no calfs this yr

Help Support CattleToday:

atlest he didnt stick the electrode up his butt and turn it on.ive seen bulls throw a fitt with that.and beller their heads off.

bigbull338":39ghnc51 said:
DB why dont you reg the heifers you deem worthy to keep.to me your leaving money on the table.you could sell your excess heifers for good money.i sold 3 show calf prospects to 1 family.that only left me with 2 replacement heifers.but id sell them if some1 wanted them.at 6yrs old it was time to replace your bull anyway.you can replace him for $4500 or less.

i probably am..but i really cant do all the requirements to have them reg. i simply cabt manage the req wieghts.dates. and some of the recordkeeping. i work 6 10 hr days so i struggle getting things done now. werking vacations and spraying mowing in the dark are reg things for me. id like to have them reg..almost all 20 of them are purebreds..cpl comm cows in there..but the only reg animal i have is the bull..and that wont matter soon enough either.
i might be able to do better than 45 but thats about what i figured a repl bull was gonna cost me.

the vet did him manually..never seen that before..always used the probe...

first time that bull ever made it to the headchute..usually i just get him in between the gates

i reg all of my heifers.and i dont do the weights and measures or whole herd reporting.its not mandated that you do those things tobe a member of BBU.all i do is keep up with when the calves was born.nor have i ever had the classifer out to score the cattle.

right..i havent really looked into it that much but if i can get away with not having to do all that then i might. i have all the history of my cattles background avail to me...just never used it

If he is so big and fat to get through the chute he could be lazy and not breeding like he should and if it gets hot he likely not doing his job like he should get rid of him and buy a new one.

thats the plan now that i know he is not working

IT AMAZES ME HOW EVERYONE IS SO READY TO CULL AN ANIMAL THAT COULD COST ME $4000 TO REPLACE...I MUST BE DOING IT WRONG

see the problem is he hasnt had any calfs..therefore he hasnt made any money...maybe oughtta just shoot him and save myself the troubles of hauling him ..that'd be alot easier.

thanks for the cinstructive input..all you high rollers that just cull cuz the cow crapped in the wrong place...yer welcome
gary

Your bull has cost you way more than $4,500. just by not doing his job this year. That's money you won't never see. A good bull is the cheapest part of raising good calves. Not everyone can have cattle as good as Bigbull's. Some folks have no cull calves and will save a bull calf just because it has balls. This is a very bad for practice no matter what the breed is.

hey man i get it..but just bailing the bull w/o knowing for sure the issue isnt the right thing to do.
most of ya gave me som good input i used to fix my problem...

some of the opnes that didnt read the thread and said to just get rid of the bull have got some poor management skills basing the lack of calfs on an unknown and using the bull for a scapegoat

there are other reasons cows dont calf

like i said. thanks to those who gave me some good input...

It is easy for other people to make decisions when it isn't their nickel. I'm sorry that he didn't pass the exam.
Whatever you do, he should bring pretty good money at the sale to help you buy another bull.

every little bit counts...im not trying to be a harda$$ but that post ticked me off....just cull him git another...its so easy....just go get another bull....like picking fruit...

momma1.jpg

momma1.jpg

momma2.jpg

thats a nice looking pair.yes DB bulls are higher than the devil.personally i try to replace my bull every 4yrs.so thats right at 5 calf crops out of him.now as for your cows keep them.it wasnt their falt that they didnt breed.the bull quit working.so get a new bull turn him out.then palphate the cows in 6 months and go from there.

dieselbeef":2oeaqqz4 said:
thats the plan now that i know he is not working

IT AMAZES ME HOW EVERYONE IS SO READY TO CULL AN ANIMAL THAT COULD COST ME $4000 TO REPLACE...I MUST BE DOING IT WRONG

see the problem is he hasnt had any calfs..therefore he hasnt made any money...maybe oughtta just shoot him and save myself the troubles of hauling him ..that'd be alot easier.

thanks for the cinstructive input..all you high rollers that just cull cuz the cow crapped in the wrong place...yer welcome
gary

I was the first one that probably mentioned sale it and get a new 1. I was not trying to be an butt head but every decision I make I go at it from a business standpoint. Everyone has their own way and what is right for me may not be right for anyone else. I do not like losing $$$ I also looked at it from the standpoint whats the common denominator which is the bull. So that is why I said that. You are already losing money by his non performance so to me it was a call to eliminate the issue being the bull in my eyes atleast thats how I think. When in business and trying to make some money you have to make those decisions and also be prepared to invest back into the business sometimes decisions are right sometimes they are wrong. I personally did not mean anything bad by making my comment I was just telling you what I would do. I don't have any attachment to my bulls and if they mess up truth is there will be no testing and they are seconds away from being loaded and hauled. This market is so HOT now that you can't stand to have any issues. I apologize if I offended you and that was not my personal intent. Nice looking calf btw :tiphat:

nah man it wasnt you..yer inputs good...no sweat...

jus supposing tho you went and got another bull...and then in 4 mos when you preg check em ya go nothin?? cuz you have got another issue you didnt know about....

i get what yer saying and maybe im just preconditioned to want proof..but it seems expensive to take a shot at it w/o knowing..
im not attatched in an emotional way..he just has all the properties i want in a bull

dieselbeef":217l604c said:
nah man it wasnt you..yer inputs good...no sweat...

jus supposing tho you went and got another bull...and then in 4 mos when you preg check em ya go nothin?? cuz you have got another issue you didnt know about....

i get what yer saying and maybe im just preconditioned to want proof..but it seems expensive to take a shot at it w/o knowing..
im not attatched in an emotional way..he just has all the properties i want in a bull

Oh ok I was hoping I didnt offend you. Yea I agree and I will admit I do not test my bulls yearly . 1 bull I have now came with test data and I have kept 2 off his offspring to raise and put on non related cows and heifers. I understand the properties aspect. I can make decisions quick and some right and some wrong. I havent been known to have the coolest head in those type of situations :D

DB that's a nice looking calf!

BTW, I too, would have tested the bull before tossing him. Process of elimination.

Good luck on your search for a new one. The sale of the old one will certainly go a long ways towards a new one.

Other common denominators besided the bull, temperature/climate, forage, minerals, maybe supplements. The bull is just the easiest to blame and to check.

Latest posts