North Alabama new herd

Help Support CattleToday:

I'm in northeast Alabama so my AI technician probably wouldn't help you . Google one of the AI services like Select Sires or ABS , there should be someone in NW Alabama

Welcome to CT... @coachg might want to give you his A.I. tech's number... and he could advise of someone nearer to you... but agree, many vets will do some AI... or... any other farms near you that might do some AI on their own cattle... and could do some for you also...

Also thought of this after the time expired to change my post . Do you have large animal vet ? Many do AI work or know someone who does .
I'll Google one of those, I saw something about ABS when I googled once before just wasn't sure of it since it was posted a few years ago. We are currently looking for a large animal vet, just to have ready and established with for just in cases. I asked a vet who did horses and small animals but she wasn't extremely helpful; just kinda said no and walked away.

Welcome to CT... @coachg might want to give you his A.I. tech's number... and he could advise of someone nearer to you... but agree, many vets will do some AI... or... any other farms near you that might do some AI on their own cattle... and could do some for you also...
Thats true, if his AI tech is fine with that. I dont want to be invasive by no means on anyone and their business. We have a few near by we were thinking of asking them and advice from them.

Again, if you have any neighbors with cattle, introduce yourself and ask who they use for a vet... contact your county extension agent and see if they have any seminars and such... sign up and go to a few, get to know some people... they will also know the vets around the area...
Your local feed store is a good source of local sources... vets, AI, all that... check the bulletin boards at some of them... also your local stockyard would have a vet "on call" so to speak to do preg checks for cows being sold as bred... ask them....
You don't have to get tied down to one person until you find one you like... but more info is good to sift through....

Again, if you have any neighbors with cattle, introduce yourself and ask who they use for a vet... contact your county extension agent and see if they have any seminars and such... sign up and go to a few, get to know some people... they will also know the vets around the area...
Your local feed store is a good source of local sources... vets, AI, all that... check the bulletin boards at some of them... also your local stockyard would have a vet "on call" so to speak to do preg checks for cows being sold as bred... ask them....
You don't have to get tied down to one person until you find one you like... but more info is good to sift through....
That's very true. We have seminars through Alabama cattlemen's association we have been planning on going to, to get some education and familiar with how Alabama is. Plus some extra knowledge never hurts. We check feed store bulletins pretty often, and asked one in town and they said they would check to see if they knew anyone next time we came by. I did not think of the stockyards, that's a good point. I highly appreciate your input and help! As well as @coachg

If the AI tech works for Select Sires or ABS, then getting calls for breeding or advise is part of the job...and can give you a number to call to find someone closer to you.... if he is an independent then he might not be able to help much... but most will try to offer a suggestion to someone... you never know when it will come back to them in some way, to be helpful even if it doesn't directly benefit them...

We have not AI'ed in a few years and I can't find my reps #. But here's one I found that covers north Bama . I'll check with my son to see if he still has it in his phone . IMG_5905.jpeg

Colin Wilson 256-599-3533 saw him at last month's Jackson County Al Cattlemen's meeting . Old age = bad memory. I could think of his first name but not his last .
Perfect! Thank you so much with the names and numbers and info. Definitely will help! I'll reach out to them this week hopefully.

Latest posts