Retired from the ranch

Help Support CattleToday:

Travlr

Reaction score
Hey... I've owned cattle off and on since I was in junior high. Coast Guard after high school. Went to Utah State where I majored in An SCi with a specialty in beef production. I worked with the Belgian government as a consultant for a short time in importing genetic materials. I had a small ranch in northwest Arkansas where I became something of a cattle dealer by assisting vets in the sale barns, buying cattle to bring home to acclimate in my corral, and then neighbors started showing up to see what I had and would often buy everything before I turned anything out. The ranch in South Dakota 25 miles north of Sturgis was an entirely different kind of operation. I raised grade replacement heifers, mostly, but was doing some experimenting with rebuilding pastures without reseeding. I only owned that ranch for a short time because I put a high price on it expecting to have it listed for years but it sold too quickly. Married hapily for decades, a couple of kids with kids, and I like projects. I've built show cars with my own hands, relatively simple camping trailers, and several buildings. Lots of off-the-ranch jobs and a lot of experiences in nature. I'm environmentally inclined and conservative... but in active avoidance of politics.

Last edited:
Hey... I've owned cattle off and on since I was in junior high. Coast Guard after high school. Went to Utah State where I majored in An SCi with a specialty in beef production. I worked with the Belgian government as a consultant for a short time in importing genetic materials. I had a small ranch in northwest Arkansas where I became something of a cattle dealer by assisting vets in the sale barns, buying cattle to bring home to acclimate in my corral, and then neighbors started showing up to see what I had and would often buy everything before I turned anything out. The ranch in South Dakota 25 miles north of Sturgis was an entirely different kind of operation. I raised grade replacement heifers, mostly, but was doing some experimenting with rebuilding pastures without reseeding. I only owned that ranch for a short time because I put a high price on it expecting to have it listed for years but it sold too quickly. Married hapily for decades, a couple of kids with kids, and I like projects. I've built show cars with my own hands, relatively simple camping trailers, and several buildings. Lots of off-the-ranch jobs and a lot of experiences in nature. I'm environmentally inclined and conservative... but in active avoidance of politics.
Go Goast Guard! Glad to have another Coastie on the board! We'll have to chat via pm soon. Not too many Coasties in Ranching that I've met.

Will NEVER forget my CC. short black guy. We call him Sir to his have, Rooster to his back. Special breed to be C.C..

I was living in Chattanooga. Went from 70 degrees to, f* this is cold in 1 day. We had sooo many seagulls when we got there Jan. 3rd. Fried chicken every other day. Fewer seagulls by March. Coincidence?
We formed September 2nd, graduated Oct 24th-that was the best season of the year to be a recruit. When I was running companies-I enjoyed the blizzards the most 😂

My last Company had a blizzard week two and the whole base lost power. Had every recruit crammed into medical nightly for 3 nights as they had emergency generators. If you remember the building it wasn't huge by any means-so it was an adventure. The gallery served cold cuts every meal-it was crazy.

Tried to go back as the battalion commander as a Master Chief but didn't get the job, which is when I decided to retire. In hindsight, I like ranching more than living in Basic Training 24/7. It was a great experience, but certainly a stressful environment.

Welcome to CT! Glad to have you aboard. ;)

Welcome!

Latest posts