no calfs this yr

Help Support CattleToday:

i did too but thats not exactly an inheritable? trait.

btw we got 5 calfs in the last 5 wks...so theyre finally starting to show up. 3 of em were way late..2 of em were within a month

dieselbeef":3owl1t10 said:
reasoning?

There is no proof that vigor is not passed down. In my experience I would believe it to be beneficial to bring in new blood and introduce new genetics into your herd if you have kept replacements. I dont see why someone wouldnt want to improve what they already have. No one has the perfect bull who throws the perfect calves or the perfect cow who throws perfect calves genetics are always improving.

im hunting a new bull...jsut observing the new one

im at work today and the wife calls and tells me we got a hifer ready to calf..so i say give it an hr and go check again..calls me and says..we got one..just hit the grnd in the past hr....but its in the pond..hang on ill be right back...so i hear her callin and messin with the momma and she comes back madder than heck cuz her flip flop got lost in the mud...bwahhaaaa..funny stuff right there..
told her be proud of the mud in her crotch and armpits..she saved tha little calf...and nobody was around to take any pics
i love my wife...im so proud..shes only 5' 2''...jumped right in

To the OP, I don't know how I missed this thread, but i can say, I know how you feel.

I had 16 heifers turned with a bull in November of 2012. The calves were scattered from September 2013 to march 2014, and a couple didn't even have a calf.

This year, I've had one in August, one in September, and some standing around acting like they're in heat.

I wish I had started this 25 years ago instead of3 2011; maybe all this crap would have been worked out by now.

nah it dont go away..ita always something.thing is unless its your only occupation and are able to do it everyday on a full time basis youre not gonna see these things. turn them hiefers out and wait 9-10 mos...unless youcan have a vet come out and check em..or check yer bull every season. my bull runs all yr. i know when i should have calfs but i cant check him or the cows til i notice they arent on time..it just isnt practical for me

time is your enemy with this deal. havin done it longer now...i started with 1 cow in 2000 on 3 ac and now i have 25 cows and with my owned and leased land ive got about 80 ac. last nihgt i rode the whole thing for 2 hrs lookin for a newborn....didnt find it til i stalked momma 9 pm last might. she walked me right to it. i knew she would..in time

DB how would like to ride over and walk close to 200acs looking for cows.we dont usually have todo that unless we have a cow or heifer ready to calve and they arnt with the herd.

usually we keep em closer to home but she came in w/o it after she calfed out there..i didn't find it till almost 9 pm...I probly rode 10 ft from it more than once..funny how they hide em aint it

dieselbeef":3douoq1s said:
nah it dont go away..ita always something.thing is unless its your only occupation and are able to do it everyday on a full time basis youre not gonna see these things. turn them hiefers out and wait 9-10 mos...unless youcan have a vet come out and check em..or check yer bull every season. my bull runs all yr. i know when i should have calfs but i cant check him or the cows til i notice they arent on time..it just isnt practical for me

I can relate; I don't do it for a living and a lot of things aren't practical for me either. I know a lot of people suggest shipping a cow if it doesn't calve one season, and if it were a matter of food or no food on the table for me, I guess I would be a little more particular too, but I just have to let them go and hope for the best.

well mines a bit more than a hobby...but some would think so....hobbies are fun..this is fun..but it takes way more work than a hobby and alot of it i dont like doing...but its part of the deal.
yea cull it is a common thing round here..i would be real happy to have some of these crappy bulls and cull cows.
like i said unless yer on a huge scale time is yer worst enemy here

DB
I have tried to read the entire thread but I know I have missed a bunch as far as replies and advise. I sure hate that you have had this bad luck. If I am understanding correctly the issue is that your cows are bred but all of them are at least three to four months behind where they should be.

You leave your bull in the pasture year round with no defined breeding season.
You purchase some cows from your local sale barn.
You do not have a BSE done on your bull each year.
You do not have an annual vac program for your herd.

Have I got all this right or am I missing something?

gizmom

gizmom":16apk2xr said:
DB
I have tried to read the entire thread but I know I have missed a bunch as far as replies and advise. I sure hate that you have had this bad luck. If I am understanding correctly the issue is that your cows are bred but all of them are at least three to four months behind where they should be.

You leave your bull in the pasture year round with no defined breeding season.
this is true...hes with them all yr

You purchase some cows from your local sale barn. no never have. private from a friend. they are way more involved and trusted on amuch bigger scale than myself

You do not have a BSE done on your bull each year. no..never had an issue

You do not have an annual vac program for your herd. we vac for problems but not preventative. our herd is completely closed. no other cows with in 1000 feet and no contact at all. all hiefers brought in are naturally virgins. straight offa the momma we wean em here.

hope you can help but weve had another now..and the real kicker is that the neighbor down the rd is having almost exactly the same issues and is calfing in almost the same time frame...weve had 7 in about 9 weeks now. shes had 4 I think in the last few wks..all about 5 mos late

gary

Have I got all this right or am I missing something?

gizmom

i appreciate ya'lls inputs. one of them things i guess we'll never know..but sure wish i did. on the upside the clafs are great. and i have got almost all of them sold already...nice to have a good customer base
gary

newcalf1.jpg

newcalf4.jpg

newcalf3.jpg

Latest posts