Building a Longhorn Herd

Help Support CattleToday:

Some or the wildest "cowboy" stories I've heard are from catching LH that went rogue. They say they can cover some serious ground if they have to. They are hard to get ropes on and move and stuff with those big horns. They will use them like anchors if they have to. LoL Supposedly they are very intelligent also.
The cowboys back in the day to be some tough sob's. The horns may not have been as wide back then but the cattle were wild... as in the opposite of docile. I have no illusions about being able to keep up with them on their worst day and my best.

Some or the wildest "cowboy" stories I've heard are from catching LH that went rogue. They say they can cover some serious ground if they have to. They are hard to get ropes on and move and stuff with those big horns. They will use them like anchors if they have to. LoL Supposedly they are very intelligent also.
Dad talks about a old cowboy that he rode with that said when they were loading the LH on the railcars they would take an ax and chop off the horns.

Most of them, even most of them today, didn't have the freakish 10' spreads like you see. Most looked about like those 2 posted by @Ranch Hand above. Yeah, you had to throw a bg loop, but those ;like that can be roped all day by someone who has experience. But, Longhorns are probably the quickest and fastest of the cattle. Booger Barter used to put a couple of "prize steers" in the draws at his ropings. If you drew one and could head it, it would pay $10k. These were young Longhorn steers, not Corriente, and they were rockets! Very few ever even got close enough to throw a loop. I only saw two caught, and the header rode an OTT appendix horse with a 108+ SI in the 1l4 mile. Not only are Longhorns the fastest take off and fastest top speed, but they can run a longer distance before playing out than other cattle. But in the last 40 years, I have never seen any LHs that wild. Most, at least around here, are as docile as dairy cows.

I read through this whole discussion. I'm glad some people like longhorns and some people make a lot of money. Some yard ornament breeders on here are sure good salesmen. I see there are some guys in Texas who set up by the highway with a saddled steer and take photos of tin horns and tourists.

To me there is something ignoble and embarrasing about saddling up and riding a bovine. Can they work cattle under saddle? Cattle are useful as oxen although outdated. Can they be harnessed in pairs of oxen like these or would they stab each other?
IMG_6513.JPG

My great grandfather drove Longhorns on the Goodnight Loving trail. Yes longhorns are a part of history but personally I would not have one. There is something kind of freaky looking about those ridiculously long horns. What you are standing next to it and one sweeps it's head around to get a fly? They are very quick with those swords. They can really hurt each other with those horns. That's why we disbud our Jerseys.

If I raised cattle for their beauty I would raise the white Charlais. I love the look of milk white cattle grazing on a green hillside. Or standing in the moonlight with fire flies all around. Not only that you can sell them for meat. The cows are good milkers and the bulls are good for crossbreeding. And they have normal looking horns. although some are polled.

I read through this whole discussion. I'm glad some people like longhorns and some people make a lot of money. Some yard ornament breeders on here are sure good salesmen. I see there are some guys in Texas who set up by the highway with a saddled steer and take photos of tin horns and tourists.

To me there is something ignoble and embarrasing about saddling up and riding a bovine. Can they work cattle under saddle? Cattle are useful as oxen although outdated. Can they be harnessed in pairs of oxen like these or would they stab each other?
View attachment 33417

My great grandfather drove Longhorns on the Goodnight Loving trail. Yes longhorns are a part of history but personally I would not have one. There is something kind of freaky looking about those ridiculously long horns. What you are standing next to it and one sweeps it's head around to get a fly? They are very quick with those swords. They can really hurt each other with those horns. That's why we disbud our Jerseys.

If I raised cattle for their beauty I would raise the white Charlais. I love the look of milk white cattle grazing on a green hillside. Or standing in the moonlight with fire flies all around. Not only that you can sell them for meat. The cows are good milkers and the bulls are good for crossbreeding. And they have normal looking horns. although some are polled.
Agree and to each his own! I started with longhorn because the place we had would starve a char or angus and they thrived. As the place improved so did my cattle from crossing with brangus and now char. So far down the line now you can't tell the difference. We kept 3 pureblood because we like them. Running 30 momma's obviously we do it for our sanity from the office so we enjoy the farm. The longhorns are the easiest to care for (none) and folks love to come out and feed them. Never had a horn touch anyone and they know absolutely where that tip is! And they can scratch every inch of their body and that's fun to watch.

Most of them, even most of them today, didn't have the freakish 10' spreads like you see. Most looked about like those 2 posted by @Ranch Hand above. Yeah, you had to throw a bg loop, but those ;like that can be roped all day by someone who has experience. But, Longhorns are probably the quickest and fastest of the cattle. Booger Barter used to put a couple of "prize steers" in the draws at his ropings. If you drew one and could head it, it would pay $10k. These were young Longhorn steers, not Corriente, and they were rockets! Very few ever even got close enough to throw a loop. I only saw two caught, and the header rode an OTT appendix horse with a 108+ SI in the 1l4 mile. Not only are Longhorns the fastest take off and fastest top speed, but they can run a longer distance before playing out than other cattle. But in the last 40 years, I have never seen any LHs that wild. Most, at least around here, are as docile as dairy cows.

Didn't I give you the LH lesson in the cracker cattle thread? 🤔 😄

Awhile back I made a comment about LH x Cor roping steers and was chastised to no end. They acted like it was impossible or some thing. 😆

"folks love to come out and feed them. Never had a horn touch anyone and they know absolutely where that tip is! "

Thats not what my husband saw at the auction yard. Oh, we don't want to hurt the people! Their focus is on the fly.

View attachment 33417

To each his own. I don't have a longhorn, but I think I'd rather have one over a Charlois. But I'm from Texas, so maybe that has some influence on my choice.

I have one, she is my "lawn ornament" and raises a real nice calf every year. She is quiet... and yes, she knows exactly where the tips of her horns are at all times. See her turn her head to get into a feed trough with the bars on the sides... tips her head to come through a tight spot. I feed her a little grain separate so that the other cattle can get in the feed trough and not get poked by accident... and she will eat off the ground right next to the car or truck, and never touch the paint on it. My son said I needed to be careful she would scratch the car ( my forester I use to go check cattle at a couple of pastures) ... and I said she will NOT scratch the paint...She is not much for being petted because the cow she was raised on was a bought one and not friendly... but she will stand back from the hot wire and not touch it.... and was not raised with it but knew right from the get go that it was not to be messed with.

I like her and the best thing... NO DOGS will go in there and bother the calves.... so I know that is why there are no coyotes in there anymore either.... she will babysit the newest calves with hers.
Jess (for Majestic) has a place here for as long as she breeds and then will be hamburger and I will keep her head/horns.... just because....

I've got one. Her name is Rose. Given to me by my sons for a birthday present a few years back. She runs with a brangus herd and is bred by a brangus or angus bull every year. It's been said on here that they know where their horns are at all times. I can attest to that as well. I've watched her gently sweep a calf out of harms way with her horns. Swept me out of the way once as well - also gently - so she could get in and get her share of cubes. No problems going through an alley or chute. Just tilts her head to the side. She's not got a champion set of horns but I've grown to like her.

Her first calf was solid red and brought the best price at the barn in that group of calves at the time. Red Brangus bull. The rest of the calves have looked similar to this one, bred to Brangus (black) or black Angus bulls. They don't get much at the sale barn. Butchered one once. Didn't care for the steaks - too lean for my taste. The calf in this picture is one day old.

20210101_135644_001_resized.jpg

Last edited:

View attachment 33417

View attachment 33417

Not Longhorns but similar, Afrikaner cattle spanned into a trek waggon - https://i.pinimg.com/originals/24/32/93/243293ffcaf25f48403a7f5447c7bdec.jpg

I don't have any and won't have any. I raise cattle to make money. And here long horns are give away cattle. People who have a few head of backyard hobby cattle are rare as hens teeth here.
Very understandable, it's why I noted our place is not our living it's my sanity haven outside the offices. I know ranchers around here who have working dogs and they have a mutt at home that sits by them to be petted. Our longhorns are pets and pasture ornaments, your cattle are your living and I surely respect that. I come on here to learn from you guys and other small operators how to make the other 30 be profitable

I've got one. Her name is Rose. Given to me by my sons for a birthday present a few years back. She runs with a brangus herd and is bred by a brangus or angus bull every year. It's been said on here that they know where their horns are at all times. I can attest to that as well. I've watched her gently sweep a calf out of harms way with her horns. Swept me out of the way once as well - also gently - so she could get in and get her share of cubes. No problems going through an alley or chute. Just tilts her head to the side. She's not got a champion set of horns but I've grown to like her.

Her first calf was solid red and brought the best price at the barn in that group of calves at the time. Red Brangus bull. The rest of the calves have looked similar to this one, bred to Brangus (black) or black Angus bulls. They don't get much at the sale barn. Butchered one once. Didn't care for the steaks - too lean for my taste. The calf in this picture is one day old.

View attachment 33441
That's a fine looking gal there!

Not Longhorns but similar, Afrikaner cattle spanned into a trek waggon - https://i.pinimg.com/originals/24/32/93/243293ffcaf25f48403a7f5447c7bdec.jpg
I guess thats what makes the world go around. To each his own. I just pointed out that Longhorns are an important point in Texas history and why I like them to the point mine are all steers. I run angus along with them. Funny what's important to a Texan the rest of the world could care less. I can live with that. Remember the Alamo!

Didn't I give you the LH lesson in the cracker cattle thread? 🤔 😄

Awhile back I made a comment about LH x Cor roping steers and was chastised to no end. They acted like it was impossible or some thing. 😆
It is more common that you would think to see LH and LH x Corr used for team roping and steer wrestling. In this pic taken from a Corriente for Sale site, these are roped out " Corriente" heifers for sale. The black one on the far left is a LH that has had its horns docked. LH horns are usually way too wide to use for roping or dogging. Chances are, though, that if she were bred to a Corr bull, the calf 's horns, when grown , would not have to be docked like that. Chances are also that it will take a hell of a head horse or dogging horse to catch it!! 1691409821043.png

Last edited:
It is more common that you would think to see LH and LH x Corr used for team roping and steer wrestling. In this pic taken from a Corriente for Sale site, these are roped out " Corriente" heifers for sale. The black one on the far left is a LH that has had its horns docked. LH horns are usually way too wide to use for roping or dogging. Chances are, though, that if she were bred to a Corr bull, the calf 's horns, when grown , would not have to be docked like that. Chances are also that it will take a hell of a head horse or dogging horse to catch it!! View attachment 33550
What are they asking for those heifers?

Latest posts