Operating a North Central Texas Small Ranch 2 Hours from Home

Help Support CattleToday:

Twin G

Reaction score
Howdy,

This is going to be way to long of an introduction, but I thought there may be more guys like me out there. Trying to raise cattle remotely.

New member from Graham Texas. My entire life my dream has been to be a cattle rancher, but that isn't the direction life led me. I am 47 years old. I went to Texas A&M and found myself in a corporate job hating life. I managed to break free from that cage and have been self employed working from home for over 15 years. With a little luck I bought 140 acres a few years ago two hours west of my home in Denton. With my dads help we built a 1 room bunkhouse with shop attached, brought electricity and water run onto the property, set up cattle pens, bought an old stock trailer and tractor. About 2 years ago I finally bought my own cows. 6 bred cows and a bull. I also have 15 goats. I recently sold my first set of calves and have a few new ones now. My goal now is to grow the operation. Find some lease land.

The kicker is, I have done all of this driving back and forth from my house. With my wife's job we aren't able to move just yet. Until that day comes I am managing to run a cattle operation 2 hours away. Working from home has made it work pretty well. Not ideal and certainly adds a lot of obstacles, but I am living my dream.

Looking forward to getting to know y'all.

Last edited:
you're correct on cell cams! I have several. I have goats in a pastures that require water troughs. I have cameras on those so I can always know they have water.

my drive is pretty easy. No traffic, nice views. I can drop the kids off at school on my way out of town and work until 5 and be home by dinner.

you're correct on cell cams! I have several. I have goats in a pastures that require water troughs. I have cameras on those so I can always know they have water.

my drive is pretty easy. No traffic, nice views. I can drop the kids off at school on my way out of town and work until 5 and be home by dinner.
Nice. I've heard goats can be a good deal. Looking forward to hearing about it.

Welcome from NE Alabama! I tell everyone to please include your location on your id. May help in future posts so people know where you are . Sounds like you are on the right track . Would hate to be 2 hrs away from my cattle!

Welcome from NE Alabama! I tell everyone to please include your location on your id. May help in future posts so people know where you are . Sounds like you are on the right track . Would hate to be 2 hrs away from my cattle!
My dad grew up picking cotton in west Alabama, close to MS. I spent a lot of summers there. It is very hard to leave the cattle. It is becoming even harder as the operation grows. I am lucky to have a couple people around that keeps their eyes open for me. But it is hard.

I have had groups of cows that I only see once a week for over 20 years. Good neighbors help but that is not always available. One thing I learned quickly is to stock these places with hardy older cows that can take care of themselves. They also need to be somewhat gentle. Nothing that I paid a lot of money for or would be a big loss if one disappeared. The same goes for the bull.

Its inevitable that you will have some deaths or other problems. It goes with the territory. Ear tags with your name and phone number go a long way if something gets out. If the cows are taken care of and have enough to eat, they will generally stay home.

Its actually good experience and you will learn a lot on how to deal with problems. It also goes a long way on helping you identify cows that will work in that type of program. Nice pretty big cows are great, but you can make the most money with some plain old cows that are just good mama's and know how to survive. Good pens are a must, even if they are just made out of panels.
I worked for years on a place with just panels and a headgate.

Howdy,

This is going to be way to long of an introduction, but I thought there may be more guys like me out there. Trying to raise cattle remotely.

New member from Graham Texas. My entire life my dream has been to be a cattle rancher, but that isn't the direction life led me. I am 47 years old. I went to Texas A&M and found myself in a corporate job hating life. I managed to break free from that cage and have been self employed working from home for over 15 years. With a little luck I bought 140 acres a few years ago two hours west of my home in Denton. With my dads help we built a 1 room bunkhouse with shop attached, brought electricity and water run onto the property, set up cattle pens, bought an old stock trailer and tractor. About 2 years ago I finally bought my own cows. 6 bred cows and a bull. I also have 15 goats. I recently sold my first set of calves and have a few new ones now. My goal now is to grow the operation. Find some lease land.

The kicker is, I have done all of this driving back and forth from my house. With my wife's job we aren't able to move just yet. Until that day comes I am managing to run a cattle operation 2 hours away. Working from home has made it work pretty well. Not ideal and certainly adds a lot of obstacles, but I am living my dream.

Looking forward to getting to know y'all.
Very interested in the trials and tribulations of remote ranching.

But let me suggest right away that for future reference in questions and answers it would be useful to have your location on your profile so people don't have to continually ask. It's easy, just click on your profile, top right, and follow the prompts.

We went through Graham last summer, very pretty country. Several guys around here run cattle remotely. Good fences and cows that stay home would be a must for me. Most people hire someone to check the cattle once a week and feed during the winter for them. Check with the local salebarns for day working cowboys. They probably wouldn't charge very much.

22 years ago I started my dream job that was 1 1/2 hour drive away from my farm. Now my dream is to retire and not drive that every workday. the hardest part for me is not being there during calving season because anyone that has cows calving knows how many things can go wrong. So it can be done and hopefully you and your wife/family can move to your ranch and be happy ever after. good luck

Very interested in the trials and tribulations of remote ranching.

But let me suggest right away that for future reference in questions and answers it would be useful to have your location on your profile so people don't have to continually ask. It's easy, just click on your profile, top right, and follow the prompts.
appreciate the suggestion. I added my location. Still working on getting my profile setup.

I had spypoint, but have switched all of mine to tactacam reveal X Pro's. I really like them. Adding solar panels to them now.
I run tactacams also. Been pretty happy so far. I have seen other brands with better picture quality though but the service was not as good Only one I heard that is comparable to tactacam is Wise Eye. Supposedly great service and a good product.

These solar panels are the same company that makes tactacams. They also have different antenna options.

Welcome.
One of my places is an hour and a half from my home, luckily I have a neighbor that helps keep an eye on things, he also bales my hay.
I built a house there, and my son lives there now with his family.
I have cell cams on another place that's four hours away, it's for the wildlife, I let someone run cattle on it.
I have a SPYPOINT, and tried to put up another one but couldn't get it to work, the other guys that I let hunt use moultrie I think, and they have a lot better service than I do with SPYPOINT, I won't buy any more SPYPOINT cameras.

I have had groups of cows that I only see once a week for over 20 years. Good neighbors help but that is not always available. One thing I learned quickly is to stock these places with hardy older cows that can take care of themselves. They also need to be somewhat gentle. Nothing that I paid a lot of money for or would be a big loss if one disappeared. The same goes for the bull.

Its inevitable that you will have some deaths or other problems. It goes with the territory. Ear tags with your name and phone number go a long way if something gets out. If the cows are taken care of and have enough to eat, they will generally stay home.

Its actually good experience and you will learn a lot on how to deal with problems. It also goes a long way on helping you identify cows that will work in that type of program. Nice pretty big cows are great, but you can make the most money with some plain old cows that are just good mama's and know how to survive. Good pens are a must, even if they are just made out of panels.
I worked for years on a place with just panels and a headgate.
Surely you have enough area on the 140 acres to make into a satisfactory landing strip. Buy plane, learn how to fly, and have fun staying out of traffic.
Funny thing is the neighborhood I live in has a little runway and several guys have planes. One neighbor flies to his place in Oklahoma to check cows.

Welcome.
One of my places is an hour and a half from my home, luckily I have a neighbor that helps keep an eye on things, he also bales my hay.
I built a house there, and my son lives there now with his family.
I have cell cams on another place that's four hours away, it's for the wildlife, I let someone run cattle on it.
I have a SPYPOINT, and tried to put up another one but couldn't get it to work, the other guys that I let hunt use moultrie I think, and they have a lot better service than I do with SPYPOINT, I won't buy any more SPYPOINT cameras.
My dads having the same problems. He is switching away from SPYPOINT also.

We went through Graham last summer, very pretty country. Several guys around here run cattle remotely. Good fences and cows that stay home would be a must for me. Most people hire someone to check the cattle once a week and feed during the winter for them. Check with the local salebarns for day working cowboys. They probably wouldn't charge very much.
I am lucky enough to have a guy checking his oil well every day. He has been a God send for me. Keeps an eye on things for me. Knows everybody. Good advice.