no calfs this yr

Help Support CattleToday:

dieselbeef

Reaction score
we shouldve had 8 by now and even at that we would have been behind. so i got the vet to look and theyre bred just late..so it either a std letting em slip or time for a new bull..

guess i gotta get the vet to see if i can get the bull tested....

should be on track for 20 calves a yr..not gonna happen at this rate..dangit...really makin it tough to pay the bills..

any thoughts on this ove overlooked. bull is 6 yrs old..being theyre bred hes working but maybe hes just getting lazy..or 20 cows/heifers too much for the old boy

He's not to old. I would lean more towards minerals and feed. Maybe some of your feed had something to do with it. I would think it was a bull problem myself.

If it were me I would have been posting about selling the bull instead of getting it tested. I think you should sell asap and since the cows are bred you have time to find a nice bull to replace him.

1st id have the bull fert tested.and see if he passes.then id look at your salt and mineral program.then id look at your hay in the winter.do you put out protine tubbs for the herd during winter or when the grass gets short.20 cows isnt to much for 1 bull.we run double that to 1 bull.i bet your bull aint firing hot enough or he just got lazy and bored with the cows.they do that sometimes after being with the same herd for years.

bigbull338":1w1wx5dw said:
1st id have the bull fert tested.and see if he passes.then id look at your salt and mineral program.then id look at your hay in the winter.do you put out protine tubbs for the herd during winter or when the grass gets short.20 cows isnt to much for 1 bull.we run double that to 1 bull.i bet your bull aint firing hot enough or he just got lazy and bored with the cows.they do that sometimes after being with the same herd for years.

That's a common male thing.

fitz

I just have a problem with losing money when the market is extremely HOT and there is 1 common denominator the " Bull" I wouldn't test anything but how fast he could get on the trailer.

i use the vet rec minerals and always have free choice salt. bull runs with em all yr long so we calf and breed all diff times of the yr. never had any issues. always calfed about 11-12 mos or less. been in the same pastures as well.
the feed is the same...i go thru so much of it i never have it for lengths of time to make this kinda problem. they get very little. 3 5 gal buckets for all 20 of em to fight over

the vet did mention that the bull couldve just got lazy...hit em once and go lay down instead of stayin on em the whole time theyre in heat.
i been lookin into a new bull. gonna be tough to find one good as this one tho.
vet had me shoot the whole herd with vision 7 and triangle 10 to rule out std's or some kind of reproductive disease. thats done so....

what else to ask the vet about..i mean i would think he would know why it aint happening for me. he works all the dairys around here so he knows whats going on..guess the next thing to do is test the bull.

nice all this goes on with the highest market prices in history!

skyhightree1":22wmqtua said:
I just have a problem with losing money when the market is extremely HOT and there is 1 common denominator the " Bull" I wouldn't test anything but how fast he could get on the trailer.

thats a whole nother issue..hes so big he doesnt fit down the chute and hauling him will def be a challenge. well git it done if need be but testing him is first...

can the vet test him if he traquilizes him in the pasture?

no he has tobe at the vets tobe semen tested.so the vet can see if his swimmers are good under the microscope.

dieselbeef":2sw0lqtx said:
i use the vet rec minerals and always have free choice salt. bull runs with em all yr long so we calf and breed all diff times of the yr. never had any issues. always calfed about 11-12 mos or less. been in the same pastures as well.
the feed is the same...i go thru so much of it i never have it for lengths of time to make this kinda problem. they get very little. 3 5 gal buckets for all 20 of em to fight over

the vet did mention that the bull couldve just got lazy...hit em once and go lay down instead of stayin on em the whole time theyre in heat.
i been lookin into a new bull. gonna be tough to find one good as this one tho.
vet had me shoot the whole herd with vision 7 and triangle 10 to rule out std's or some kind of reproductive disease. thats done so....

what else to ask the vet about..i mean i would think he would know why it aint happening for me. he works all the dairys around here so he knows whats going on..guess the next thing to do is test the bull.

nice all this goes on with the highest market prices in history!

I not poking at you but if he didn't do his job, he ain'T a GOOD one. and a replacement will be easy to find. If he is to big for the shoot he cover 3/4 price of the new bull with kill price.

So it sounds like you didn;t have him tested before breeding season, strike 1. The bull needs to be restrained, however the vet is comfortable doing it would be fine. Tranqing him I'm not sure he could get an ejaculation to test. The vet will normally check for swimmers as soon as he gets the ejaculation, ours just hot foots it into the parlor. The staining and examining for damage he does at his leasure back at the shop since they need to be dead and stained to get a good look at them.

yer right m5 he probly would kill for almost the repl cost...

i guess yer right bout being a good one if he doesnt work huh...

nah dun..never had him checked.

last time the vet was out i had him preg checking and he said..well the bull seems to be working since theyre bred...so then we kinda went a diff direction with the whole std ..must be slipping the calf thing

maybe time to be rethinking it.
derek frenzel was happening by not too long ago to give me a sales pitch on his bulls....might be time to give him a call

http://frenzelbeefmasters.com/sales.html

http://www.cattleinmotion.com/issuu/bee ... -bull-sale

right now for DB if he culled his old bull he should get $2000 for him or more depending on what he weighs and brings pre lb.but he will have to put $1500 or more with him to buy another reg beefmaster bull.now he could get lucky and find 1 in the $3000 range.DB frenzel has a real good herd.but trucking from tx fla could cost big $.

dieselbeef":rwlrkoe4 said:
skyhightree1":rwlrkoe4 said:

thats a whole nother issue..hes so big he doesnt fit down the chute and hauling him will def be a challenge. well git it done if need be but testing him is first...

can the vet test him if he traquilizes him in the pasture?

ahh I had one like that. Yea db if he didnt do his job seriously why waste the time and fuel and $$ to test him you have all evidence you need in your pasture that something isn't right.

man everything moves so slow in the cattle biz...takes so long to figure out ya got a problem..well the way we do it..no ai or testing. maybe were getting big enough to start doing some of this stuff now.

ahh I had one like that. Yea db if he didnt do his job seriously why waste the time and fuel and $$ to test him you have all evidence you need in your pasture that something isn't right.[/quote]

well thats true but id like to know for sure that he IS the prolem before i go spend 3-5k on a bull. wasted money if it happens again with a new one and then im even further behind

Latest posts