Nh br740 baler

Help Support CattleToday:

Sd1030

Reaction score
Ok bought a used nh br 740 this spring, so far the baler has done pretty good baling hay. My biggest complaint is the core of the bales are really loose. I know that nh cores are loser than deere and some of the other balers, but my neighbor has one and his seems to make a tighter core than mine. Ive been told it could be from not evenly distributing hay in chamber when starting the roll. I can see where that could be it but i bale like my neighbor even behind his rake and cant seem to get cores like him. Im wondering if belts could be stretched or the rollers that start roll could be wore. Any thoughts?

Running the pressure round 2000 psi or so. I have tried starting slow then picking up speed once core starts building, tried running at a higher speed whole time. Im pulling it with a jd 5525, and on good ground that aint rough i bale round 4-5 mph. Im very knew at this so thanks for the input. What speeds do you start core at and bale?

Open the back end of your baler up and look at the rollers... are they the same distance spacing width from one end to the other? If one of the rollers looks to be "out of place" just a little bit, that could be the cause of your problem. NH Balers are known for the end bushings of the rollers to come loose to the point where they fall out. Refer to your owners manual for how to replace the bushings.

We run the 770 and I bale around 1200psi. Depending on how thick your rows are, will determine your ground speed. Make sure that you pay attention to your monitor and that you are feeding the baler evenly.

Good Luck!

M-5":3esexnq3 said:
skyhightree1":3esexnq3 said:
I keep telling you be thankful the core isn't rock hard for ease of spiking the bales LOL
I spike just above center. It keeps the bale from spinning if I don't have short stabilizer spears in

ahh that works too... I bought the lift that slides under the bales I love it.

ResizedImage_1436884879170_zpsf42d0300.jpg

ResizedImage_1436884878703_zpsde666bb5.jpg

posted for SD

TN Cattle Man":2dxt1rju said:
Open the back end of your baler up and look at the rollers... are they the same distance spacing width from one end to the other? If one of the rollers looks to be "out of place" just a little bit, that could be the cause of your problem. NH Balers are known for the end bushings of the rollers to come loose to the point where they fall out. Refer to your owners manual for how to replace the bushings.

We run the 770 and I bale around 1200psi. Depending on how thick your rows are, will determine your ground speed. Make sure that you pay attention to your monitor and that you are feeding the baler evenly.

Good Luck!
How do you get a tight bale at 1200psi I have never ran below 1800 or the bales were loose

I use to stack mine close butt to butt .. Then last year we got all that rain and snow and a good portion of the bales sat and rotted since no air stirring in between to dry them out.

Sd1030":2lnxlohj said:
Running the pressure round 2000 psi or so. I have tried starting slow then picking up speed once core starts building, tried running at a higher speed whole time. Im pulling it with a jd 5525, and on good ground that aint rough i bale round 4-5 mph. Im very knew at this so thanks for the input. What speeds do you start core at and bale?
Unless your sledge roll frame is wore I don't know what to tell you
I always bale around 8 mph and i want the windrow as big as the pick up on the baler the more hay in the windrow the better your bales will be

Not sure if your referring to them being in wrong place due to shade, but those pics were taken in late evening. They actually catch sun the biggest part of the day, just cant tell that in pics. I stacked some last year under trees and learned a valuable lesson. Like i said i you cant tell it in pics but they get alot of sun right there.

Sky thanks for posting by the way.

Ac what pressure you run yours at?

Angus Cowman":1ki6y6k3 said:
TN Cattle Man":1ki6y6k3 said:

Good Luck!
How do you get a tight bale at 1200psi I have never ran below 1800 or the bales were loose
I have never had my gauge calibrated... I know that if I run it much over 1200, I would have the heaviest bales in the county. When my gauge reads 1200, my bales are perfect.

Tn cattle man, ill have to check that when i get a chance, thanks for the advice. Ac i agree the bales are loose, i hope i can get it figured out. Bought the baler it had right at 11,000 rolls on it, i wanted one with less rolls but couldnt justifiy at the time spending alot of money on one, for only doing the amount of hay i do. Overall it has done fine, with just a few minor issues. Would any of you have pics of some of yalls bales to compare cores?