Building a Longhorn Herd

Help Support CattleToday:

What do yall use your Longhorns for? Entertainment, beef, lawn mowers?

We had some that came with a place my boss bought. I like watching them from afar but it's hard to get use to those big horns swinging so close to me. 😄

This is one of my favorite pics of them.

View attachment 32386
Those are some horns. Nice looking cattle too.

DFW? Dallas Forth Worth? You might consider putting your location on your profile so people know where you are. A lot of comments will be location dependent.

Longhorns don't get a lot of respect here, but I hope you don't take it personally. I think a lot of less popular cattle have a lot to offer and the people that pass up an opportunity to learn miss out. Longhorns are a niche that has their own market, that's for sure. The best thing about Longhorns, from my understanding, is that they have a very long and productive lifespan. I've heard of some that have lived over twenty years and produced a calf every year since their first calf.

Welcome to the stampede. I hope you'll stick around and contribute.
We started with 8 longhorns and 95 acres of very bad grass and weeds. Slowly added to herd with char bull and still have 3 of the pureblood as pasture eye candy. Works well as we keep the 1/2's to grind into the best, leanest burger meat you can imagine. Keeps 4 family in meet and the cows live on half of what the rest do

We started with 8 longhorns and 95 acres of very bad grass and weeds. Slowly added to herd with char bull and still have 3 of the pureblood as pasture eye candy. Works well as we keep the 1/2's to grind into the best, leanest burger meat you can imagine. Keeps 4 family in meet and the cows live on half of what the rest do
That's what I'm wanting is leaner meat, we brown and simmer more than anything.
The last one was a charbray, good but too much fat for me.
In my younger years I loved it.

I always wanted 1 for looking at, but I think trying to work them would be a PITA. Are they prone to tearing up fencing and dragging horns down the side of a truck or are they easy going?

I always wanted 1 for looking at, but I think trying to work them would be a PITA. Are they prone to tearing up fencing and dragging horns down the side of a truck or are they easy going?
You can get a wild one of anything, but they're typically pretty easy going. They are aware of where their headgear is.

Feral ones can be holy terrors. But the ones you see now on people's places, are as docile as any Herford. Not all of them have the magnificent spread like the white cow in the pic @Brute 23 posted. There are lines that are noted for tie huge horns, and show and ornamental LHs are bred to have those horns. But a vast majority of them, the "using" LHs, have horns more like the red one, third from the front, standing to the white cow's rear. You'd be surprised at how they can maneuver those horns through working pens, chutes, head gates etc.

Feral ones can be holy terrors. But the ones you see now on people's places, are as docile as any Herford. Not all of them have the magnificent spread like the white cow in the pic @Brute 23 posted. There are lines that are noted for tie huge horns, and show and ornamental LHs are bred to have those horns. But a vast majority of them, the "using" LHs, have horns more like the red one, third from the front, standing to the white cow's rear. You'd be surprised at how they can maneuver those horns through working pens, chutes, head gates etc.
Have you ever read Wild Cow Tales? It's a wonderful book by Benjamin Greene about his days as a cow-catcher and as a buyer taking orders on range delivery.

That's what I'm wanting is leaner meat, we brown and simmer more than anything.
The last one was a charbray, good but too much fat for me.
In my younger years I loved it.
Back in the 80's, beefalo became all the rage around here for a while. Bison meat is lower in cholestrol and leaner than beef, and LH is the leanest of all beef. So several used LH as the cattle for breeding beefalo. Made for some scary looking animals, with dispositions more like a bison than a LH.

IMG_1787.jpeg
Our longhorn are pet gentle. Grandkids feed them all the time. They get no care at all and are always in great shape. We ai'd 2 last year, just pushed them between 2 panels and no issues. Gave us a chance to measure the spread also they always know where that horn tip is and I've never been hit. Now the crossed calves are another story for some unknown reason. You can't keep them in offense, they walk the cattle guards, and when you feed them out if they are separate, they get flat mean. But the meat is perfect for burgers. You can throw a patty on and it comes off, almost the same size with little grease

Attachments

• IMG_3385.jpeg
    IMG_3385.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 6
Kudos to you!!! We have found that Texas Longhorns are the very best and most valuable breed to raise in this modern world. I wish I had discovered them sooner and have been breeding registered Texas Longhorns since 2002. Visit us at www.premierlonghorns.com and be prepared to be amazed. These are not your grandfather's Texas Longhorns and they are not what's for dinner. They are living western art, intelligent, athletic and can do anything a horse can do! A delicious Angus steak will satisfy you for a few hours but the joy of owning and having a personal relationship with a magnificent Texas Longhorn can last a lifetime.

Kudos to you!!! We have found that Texas Longhorns are the very best and most valuable breed to raise in this modern world. I wish I had discovered them sooner and have been breeding registered Texas Longhorns since 2002. Visit us at www.premierlonghorns.com and be prepared to be amazed. These are not your grandfather's Texas Longhorns and they are not what's for dinner. They are living western art, intelligent, athletic and can do anything a horse can do! A delicious Angus steak will satisfy you for a few hours but the joy of owning and having a personal relationship with a magnificent Texas Longhorn can last a lifetime.

But what if somebody wants to eat them?

Back in the 80's, beefalo became all the rage around here for a while. Bison meat is lower in cholestrol and leaner than beef, and LH is the leanest of all beef. So several used LH as the cattle for breeding beefalo. Made for some scary looking animals, with dispositions more like a bison than a LH.
I would like to see one of them.
And eat one too.

Like this? aa874092a309dac424cc56fbc32a58c3.jpg

Latest posts