the most intelligent men I've ever known only had minimal education.

Ok. I didnt itend for it to get so serious. Actually, I was just making an observation and trying to be lighthearted. I assume we know the definition of stereotype. Stereotypes are usually oversimplified images held by a lot of people but not necessarily true. That's what I was referring to instead of reality.

If my garbage man wore a tuxedo and blasted Beethoven and someone said, "he's not your stereotypical garbage man," I'd know exactly what he meant.

M-5":n283ekbk said:
Kinda like the stereotype school teachers only work part time most I know are really lazy and complain about having to work while off 3 months in the summer.
Someone has to teach the millennials that you only need to work 200 days a year.

There are about 252 business days a year so I am sure there are some in other industries that work about the same as a teacher after vacation days/sick days and holidays. Not sure you could pay me enough to be a teacher nowadays between the parents and kids.
Also, like every industry you have good and bad employees. The good teachers will put in extra hours before and after school along with time on the weekends.

M-5":1usx5ypq said:
Kinda like the stereotype school teachers only work part time most I know are really lazy and complain about having to work while off 3 months in the summer.

Correct. Teachers have a stereotype just like everything else, and that's probably one of their stereotypical characteristics.

Hunter":lnqp3fda said:
There are about 252 business days a year so I am sure there are some in other industries that work about the same as a teacher after vacation days/sick days and holidays. Not sure you could pay me enough to be a teacher nowadays between the parents and kids.
Also, like every industry you have good and bad employees. The good teachers will put in extra hours before and after school along with time on the weekends.

I agree and I know a couple of really hard working teachers .
Last time I checked a teacher works about 180 days per year . I don't know anyone in private sector getting 70 work days a year off. Right or wrong I couldn't do it. But we are talking about stereotype.

herofan":29y8tmcx said:
M-5":29y8tmcx said:

Correct. Teachers have a stereotype just like everything else, and that's probably one of their stereotypical characteristics.

Roofer ,fence builders, masons and other trafes have a stereo type of being drunks and no dependable. They work very hard to keep their reputation