no calfs this yr

Help Support CattleToday:

so vet says he will be out tues to do the semen check..finally..geez..

then he asks me how old and tells me if hes 6 ya might as well be done with him and start again with another 2 yr old.

or i could hold out for him to have a son out of the ones he has bred...ive got a few that will calf purebreds. ill hafta have one in the meantime even if i grow one out.

so the test is 100 bucks and the vet tells me save my money and just look for another bull...

well at least im making progress and decisions...man ill hate to see this one go. :cry2:

DB know you hate to send that bull to the sale.but its time to sell him and get a new bull.as high as slaughter bulls are youll make some good money.

yeah i know it...but with his temperment and calfs i got lucky with him. too bad yer so far away. i dont have alotta dealings with any local bfmstr peeps cept the rafter 2c wher i been getting my hiefers..called them already to see what shes got..

asked about getting a herd bull theyre done with to fill in the gap til i can grow out a calf or if it works out then ill keep him on for awhile and see how it goes....long as its a purebred im ok

bull failed the test..guess he fergot to study ! low mobility...low counts the way it looked to me..but idk nothing. lots of little fellas swimming around in circle like their head was tied to a post. vet said if he was testin them hed have not made the cut. so

the search is on now for a purebred beefmaster...dammit

nah man I had the vet from the dairy do it for me..he did it manually w/o the probe. I got pics if ya really need em..
he brought all the stuff and went right from the bull to the barn..wife and I both got to look. was kinda cool to see it even if I didn't know what I was seeing..but he explained it and I get it.

sucks really tho. the bull has everything I could want in a bull except the important part

now the search is on for a purebred bfmstr bull..dangit...dangit dangit

the vet said that he didnt have the right stuff going on. low mobility mostly. lots of sperm all clumped together in little pockets like. the few swimmers didnt really go anywhere like they should. looked like low count to me too tho.

so yeah the bull is not doing his job. he has enough activity to get some of em bred or all of em if he stays on it..but not enough to be reliable.

on a brighter note we did have a calf last night and we got 3-4 more just about ready. 6 mos late..but at least its something positive.

Gary, having your calves all grouped together late still puzzles me. He must of had a good run or something. I still can't believe you didn't notice the cows comming back into heat. Bet you will next time if it ever happens again. Good luck on finding a new bull.

dieselbeef":28q1z5wr said:
the vet said that he didnt have the right stuff going on. low mobility mostly. lots of sperm all clumped together in little pockets like. the few swimmers didnt really go anywhere like they should. looked like low count to me too tho.

so yeah the bull is not doing his job. he has enough activity to get some of em bred or all of em if he stays on it..but not enough to be reliable.

on a brighter note we did have a calf last night and we got 3-4 more just about ready. 6 mos late..but at least its something positive.

Congrats I hope they all come smoothly and are healthy. Yea I would have bet my farm it was the bull.

going to look for another bfmstr..i have mostly bfmstr cows and a few hiefers so i would like to stay on track with that. i dont reg them but they are purebreds..i doubt it matters to anyone but me..but...

dieselbeef":wgp2i8le said:
going to look for another bfmstr..i have mostly bfmstr cows and a few hiefers so i would like to stay on track with that. i dont reg them but they are purebreds..i doubt it matters to anyone but me..but...

I understand. I wish you well in your search. Have you found any prospects?

DB why dont you reg the heifers you deem worthy to keep.to me your leaving money on the table.you could sell your excess heifers for good money.i sold 3 show calf prospects to 1 family.that only left me with 2 replacement heifers.but id sell them if some1 wanted them.at 6yrs old it was time to replace your bull anyway.you can replace him for $4500 or less.

vet.jpg

vet1.jpg

[imghttp://ranchers.net/photopost/data/500/medium/vet3.jpg][/img]
vet2.jpg

Latest posts