New truck buying lesson wanted

Help Support CattleToday:

bse":kb49omvk said:
The trade in may be a better option, here in TN you have to pay sales tax, with no trade in you pay on the full amount, with the trade in only the difference, so with a pretty good trade in it could be a few thousand dollars saved in taxes.
Here you don't have to trend it to the dealer. If you sell it to someone else you can use that to take off some of the tax. You still pay on the difference. Can sell more than one also.

I went to the dealer I use today. Wasn't a new one but a trade in from someone I knew. They got it last Friday and I stopped in and drove it but the owner was out for the afternoon. Went in today and 20 minutes later walked out owning it.
Fairly simple.

Thanks everyone for the tips and the advice. I will probably wait a little while and see if they have more pressure to deal a little later. I talked to Don Vance dealership today. He had about the 4th best offer I have had so far. I went to several dealers and got their best price on an outright buy. A few days later, I went back with a vehicle to trade in so I would know exactly what they were offering for mine. There are a few big dealers around here that I gave up going to a long time ago. They aren't going to do any dealing and also carry very few farm or work vehicles. Smaller rural dealers give the best opportunity around here. There are alot of Dodge and Ford trucks on the lots, but almost no Chevy trucks. So, the Chevy dealers aren't coming down hardly any because they say they have to order or trade for one and no one has one like I want for them to trade for. Thanks again and I will let you know when I do something or if I have more questions.

Sd1030":2dj1pujf said:
Hg the place your talking bout is in my neck of the woods, been over there in the past looking at some used stuff. They flat move some trucks through there, howd you find it?

I shop on the Internet, I sent about 30 Emails out to different dealers. All I was asking for is their best price out the door on the truck that I wanted. Most of the dealers wouldn't even send me a quote, because car dealers are thieves.

I haven't bought myself anything brand new since 2005. Worse money a man can spend.
Advice on buying vehicles.
You buy yourself used practical vehicles that will do the job you need to do
You buy your daughter the most reliable, safest vehicle you can afford.
You buy your son a piece of chit, that has to be worked on every 100 miles.
You buy your wife whatever the he// she wants.

i get what they want for the truck and then i take 15% or 20% off that price.then tell them thats where we start talking.in 2010 as a joke i priced a stripped down auto cab chassie 1 ton with the big v8 motor for $25000.and i really wasnt squeezing the dealer because i was doing it for fun.

fenceman":30ydkp2z said:
I haven't bought myself anything brand new since 2005. Worse money a man can spend.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :clap:

X2 I personally hate losing 10 grand pulling off the lot and touching the street.

skyhightree1":35x8kjzi said:
fenceman":35x8kjzi said:

X2 I personally hate losing 10 grand pulling off the lot and touching the street.

X3 :nod: The first and last new vehicle I ever bought was in 2012. Don't intend to buy new ever again.

fenceman":3f42je1f said:
I've done it every way, new, used, a good used one for a good truck and a real used one for work.
Best use and least money for the way I drive and use one and have to have one with no problems is a new one every two years and just running one.

As far as daughter, yeah, she is ging to be in one I can count on. Someone else on the farm might have to do without.
As far as sons. Mine are 8 and 10 but they will get spotted one truck each and it might be worth 3,000 if they are on a good year.

skyhightree1":209uplr6 said:
fenceman":209uplr6 said:

It's apparent y'all don't know where or how to buy new trucks. I buy a new truck every 2-3 years, and it cost me about $500. a month in total expenses. That includes my insurance and maintenance, everything but fuel. To me it's the only way that makes sense. But for someone that doesn't travel much and stays close to home, they maybe better off buying used. IDK

highgrit":2zki28ld said:
skyhightree1":2zki28ld said:
fenceman":2zki28ld said:

It's apparent y'all don't know where or how to buy new trucks. I buy a new truck every 2-3 years, and it cost me about $500. a month in total expenses. That includes my insurance and maintenance, everything but fuel. To me it's the only way that makes sense. But for someone that doesn't travel much and stays close to home, they maybe better off buying used. IDK

I've got one I bought at a auction. Came of capital livestock in Schwertner.
Paid 3200 for it . Pulled the gas tank and cleaned out the 2 inches of sand. We drove it over 100000 miles pulling a trailer most of it.
PLUS I SAVED A TON ON TAXES. ;-)
100000 miles for 3200 is pretty good I think.
Course I'm not the financial genius you are highgrit

Best pickup purchase I ever made was at an annual consignment auction put on by a local sale barn. This was in 1996. I bought a 1982 Chev C20, 350/4peed plain jane pickup. Originally purchased as an electric utility pickup with a utility box, the pickup body was blue and the pickup box that replaced the utility body was gray :oops:
I would be the 3rd owner.

Pickup had 117K when I got it. Turned out to be one of my best rigs ever. Just kept going and going. Did a lot of trailer pulling and water hauling with it. Never a major mechanical problem. Never touched the engine/clutch/trans. Only replaced tires, exhaust, shocks, starters, alternators, batteries, and other normal maintenance stuff over the years. Paid $1600 for it in 1996. Donated the pickup 70K miles later in 2014 to a medical fundraiser auction where it brought $600.

Replaced the 1982 Chevy with a 2000 Dodge 2500 V10 from the SDDOT fleet at a state surplus auction. The Dodge already can't match the Chevy for mechanical reliabilty. Was mostly my fault but I had to do a $2400 auto trans OH on the Dodge not long after I got it :oops: Had to fix the AC too which is one of my reasons for upgrading was I wanted a pickup with AC. Seem to have the bugs worked out, now if the Dodge lasts me 18 yrs like the Chevy did that will suit me just fine ;-)

Paid 3200 for it . Pulled the gas tank and cleaned out the 2 inches of sand. We drove it over 100000 miles pulling a trailer most of it.
Course I'm not the financial genius you are highgrit[/quote]

Your given me way to much credit. But my best deal is sitting outside my back door. It's a 1992 F250 XLT super cab, heavy duty with a diesel. I bought it brand new fully loaded for $18k, and I still drive it all the time. The truck has 430,000 miles on it and I know I haven't spent $5,000. on it in total repairs.
Fenceman, how did you save a ton on taxes? I'm very curious to this, because everything I do is tax driven.

highgrit":3w441j1q said:

I don't generally buy just one truck if all I had to worry about was buying one new truck maybe I would do that. I generally will upgrade my business trucks and get wife whatever she wants. buying one new vs a small fleet is a big difference. It sickens me as I said before driving off the lot losing 10 grand that I could have kept in my pocket and allocated towards something else. Now think about driving off the lot with lets say 10 new vehicles thats 100k My pockets cant stand it. I do believe in buying new chippers and stump grinders.

Sky, we're not all in the boat, is what I was implying. I buy mostly used equipment because I don't worry about it breaking down, it's not how I my living. And if a piece of equipment does break down, I don't have far to walk.

highgrit":2epu5bjh said:
Sky, we're not all in the boat, is what I was implying. I buy mostly used equipment because I don't worry about it breaking down, it's not how I my living. And if a piece of equipment does break down, I don't have far to walk.

I know im just saying some of my reasoning... Heck if my stuff breaks down my fat A.. needs to walk anyway :lol:

highgrit":29g3r59i said:
Course I'm not the financial genius you are highgrit

Your given me way to much credit. But my best deal is sitting outside my back door. It's a 1992 F250 XLT super cab, heavy duty with a diesel. I bought it brand new fully loaded for $18k, and I still drive it all the time. The truck has 430,000 miles on it and I know I haven't spent $5,000. on it in total repairs.
Fenceman, how did you save a ton on taxes? I'm very curious to this, because everything I do is tax driven.[/quote]

I paid taxes on 3200 to drive 100"000 versus taxes on 32000,
Maybe a ton was a exaggeration. I've been talking to cb to much. ;-) :hide:

I've been broke down as much in vehicles with less than 10000 as I have in vehicles with over 100000.
Bought a brand new f350 in 2001 with 120 miles on it it overheats. I pulled over open the hood, start looking .lower radiator hose is off. Dam truck didn't have a single hose clamp anywhere on it.

highgrit":3tqjl6h0 said:
Fenceman, it must of been built on a Monday or Friday.
I did a very short stint as a auto mechanic.
I worked for firestone around 1990 to 1991.The corrupt nature of the business drove me off.
We had a lady bring in a new Cadillac. She had gave up on the dealership after weeks of trying to find a.mysterious clunk. When you pushed the break to stop..clunk. When you took off again clunk. After a couple of days of looking for this clunk. I raised the car up on the lift for the umpteenth time, look up and their it is.
Through on of those holes in the frame I can see the glass coke bottle. When you stop it slides to the front...clunk. When you take off it slides to the back ...clunk. The only way the bottle could have gotten there is before the body was bolted on. I broke it with a prybar to remove it...Monday or Friday?? ;-) :cboy:

Fm I am sure you can appreciate this... here you have state inspections and lets just say every vehicle that was being inspected had a 10 dollar headlight alignment that was needed that was a big racket and still is. FM I took 2 years of automotive at a tech center in high school. I use to always watch shadetree mechanic when the show came on saturdays.

Latest posts