North Florida Homesteader

Help Support CattleToday:

Thunter

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm new to this forum and forums in general.
My family and I are from north Florida. It's old dairy farms where I am at and they have all sold out to development. There are only a few small ranches around us left. I was not raised around cattle or much livestock at all.
We wanted to get a meat cow so my neighbor gave me a calf around 4 years ago.
She didn't have her sucking instinct and her mom rejected her. Had to tube feed her for a few months until she would start eating hay and grain. Tough start for my first cow but I was hooked. 1 cow turned into 2. 2 turned into 10 and so on. I have about 80 head and I am always open to hear how others do things. I want to make sure I do right by my cattle and the consumer when they go to the sale. Thanks for having me.

Hello,
I'm new to this forum and forums in general.
My family and I are from north Florida. It's old dairy farms where I am at and they have all sold out to development. There are only a few small ranches around us left. I was not raised around cattle or much livestock at all.
We wanted to get a meat cow so my neighbor gave me a calf around 4 years ago.
She didn't have her sucking instinct and her mom rejected her. Had to tube feed her for a few months until she would start eating hay and grain. Tough start for my first cow but I was hooked. 1 cow turned into 2. 2 turned into 10 and so on. I have about 80 head and I am always open to hear how others do things. I want to make sure I do right by my cattle and the consumer when they go to the sale. Thanks for having me.
Welcome...

You're going to hear this sooner or later, so it might as well be from me. Go to your profile and put "North Florida" on it for your location. Any conversation here will want to know where you are because anything we talk about is going to be dependent on location.

Welcome from the Shen Valley, part of Va. Yeah, it's called "cow math".... somehow they just seem to multiply !;)
Ain't that the truth!
Welcome. I am in North Florida - Branford/ Live Oak area.
I have cousins in Lake city. I'm in the dinsmore area right outside Jacksonville. It's the last little slice of country left in Duval county. Unfortunately.

Wow, what a start you had. If you learned to tube feed a calf right from the beginning, you are ahead of the game. It's good to hear that you stuck it out as it shows you have a heart for cattle. 80 head is nothing to laugh at, that's for sure. We may need to come to you when we have a trouble calf and get some tips. I hope you enjoy it like the rest of us do........

I'd be happy to share any info I have learned. I've had easy keepers and some ones the past few years that's for sure. No two are the same that's for sure.

Latest posts