new truck

Help Support CattleToday:

jltrent said:
Truck sales totals so far in 2020............The new Chevy trucks, as you have to look close, are almost a copy of the Ford designs. I guess if you can't beat them then joint them.

https://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2020-us-pickup-truck-sales-figures-by-model/

That 7.3 is a whole lot closer to a GM LS engine than anything Ford has dreamed up in the past. With the whole 6.0 Powerstroke debacle, and the trainwreck that was the Triton series, seemed like they couldn't build a good engine for a long time.

Atimm693 said:
jltrent said:
Truck sales totals so far in 2020............The new Chevy trucks, as you have to look close, are almost a copy of the Ford designs. I guess if you can't beat them then joint them.

https://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2020-us-pickup-truck-sales-figures-by-model/

That 7.3 is a whole lot closer to a GM LS engine than anything Ford has dreamed up in the past. With the whole 6.0 Powerstroke debacle, and the trainwreck that was the Triton series, seemed like they couldn't build a good engine for a long time.
All have had their teething pain. Neighbors Duramax fill the engine full of fuel and destroyed it with a major catastrophe with injectors that is still on going. Common GM V8 problems include oil pressure concerns, Camshaft issues, oil pan pressure release valves, Spun DOD lifters, Valve cover updates, oil pan gasket to name a few. Flip a coin on problems.

papavillars said:
my 2006 silverado duramax is starting to wear out. i replaced ball joints, pitman arms, steering box, tie rods. then the power steering pump went out. i was puliing a hopper with three tons of 24,6,12 fertilixzer and went to stop. no brakes and couldn't turn in to driveway. Replaced with a new pump and on the stupid thing started squeeling. Tried tightening the belt, nope a defective new part. It only has 249,600 miles on it but thinking of buying a new truck. this one will be a gasser. thinking of a ford F250 with 4 wheel drive. i dont know anybody who has one so looking for a little feed back. thanks in advance. Bill
Yep sounds like a wore out dirty max. How much do you want for it?
I can't believe you would think about buying a Ford but a gas burner at that. 😣😟😬 I don't understand how you could do that. 🤷🏽‍♀️
If my husband buys a Ford I'm going to be 😠 🤬😡 😅😝🤡

bball, my driverside power lock is also out. window is real slow and headliner coming loose. but everything else is ok.I will look for a great buy on a 2018, or 2019 .Not the corona, but i definitely have the fever.

Stocker Steve said:
bball Was thinking exactly like you are; making the transition to a Ford gasser. [/quote said:
Get the gas.
Why is Ford HD hot?

From what I've heard GMs have really gone down the crapper within the past few years.

papavillars said:
my 2006 silverado duramax is starting to wear out. i replaced ball joints, pitman arms, steering box, tie rods. then the power steering pump went out. i was puliing a hopper with three tons of 24,6,12 fertilixzer and went to stop. no brakes and couldn't turn in to driveway. Replaced with a new pump and on the stupid thing started squeeling. Tried tightening the belt, nope a defective new part. It only has 249,600 miles on it but thinking of buying a new truck. this one will be a gasser. thinking of a ford F250 with 4 wheel drive. i dont know anybody who has one so looking for a little feed back. thanks in advance. Bill

So you got 250k out a Chevy and had to replace a few wear items and you think going to a Ford is a good idea? :shock: Your hunting unicorns.

Lots of big talk from guys with daily drivers likely less than 15 years old. I bet the doors still close on your trucks. Noobs.

If you use a truck I'd say 10 yrs or 200k is probably getting ready to give you lots of trouble. Especially the knick knack items. I'd say my driver door has been opened and shut 3-4x as much as a normal pickup at a year old, same with driver window. Suspension has at least twice the wear as normal. Good news is the passenger side is still like brand new. Shoot the interior has probably seen more dirt and feed dust then most trucks will ever see. Anything you use to tend cattle is going to give you trouble. Everyone thinks a pickup should go a million miles these days.

Aaron said:
Lots of big talk from guys with daily drivers likely less than 15 years old. I bet the doors still close on your trucks. Noobs.

Door handles, locks, switches, etc are all cheap and easy to fix on those trucks... if a person wants to.

I've wore out my fair share of trucks, put motors, transmissions, rear ends, etc in them... and wore them out again. My business use to be driving to 30+ O&G locations a day. I followed dozers in some times.

I did that and tended cattle along the way to the tune of 60K+ miles a year. If your truck lasts 15 years... you aren't working it hard enough. :lol2:

Used to work out and put about 150K to 200K on a half ton truck and then semi retire it to farm status. Had a lot of small issues at that point in truck life but parts and shade tree mechanics were available as needed. Tried overloading them when hauling hay, but learned not to do that. Had one where the driver forgot about tow haul and tranny temp. Then drove it hard for several more years w/o third gear. Ended up pulling $1200 worth of parts for its successor.

Newer half ton trucks with more gadgets and lotsa speed transmissions have greatly increased towing capacity, but are also more expensive to repair. Not sure they are a good long term farm choice. I see the BTOs here moving up to 1 tons trucks.

Here I thought we were talking about real 3/4 and 1 ton farm trucks. Not 1/2 ton off-farm job trucks that just run the roads.

I think you have to look at towing capacity to define a modern farm truck. Towing technology has changed profoundly.

I know the BTOs have gone semis and one ton pickups. Perhaps a one ton is overkill to pull the combine header around?

Questions... so people that don't use their vehicles that put miles on them... what are they for? I mean do they just sit at home like naw can't go out my vehicle is getting to many miles?? Do they walk to work to save on their miles and drive just on rainy day or what? I've always been confused by people that act scared of miles on a vehicle. Some people will trade their cars in after before they get x miles normally under 100,000. Shoot I'm over here like how many miles will this thing go before I'm walking. 😅👐🏽 Hey!!
I'm guessing its the difference in people that can fix a vehicle when it has little problems and needs repairs vs people that don't have a clue how to change the tires or oil. And I most definitely don't mean anything bad by that. God gave us all things we maybe better at and others we may need to work on.... and some we just need to know better than to do. 😉😅 As for me I shouldn't do computer repairs. 😔😠 I will be doing some really good repairs fixing it really good to find out its completely 👌 😆NOT!!! A complete disaster. Hey but I did try and not I know better.

Chevy said:
Questions... so people that don't use their vehicles that put miles on them... what are they for? I mean do they just sit at home like naw can't go out my vehicle is getting to many miles?? Do they walk to work to save on their miles and drive just on rainy day or what? I've always been confused by people that act scared of miles on a vehicle. Some people will trade their cars in after before they get x miles normally under 100,000. Shoot I'm over here like how many miles will this thing go before I'm walking. 😅👐🏽 Hey!!
I'm guessing its the difference in people that can fix a vehicle when it has little problems and needs repairs vs people that don't have a clue how to change the tires or oil. And I most definitely don't mean anything bad by that. God gave us all things we maybe better at and others we may need to work on.... and some we just need to know better than to do. 😉😅 As for me I shouldn't do computer repairs. 😔😠 I will be doing some really good repairs fixing it really good to find out its completely 👌 😆NOT!!! A complete disaster. Hey but I did try and not I know better.
You sound like you know how to turn spanners Shell. You seem very knowledgeable on these trucks.

Ken

Chevy said:

Lots of days where I don't drive mine, and certainly not alone - lots of neighbors that don't go anywhere with a vehicle for a week or better. Those with off-farm jobs are different, they are always on the road and go through vehicles like water bottles. I just don't understand why someone would be running the roads continually if their main occupation is farming.

hey everyone, I appreciate the discussion. I do most of my own repairs, but a few years back I did have my nephew put a new turbo on this truck. I like to keep a couple of old beater trucks around. A 94 Toyota t100, and a 2005 toyota tacoma. Theses are my daily feed/ farm trucks. grandkids grew up learning how to drive them. Now i have a 15 yo grandson that turns 16 in Nov. If I buy a new truck he will own the duramax. Unfortunately he has no mechanical skills. He tries but the skill is not there. He can run faster and throw a baseball further and harder than most kids. Its amazing how mechanical skills passed him, but computer melt at his touch.

Latest posts