no calfs this yr

Help Support CattleToday:

so kickin this one back up..sold the old bull in june..new bull in july. kept him too long for reasons I dont wana get into..but anyways

5 calfs in 10 days..didnt have any for almost the whole yr...I find that odd..... 10 in the last 4 mos

my calfing season is really screwed now. so much for trying to get it tightened up

Time for drastic measures. I'd be tempted to sell everything and replace with bred cows or heifers, even if you drop #s you'll still be further ahead dollar wise. And get yourself into a consistent group the fastest.

Example sell the 20 animals and buy back 15 for the same money, due to calve in the spring. Keep some heifers next year. Its still way better than what you've been getting.

Supa Dexta":3v09940n said:
Time for drastic measures. I'd be tempted to sell everything and replace with bred cows or heifers, even if you drop #s you'll still be further ahead dollar wise. And get yourself into a consistent group the fastest.

Example sell the 20 animals and buy back 15 for the same money, due to calve in the spring. Keep some heifers next year. Its still way better than what you've been getting.
I tend to agree. About to do the same at one of our places that is more remote. The cows there are starting to get some age and have slipped the calving season into practically year round. I'm saving back enough heifers out of this year's spring group to replace most of the herd. Next spring it will be liquidation time for about 25 off this 30 cow herd. I'll leave 5 or 6 old biddies that are still calving on time to run the place

another one last night....

any reason why the bull missed for a yr...seemed to have gotten the job done in the few months prior to being sold. vet checked him...he didn't score very well.

one of those things ill never know the answer to I guess

im not complaining. calfs comin before the new bulls offspring 3-4 mos . in the fall too. works for me. now I should have a spring and a fall crop about 4-5 mos apart

yeah yeah ..I know cull em all and start over..blah blah :deadhorse: :dunce:

DB just keep what you have and look at culling the super late cows next year.reg cows are still high.

I'm glad you're getting some calves again.. better late than never I guess, meanwhile the spring market for them may be pretty hot. I know you had a lot of tough decisions, and a few more to make.. hopefully it works out.
I had a heifer that was really late the first time around (august instead of march).. I made a deal with her.. she's gotta catch up by a month a year and raise a good calf.. so far she's holding her end of the deal... I wasn't at capacity for a long time so a late calf was better than none for me as well, and now I have reached capacity, but had a lot of worse cows to get rid of.. the kind that could go tits-up at any point or raised dinks... so she's spared this round of culling.

oh im not..i gotta calf all yr due to circumstance..

but its odd that right before I sold him he bred like crazy. the last 4- mos I kept him figuring he wasn't working and had already failed the vet test. he should've been gone but I didn't ever sell him and now his calfs are comin on. I got 3 more to go from him yet..i can see they'll be here soon too.

odd odd odd

Got a neighbor that experienced something similar this past year. He kept saying bull was bad. I told him he was gonna be surprised. He sold the bull and a couple months later he had calves start dropping. His cows were in poor condition over previous winter but he was barn blind.

funny thing is tho when the vet was out he hecked a cpl but not all of the cows..not bred. checked the bull and low count and mobility. real low..i looked at em swimming in circles. I kept him longer than I should've and during the time I held him he did the work he slacked on for about 9-10 mos.... some over a yr last bred..

I really liked that bull too

Latest posts