Cow/Calf Wannabe Retired in Alabama

Help Support CattleToday:

Ductapetams

Reaction score
Hi y'all! Thanks for the add. I'm in Montgomery County, AL on 10 acres and share some pasture with a neighbor. My goal in being here is to learn more about animal husbandry with cattle in an attempt to have a supplemental income in a soon-to-be-retirement. Obviously, a small scale operation beginning with bottle calves and trying to do this solo. (Less cost, LOL)

Hi y'all! Thanks for the add. I'm in Montgomery County, AL on 10 acres and share some pasture with a neighbor. My goal in being here is to learn more about animal husbandry with cattle in an attempt to have a supplemental income in a soon-to-be-retirement. Obviously, a small scale operation beginning with bottle calves and trying to do this solo. (Less cost, LOL)
Welcome to the forums! This is an excellent one-stop resource for just about any questions you would have. Bottle calves are a lot of work. Easiest way to ease into the business, is to buy some weaned calves this spring when you get grass, and let them grow til about this time next year, then sell them. You won't have to worry about hay and feed over the winter this way.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum. One thing I will tell you... I raised bottle calves for years and they could be a good way to get into it without alot of input. HOWEVER... today bottle calves are costing $200-500 each here. Good quality milk replacer is running $100 a 50 lb bag and you will need 2 bags to get the calf to weaning (6-10 weeks)... add to that is good calf quality grain that is costing $10-20 a 50 lb bag... and calves need more grain/protein than hay/grass as their rumens are developing. You will have a minimum of $400 in the calf at 8-10 weeks.
You would be further ahead to buy a couple of weaned calves so that the bottle feeding is bypassed and the pitfalls for someone who is not experienced with it.... and don't raise one alone, they do much better with a buddy... herd animal..... and then at least you can go with the grain and hay feeding.
The cost of weaned calves is $1.50-3.00 a lb right now... different areas different prices.... this is a very tough time to get started in them....
I am not trying to be negative, but if you can pay your costs you will be lucky. We have been in the cattle industry for over 50 years, many members on here been doing it for family generations... we have other jobs and they have helped us to do what we like but it is not something we are making alot of money from. It is a good side "job" and a way to enjoy the farm and way of life.
10 acres will not support very many head and you will have to do as much rotational grazing as possible to best utilize the grass.

Hoping some from the "deeper south" areas can chime in to help you...

Welcome from Jackson County neighbor . Please add your location to your profile. Good luck on bottle calves . Milk replacer has got so expensive it may be difficult to make a profit Bottle calves can be fun especially if you can involve kids or grandkids in the raising.

You will not supplement your income on bottle calves!
Now if you're wanting to spend some of that retirement money on a hobby to raise welfare beef, go for it.
Input cost have risen to the point it's going to almost be impossible to sustain a small operation.

How many of your 10 acres are pasture? And how many acres do you share with a neighbor? You are both gonna runs cattle on the shared pasture? How many head does the neighbor run on it already?

Welcome to the forum. One thing I will tell you... I raised bottle calves for years and they could be a good way to get into it without alot of input. HOWEVER... today bottle calves are costing $200-500 each here. Good quality milk replacer is running $100 a 50 lb bag and you will need 2 bags to get the calf to weaning (6-10 weeks)... add to that is good calf quality grain that is costing $10-20 a 50 lb bag... and calves need more grain/protein than hay/grass as their rumens are developing. You will have a minimum of $400 in the calf at 8-10 weeks.
You would be further ahead to buy a couple of weaned calves so that the bottle feeding is bypassed and the pitfalls for someone who is not experienced with it.... and don't raise one alone, they do much better with a buddy... herd animal..... and then at least you can go with the grain and hay feeding.
The cost of weaned calves is $1.50-3.00 a lb right now... different areas different prices.... this is a very tough time to get started in them....
I am not trying to be negative, but if you can pay your costs you will be lucky. We have been in the cattle industry for over 50 years, many members on here been doing it for family generations... we have other jobs and they have helped us to do what we like but it is not something we are making alot of money from. It is a good side "job" and a way to enjoy the farm and way of life.
10 acres will not support very many head and you will have to do as much rotational grazing as possible to best utilize the grass.

Hoping some from the "deeper south" areas can chime in to help you...
I am in Montgomery and get a small discount because I work part-time at the feed store. I spend just over $50 per bag of non-soy milk replacer and bottle feed for 3 months. One very sad mistake has me at weaning no sooner than 3 full months. Sometime before Thanksgiving or after the new year I was expecting to send a 1 year old steer and a non-producing heifer to auction. Steer is about 600-700 pounds now and the heifer is 900 with prices running about 2.15-2.25 per pound. I buy weaned, and look hard for bottle calves, because for under $200 in milk replacer and basic vacs, I get an enormous return a year later. If I pay for bottle calves (sometimes they're free,) its from 150-225. Still the return is good. I'm still gathering heifers of course and when the grass is growing, there are no feed costs except for certain animals that need a boost.

I forgot to mention that between my neighbor (13 acres) and myself (1o acres), we have developed fence lines and gates alleys that allow for pushing cows to fresh grass. I'm hoping that for the effort I can generate a retirement additional income of 6-10,000/year in year old steers and non-producing cows. It takes time to ramp up to a good cycle. I'm working on my infrastructure and have not yet built my house.

I am in Montgomery and get a small discount because I work part-time at the feed store. I spend just over $50 per bag of non-soy milk replacer and bottle feed for 3 months. One very sad mistake has me at weaning no sooner than 3 full months. Sometime before Thanksgiving or after the new year I was expecting to send a 1 year old steer and a non-producing heifer to auction. Steer is about 600-700 pounds now and the heifer is 900 with prices running about 2.15-2.25 per pound. I buy weaned, and look hard for bottle calves, because for under $200 in milk replacer and basic vacs, I get an enormous return a year later. If I pay for bottle calves (sometimes they're free,) its from 150-225. Still the return is good. I'm still gathering heifers of course and when the grass is growing, there are no feed costs except for certain animals that need a boost.
Sounds like you have a plan !

How many of your 10 acres are pasture? And how many acres do you share with a neighbor? You are both gonna runs cattle on the shared pasture? How many head does the neighbor run on it already?
Together we have about 20 acres. Most are cross-fenced for rotational grazing cows. I think we have about10 head total. We also have some horses kept separately that are freeloaders. One of my mares is going to training for cow work after the new year. She could become an income-earner too. We'll see.

@Ductapetams sounds like you have a plan for growing your animal numbers. Glad that you can realize some savings by working at the feed store. I did the same many years ago, got a discount on the feed etc. 3 months is a good time to wean off milk replacer, and glad you know that the all milk type is the best way to go; but we cannot buy it that cheap up here. I now raise any extra calves on a nurse cow or 2, and she gets grain so it is not "free" milk for them either.

Your first post gave me the impression you were new at this but you seem to have some time/experience at it. New people think it is easy to raise an animal and make money at it. If you add all the costs, it is not some "easy money" thing that all the farmers are making a killing with prices being up now. Sure, we make some money on the good years, but we also "pay for it" on the years of low prices.
Best of luck.

@Ductapetams sounds like you have a plan for growing your animal numbers. Glad that you can realize some savings by working at the feed store. I did the same many years ago, got a discount on the feed etc. 3 months is a good time to wean off milk replacer, and glad you know that the all milk type is the best way to go; but we cannot buy it that cheap up here. I now raise any extra calves on a nurse cow or 2, and she gets grain so it is not "free" milk for them either.

Your first post gave me the impression you were new at this but you seem to have some time/experience at it. New people think it is easy to raise an animal and make money at it. If you add all the costs, it is not some "easy money" thing that all the farmers are making a killing with prices being up now. Sure, we make some money on the good years, but we also "pay for it" on the years of low prices.
Best of luck.
Farmerjan I'm a statistics analyst for my day job, LOL! I know very little about the cattle industry but have learned a couple of things about animal husbandry over the years. Mostly, I am a nerd at heart and confident in applying something in one area to another with considerable research into the matter. I do have a LOT to learn. No way I am moving back to town!

I forgot to mention that between my neighbor (13 acres) and myself (1o acres), we have developed fence lines and gates alleys that allow for pushing cows to fresh grass. I'm hoping that for the effort I can generate a retirement additional income of 6-10,000/year in year old steers and non-producing cows. It takes time to ramp up to a good cycle. I'm working on my infrastructure and have not yet built my house.
Why did they close Montgomery Serum Co. because of the stockyard?

Together we have about 20 acres. Most are cross-fenced for rotational grazing cows. I think we have about10 head total. We also have some horses kept separately that are freeloaders. One of my mares is going to training for cow work after the new year. She could become an income-earner too. We'll see.
Tell me about your mare. How is she bred? And I sure do wish you would put your location on your profile

Why did they close Montgomery Serum Co. because of the stockyard?
I doubt that. Still have midstate stockyard right down the road. Lived in this area all my life and been to Capital tractor many times and didn't even know that place was there right across the road from it. I would say from the lack of advertising and not visible from the main road is probably what did them in.

Please put your location (at least state) on your profile. We need a frame of reference to know what you are going through and location is important in knowing what you are working with.

@Ductapetams go to your name top right, click down to account details, then to location and put in your general location. Most of us cannot remember what you put in your first post when we are trying to help discuss things... different areas = different answers and comments on things like grasses etc...

Latest posts