no calfs this yr

Help Support CattleToday:

thanks..all yr nohin..all in 7 weeks time...cpl more comin still better late than never i guess but cant go back and recoup the time

theyre doin ok for born in sept..cept the light one..she a late aug calf....im happy to have any of em right now

boy....

yeah i know ya....i started to finish that post but it didnt post...i fergit now..but i had a zinger for ya..

the real nice one i didnt get a pic of..soon tho

Don't know if if applies to your situation, but I killed a bull's fertility, at least temporarily, last year by treating him with Cydectin. It was the first time I used Cydectin...always used Ivermectin before. And yes, I know they say that Cydectin won't do that - but I have proof, in my mind, that it does.

lickbull.jpg

lickbull.jpg

feeling pretty good now...7 on the ground and 5 more to go by Christmas I hope.

What have you done for a new bull? Three or more of your cows should be bred back already. Really I'm just trying to figure out what you've figured out. Do you have a plan on how your cows are going to get bred back on time this time? You need more than just good luck.

well I guess im just pounding my thumb with a hammer. :deadhorse: not having any calfs we didn't have any income. so I haven't had the money to put into a bull.

I have been considering keeping one of the 2 in the last pic for a bull but I know how long that will take.

idk really. I know I need a bull but I don't have the cash flow yet. guess im just hangin on til I can market a few of these calfs. further behind I know :bang:

I know the problem and I have 2 to cull along with the bull so maybe that will bring me enough cash to buy hay and get another bull.

kind of a rock and a hard place dontchaknow. once I have the cash in place ill start the serious search.

im def open to any other suggestions

Imo I would sell the bull and sell as many calves as needed no.matter the age to buy a bull. Time is not on your side right now. As you know it is 16 months from today till the next crop of calfs are ready to sell if they were bred today.

if you dont own much id go to the bank and get a loan to buy a new bull.all you would have to put up is your cows till its payed off.

Time to find a bull before you are way behind with the calving season. Don't have to be a beefmaster bull as long as he get all cows bred but right now time is your enemy.

I don't know, but it seems that time is money here. I know it's might not appear to be in line with your goal of growing your herd, but time is money here. So think about selling the bull and a pair to meet your immediate needs of hay and a steady calf crop. At today's calf price a lot of money will be left on the table by slow rebreeding.

At the present time, 3 cows 2 months late is one $1400 unsold calf for the year. Two of these easily pay for bull I bought last May.

I know....ive got at least one to cull with him. im not going on credit. gotta make some to spend some. I realize time is killin me...that's how I got into this mess...time.

I guess we are gonna hafta make a really tough call. not on the bull. but on what else to go to raise the rest of the cash. not a lot of options here cept for the barn. and that's ok..

I was thinkin along the lines of keepin mine on til I had the cash to go buy one then when I was ready to take delivery haul mine off. figured having him around doing something was better than having no bull at all doing anything. any that he does breed will be good before hes gone. that's probly 6 mos from now tho

he wont..but having him there til I procure another bull is better than having no bull on the pasture at all.
im in contact with the frenzel family now trying to come up with a plan to hook up with someone who has bought one of their bulls locally. he had been at the house one day and mentioned they sell to a cpl ranches not far away.
I know I need to make the bull go away but its just a matter of a cpl days when he is going to the market. him and a calf and a cpl cull will bring me what I need in a day or 2.
this isn't my only job so I dont get to it probly as fast as I should..its my second full time job..sometimes my second and third full time job.
I know I know..slackin

dieselbeef":2sfrmg20 said:
he wont..but having him there til I procure another bull is better than having no bull on the pasture at all.
im in contact with the frenzel family now trying to come up with a plan to hook up with someone who has bought one of their bulls locally. he had been at the house one day and mentioned they sell to a cpl ranches not far away.
I know I need to make the bull go away but its just a matter of a cpl days when he is going to the market. him and a calf and a cpl cull will bring me what I need in a day or 2.
this isn't my only job so I dont get to it probly as fast as I should..its my second full time job..sometimes my second and third full time job.
I know I know..slackin

A freind of mine is a Good breeder up in Opp, Alabama. Mainly Ai's pm me if you might be interested in his contact Info

sell the bull and buy a young 14 to 16mo angus/ brangus / char / for the same or less than the money you got out of you old bull. The calves you get next year are not what your really want but reading between the lines you need cash flow and those calves will produce that. cull or wean some of this years calves for operating capital hay, feed etc. then you can sell the temp bull next year along with your calf crop and buy the bull you really want. FWIW I operate the same way. everything I buy or do on the farm is paid for by the cows. it took me 3 years to get to where I could buy a PB bull. last year I borrowed money to buy a small herd. I paid 2/3's off in march off of last years calves and just paid the last 1/3rd off with some of my fall calves. I bought hay, maintenance, fence repairs, used equipment , upgrades etc. during this time period and still have cash to operate. I have a small herd and everything is paid for. with the prices we are seeing a cow that takes 2or 3cycles to rebreed is costing money. sometimes you gotta sacrifice your goals to make sensible business decisions. :2cents:

Latest posts