NH 678 baler?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
How many hp to handle this baler? Not sure what they are going to ask for this baler but it looks really good.

They are a 5x5 Baler, so 60-70 hp ought to handle it, unless your ground in mostly steep, then I would want at least another 10hp and price wise 8k-9k ought to buy a pretty nice one.

jltrent":3eb6313z said:
They are a 5x5 Baler, so 60-70 hp ought to handle it, unless your ground in mostly steep, then I would want at least another 10hp and price wise 8k-9k ought to buy a pretty nice one.
I got 62 pto hp, saw a guy pulling one once with same tractor as mine except cab. He said it handled pretty good, a little worried it might be too much.

I pull some pretty steep hills here with a NH 4x4 behind the same tractor. If it were a 5x5 I wouldn't want to start some of the climbs with close to a full roll. I just think the 4x4 is a better fit.

fitz

I have tried my darn-est to find some original specs on the NH 678 and no luck yet. I thought I had a dealer pamphlet, but no luck finding that either. Usually when pulling a round baler, hay moisture and land grade are very important in hp requirements. Pulled a Vermeer 5x5 for several thousand round bales with around a 60 hp tractor, but with high moisture hay or fairly steep land more hp would have been nice, but otherwise it handled it well.

I pull a 4x6 baler with a 80hp tractor and it's the very least I would go with. I wouldn't buy a 5x5 planning on pulling it with a 70hp tractor.