no calfs this yr

Help Support CattleToday:

dieselbeef":2l4m3oc9 said:
ahh I had one like that. Yea db if he didnt do his job seriously why waste the time and fuel and $$ to test him you have all evidence you need in your pasture that something isn't right.

well thats true but id like to know for sure that he IS the prolem before i go spend 3-5k on a bull. wasted money if it happens again with a new one and then im even further behind[/quote]

True but how likely is it for 20 cows to all have the same issue?

well i had the vet out and he rec the vac because we werent having any calfs

see what i mean..im in a bit of a idk wtf to do ..test the bull is probly the best bet

dieselbeef":loqzgb67 said:
well i had the vet out and he rec the vac because we werent having any calfs

see what i mean..im in a bit of a idk wtf to do ..test the bull is probly the best bet
Find a new vet because yours ain't too bright. He should have tested one animal(bull) before Even thinking the problem was with the entire group
Now, get the bull tested.

It is. Vision 7 is a (killed) clostridial vaccine.

IMO you can't rule out the bull or the cows or both as the cause of the delayed calf crop.

You after answers or just sharing the frustration?

milkmaid":30925upl said:
It is. Vision 7 is a (killed) clostridial vaccine.

IMO you can't rule out the bull or the cows or both as the cause of the delayed calf crop.

You after answers or just sharing the frustration?

both..venting to people that understand the problem.

the vet didnt really think it was the bull since they are bred..just 4-6 mos late. so he works..just maybe not as much as he should. slipped the calfs is what the vet kept mentioning

Well I'm done using all the fancy vaccines, only had troubles when we did. Covexin 8 with tetanus and a injectable wormer is all our cows are getting from now on. Been 2 years trouble free again. I think there's more side effects than what the drug are telling us about.
Gary sorry for your bad luck, maybe you should listen to the wife a little more.

thanks hg..ill keep that in mind...

yeah it sucks redbull but im in it now...if there couldbe an upside...i might end up with a black beefmaster if he turns out to be unuseable

gonna try to make arrangements asap with the vet

I can't believe that you weren't aware that you had a problem much earlier. Don't you get to see your cows very often?
When I put a bull with my cows I am always watching and I write down the dates of the cows with the bull and if they return to him in 3 weeks. I will be on to it straight away if I have a couple of those first few returning and will replace the bull. I use virgin yearling bulls for clean up and I need to know straight away that they are doing the job.
Ken

wbvs58":2ep64gw9 said:
I can't believe that you weren't aware that you had a problem much earlier. Don't you get to see your cows very often?
When I put a bull with my cows I am always watching and I write down the dates of the cows with the bull and if they return to him in 3 weeks. I will be on to it straight away if I have a couple of those first few returning and will replace the bull. I use virgin yearling bulls for clean up and I need to know straight away that they are doing the job.
Ken
Thanks. That's been my thought throughout this post. I've got a small operation of 22 mamas and look and record daily who the "it" girl is that day. No "it" girls for the a month or so, so hoping the job is done.

Latest posts