Building a Longhorn Herd

Help Support CattleToday:

SEEMYWILLYS49

Reaction score
Hola! Thanks for the opportunity to join this informative group. Wifey & I moving from 3 acres to 16 acres place West of the DFW Metroplex. We've owned three Longhorns for several years and added a fourth , bull calf, this past year. Hoping he will breed the two females in our herd. We love having longhorns they are amazing animals. Ours are very tame & will eat from our hands. Hoping to learn more & more from this group to be better. Kia Kaha!

Hola! Thanks for the opportunity to join this informative group. Wifey & I moving from 3 acres to 16 acres place West of the DFW Metroplex. We've owned three Longhorns for several years and added a fourth , bull calf, this past year. Hoping he will breed the two females in our herd. We love having longhorns they are amazing animals. Ours are very tame & will eat from our hands. Hoping to learn more & more from this group to be better. Kia Kaha!
DFW? Dallas Forth Worth? You might consider putting your location on your profile so people know where you are. A lot of comments will be location dependent.

Longhorns don't get a lot of respect here, but I hope you don't take it personally. I think a lot of less popular cattle have a lot to offer and the people that pass up an opportunity to learn miss out. Longhorns are a niche that has their own market, that's for sure. The best thing about Longhorns, from my understanding, is that they have a very long and productive lifespan. I've heard of some that have lived over twenty years and produced a calf every year since their first calf.

Welcome to the stampede. I hope you'll stick around and contribute.

DFW? Dallas Forth Worth? You might consider putting your location on your profile so people know where you are. A lot of comments will be location dependent.

Longhorns don't get a lot of respect here, but I hope you don't take it personally. I think a lot of less popular cattle have a lot to offer and the people that pass up an opportunity to learn miss out. Longhorns are a niche that has their own market, that's for sure. The best thing about Longhorns, from my understanding, is that they have a very long and productive lifespan. I've heard of some that have lived over twenty years and produced a calf every year since their first calf.

Welcome to the stampede. I hope you'll stick around and contribute.
Thanks for the input.

Welcome.
Longhorns are easy to calve, can survive where a lot of cattle can't, have good bags, last forever, have a good temperament and have lean meat, the problem is they don't bring much money unless your in the click.
My daughter in law has one that will eat out of your hand, she said she's going to let her die on the place so she can get the skull, that might be a while because they live and produce a lot of years.

Welcome.
Longhorns are easy to calve, can survive where a lot of cattle can't, have good bags, last forever, have a good temperament and have lean meat, the problem is they don't bring much money unless your in the click.
My daughter in law has one that will eat out of your hand, she said she's going to let her die on the place so she can get the skull, that might be a while because they live and produce a lot of years.
Not much money in hide and horns and the chrome is impossible to knock off.
In today's see through margins makes them even harder to make them pay for themselves.
That said they can survive on barb wire and briars.

Not much money in hide and horns and the chrome is impossible to knock off.
In today's see through margins makes them even harder to make them pay for themselves.
That said they can survive on barb wire and briars.
It's hit or miss.

Not mine, they're for sale up the road.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230709-130248~2.png
    Screenshot_20230709-130248~2.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 20
The are slower to mature sexually cows and bulls. I don't recall a bull much younger than 2 doing much breeding. If you gonna raise a bull calf til its old enough to breed, then you looking at a couple years to go before you have a calf hit the ground. And you'd have your hands full keeping a bull with only 2 cows. Might look into AI-ing them., borrowing a bull, or taking them to visit a neighbor's bull.

Last edited:
What do yall use your Longhorns for? Entertainment, beef, lawn mowers?

We had some that came with a place my boss bought. I like watching them from afar but it's hard to get use to those big horns swinging so close to me. 😄

This is one of my favorite pics of them.

20220619_132657.jpg

Latest posts