Building a Longhorn Herd

Help Support CattleToday:

It's possible as I lease the bulls from the same guy every year but he ai's so they should not be related.
I meant red factor as in the bull may have an animal or more back in his pedigree that are lacking in the diluter gene.
I'm not sure if that would have an effect on color pattern or not.

I meant red factor as in the bull may have an animal or more back in his pedigree that are lacking in the diluter gene.
I'm not sure if that would have an effect on color pattern or not.
Yes I I stood that. I should have said BUT I use a different bull every year and both solid red cows throw colored calves every year. My bad

Yes I I stood that. I should have said BUT I use a different bull every year and both solid red cows throw colored calves every year. My bad
I used to be a registered Charolais breeder, and it used to be a once in a great while occurrence to have a reddish calf born. I didn't understand about the genes and diluter genes to know what it was called back then, but eventually found out about the red factor.
It was my experience from seeing a lot of calves from commercial cows and white Charolais bulls, that they could have some spotting and color patterns that mimic other breeds. I've seen some calves that were marked like longhorn cross calves from cows that cows that you wouldn't expect to see that from. Usually they were a diluted mouse or tan color with the white spotting. I have seen some fairly dark red calves occasionally too though.

Thank you. I find it interesting that everyone is concerned about what LH bring at the sale barn. From everything I have seen, the money is not in the beef price on them. It's the "collector" value you might say. A 600-700# LH bull is bringing approx $2000. I can't get close to that for our angus calves. We have four of the yard art just for the pleasure of looking at them. I'm probably crazy (been questioned for some time) but I had mine cut. No breeding here. People I know are in it for showing and heritage. Probably don't get that attitude outside of Texas but here, anything that can survive the heat, lack of grass, eating prickly pear, rattlers, calving and coyotes we admire.

I don't 🤣

First time one of them lazy ol turkeys lever the fence outta the ground with their horns and drag half a mile out into the county road and dig a hole deep enough to bury a vw in, u won't want one either!
Does any one else see the irony in this? 😄 I seriously thought you lived ALL cattle equally.

I don't 🤣

First time one of them lazy ol turkeys lever the fence outta the ground with their horns and drag half a mile out into the county road and dig a hole deep enough to bury a vw in, u won't want one either!
My 3 are the easiest of all the cattle. Literally never had any kind of problem with them and people just gravitate to them and their friendly behavior

Does any one else see the irony in this? 😄 I seriously thought you lived ALL cattle equally.
Wasn't my animal!
But after seeing that... NO thank you!

He sold them all. After they started doing the same with his nice split rail fencing. He'd had enough.

I DO like seeing them tho. In OTHER PEOPLES PASTURE

I don't 🤣

My dad bought a longhorn bull and put him in a small trap I had maybe 1/4 acre, he tore that fence up, he knew how to them horns

Some or the wildest "cowboy" stories I've heard are from catching LH that went rogue. They say they can cover some serious ground if they have to. They are hard to get ropes on and move and stuff with those big horns. They will use them like anchors if they have to. LoL Supposedly they are very intelligent also.

Latest posts