no calfs this yr

Help Support CattleToday:

DB you could also be like me.im in heavy culling mode right now on my reg cows.already culled 2 that missed calving this spring and for age.still have 1 pair left to cull due to age.so ill be buying reg cattle back this year.if i dont buy a herd bull calf on a cow this fall.ill be looking to buy a bull next fall anyway.

how true it is....

wanna hear something really strange related to this...guy down the road comes by to get some feed and bs and tells me his daughters herd is about 6 mos late calfing at about 1/2 the rate. theyre about a mi don the road...so i tell my wife this and sheasks me if i think it might be from the ...somehtin new this yr...aerial spraying of the groves. theyve started spraying with helicopters this past yr instead of ground booms.
no telling what but its just another spoke in the broken wheel
unlikely it would matter to both herds but it sure seemed odd huh?

I feel it's something like that DB. Food, spray, wormer, vaccines, maybe fertilizer who knows. I don't see how it could be a cow problem. When I didn't have a bull for 5 months once we still knew which cows were in heat. They were jumping each other all the time and acting hornny.

yeah i just threw it out there cause after i was whining bout it to him he told me his daughters in the same boat...

idk..i been sick for the last few days so i havent even tried to do anything cept keep up..

alright im gonna throw this out there because for some reason while i was sleeping last nite i woke up and th first thing i thought of was

they just installed a 200 ft microwave tower next door..last summer..the power co uses it for a booster from one station to the next...

i wonder...

TennesseeTuxedo":2mcs054m said:
Are aliens still taking cows into their space ships and performing bizarre experiments on them before retuning them to earth?

Can't rule that out.
A highly advanced species picks out our insignificant little planet out of millions of others, crosses instellar space in the blink of an eye, avoids all public detection, all for the sole purposes of covertly doing investigative surgery on a few cows and making odd geometric patterns in the fields. :roll: :roll:

Diesel, we are not alone because there has been an issue with cows coming open around here for a few years.

dieselbeef":4x5hnqnm said:
any ideas then sir?
At first I thought it may be Grazon so I asked for the advice of others on here. Nobody seems to have any problems with Grazon. Then I asked if others thought it may be the Perilla Mint. Perilla Mint will damage the lungs but isn't an aborteficant.

We are mowing pasture before we let the cattle on it this year and do not have as many coming open as last year. The weather is brutal so we are trying to avoid buildup of toxins in the older growth. It cannot be a single bull or single breed issue because the bulls are new and the herd is a mixed gumbo of everything.

I wish I knew Diesel. A cow that was bred came into estrus the same time as her heifer daughter yesterday. I had to hose down our Hereford bull because he was giving himself a heat stroke trying to get to them.

JW, In yall's case, do you know for a fact that the cows/heifers were bred and just slipped--or unsure whether they ever settled or not?

greybeard":3lyjob1d said:
JW, In yall's case, do you know for a fact that the cows/heifers were bred and just slipped--or unsure whether they ever settled or not?

The cow that came open was from a group of sale barn specials. She is an older yellow white faced horned cow with about a 6-7 month old butterscotch colored heifer from a Charolais bull. I am pretty sure she was bred by the Charolais bulls because the Hereford never looked at her before and the Charolais have been with her since January.

About two months ago we were pretty sure we only had one Jersey Brahman cow still open. She had the youngest calf, the Hereford was bird dogging her, and the Charolais were chasing/breeding her.

Now one thing I had not considered is that 100 acres north of me was converted from cattle to sugarcane two years ago. They are crop dusting a lot with pyrethroid inscecticides during the summer when the cane is really growing. The cattle could be drinking runoff filled with the pyrethroids.

I watched my cows all day..bulls not after any of em..im gonna assume cuz theyre all bred...vet be out Tuesday to see..he wont check em all but enough to see if the bulls on his game or not...if I can get the bull in well check him too..easier said than done tho cuz he wont fit down the alley

DB
I am over in highlands county. We are having the same problem over here..calves are coming late. Have 7 calves now..should have 15! All rancher/neighbors around having same problem. Like you..we do not know why.
RL

fd21fdfb1a98adfe317c87f094a1c6cbb313b458a3d6827a9416eae572b598e8.jpg

Latest posts