New Ford Maverick at a bare-bones price....

Help Support CattleToday:

Also the earth is spinning faster and we better hope it does not come unglued. June 29, 2022 came to an end 1.59 milliseconds sooner than expected.

I don't understand.
You say in 8-12 months auto dealers will be stuck with inventory and need to cut deals to move inventory.
I say that's not what sale projections say, and there is pent up demand. In addition there's still the possibility of supply disruption to hinder vehicle manufacturing.

Maybe... GM for one is projecting records sales, led by huge increases in commercial truck sales and leases. As long as Pelosi's visit to Taiwan does nothing to disrupt computer chip production/distribution.
It would be nice if we pulled our heads out and began to make our own chips instead of relying on foreign sources.

I don't understand.
You say in 8-12 months auto dealers will be stuck with inventory and need to cut deals to move inventory.
I say that's not what sale projections say, and there is pent up demand. In addition there's still the possibility of supply disruption to hinder vehicle manufacturing.
With consumer debt at an all time high, record inflation, rising interest rates, used car lots loaded, sooner or latter before long we will have another banking crisis. I will agree with you on the supply side, but iffy on the demand. We have had two quarters of negative growth which by most economist we are headed for a recession. With rising interest rate servicing the National Debt will take a drain down also.

A lot going on right now and nobody knows exactly were we are headed. Low inventory on new vehicles and supplies are the blame game so we will see.

I still say a year from now I can get a big rebate on a new vehicle.

Last edited:
Looks like that would be OK for a trip to the grocery store or doctor. A lower cost alternative to a Honda "pickup truck", I guess.
But for a cowboy/farmer? 4.5 foot bed? Whatcha gonna haul in 4.5 feet? Maybe bucket calves. But those generally go in the back seat unless you are hauling more than four.

The original Ford Maverick was an upgraded Ford Pinto, not a truck. Anybody remember those? And it says that is a hybrid. F1? Heterosis? EPD's? 2-way electric and gas? Stabilized? All these fancy terms have me confused.

Y'all must have different highways if you use cruise control. Here they are not straight or flat and you would kill chickens or dogs or goats if you tried to use cruise control. Maybe good for vacation, but farmers generally don't participate in those.

Power windows, locks, mirrors. Use to be that we only worried about power as far as having enough to get up the next hill without losing vacuum on the windshield wipers. And air conditioning was manual as well - roll down the window. Ain't no green in air conditioning, but sure does feel good in the heat.

You guys are getting soft with all these add-ons. And then "they" say that our economic condition is worse now than in the old days.
My first car was a 1974, competition orange Maverick Grabber with a 302. Mavericks were the replacement for the Comet.

The Maverick would be nice to replace a beater work car. At least you can put a little bit of stuff in the bed. I've got 2 friends that have them. 1 is a bare bones and 1 is fanciest they make. They both seem happy with them, I can't get past the looks. Lol

I always bought my trucks with manual locking hub, manual transfer case shift, rubber mats, and roll up windows when I could find them. I would take power mirrors if the truck had them but not many did configured the way I liked them. When I sold my 2003 F350 and my big trailer in June , I found a 1997 single cab, 4wd, F350 with the 7.3. It only had 86,000 miles on it. Manual hubs and manual transfer case, but it is an XLT, so it had the power windows, locks and mirrors. I only kept my 24' aluminum stock combo with 4' tack room, because I am done training horses. The last ones went back to their owners last month. I just kept 2 of my own, so that's all the trailer I will need. If I do anymore cattle trading, I will get them hauled. I am, or was, planning on getting totally out of the cow business, but some of the prices I am seeing gets me wanting to jump back in! 6 by-passes 2 weeks ago, though, is gonna pretty much force me to act my age! This truck ought to last me the rest of my days. I just need it to haul my horses to ropings and pennings, my grandkids to the horse shows, and my bass boat. I bought the ole lady a Ford Escape back in January, and hell, I can't hardly drive it. Had a hell of a time figuring out how to cut the lights and wipers on. Still can't see how to set the heat and air unless I put on reading glasses and lean down to adjust it before I drive off. Damned thing doesn't have a gas cap, has all WD that runs me nuts, and the ABS module has went out twice. Last time it took the dealership 5 weeks to find one. I hate most anything 10 years old or newer. I am just too old for modern technology!

No they weren't.
Sorry, my mistake. It was to replace the Falcon. The Ford Maverick is a compact car manufactured and marketed by Ford for model years 1970–1977 in the United States, originally as a two-door sedan employing a rear-wheel drive platform original to the 1960 Falcon — and subsequently as a four-door sedan on the same platform. It damn sure wasn't an "upgraded Ford Pinto", since Pintos went on the market a year later in 1971.

Sorry, my mistake. It was to replace the Falcon. The Ford Maverick is a compact car manufactured and marketed by Ford for model years 1970–1977 in the United States, originally as a two-door sedan employing a rear-wheel drive platform original to the 1960 Falcon — and subsequently as a four-door sedan on the same platform. It damn sure wasn't an "upgraded Ford Pinto", since Pintos went on the market a year later in 1971.
The Maverick was Ford's version of the Mercury Comet.

I'm also of the opinion that we are going into a recession and that consumers are extended both by the numbers and psychologically after covid atimuli.

I like the Maverick which is surprising because I, like Warren, prefer manual everything. But the appeal is that I get a side by side like truck. I also hate the size and height of new trucks.

I think the economy is headed for a recession and a big turn down also. Problem is I can't find any evidence of it in real life. Stores are still packed and everyones buying stuff. Restraunt lines are still long too. My wife needs a new car worse than she ever has and even at sticker price or above we can't find her a new or used Toyota Camry in white of all colors. Gas is through the roof but sales hasn't slowed and roads are busier than ever. Also consumer CC debt is at a low. I just don't understand it. Maybe interest rates will slow things some. 🤔

I think the economy is headed for a recession and a big turn down also. Problem is I can't find any evidence of it in real life. Stores are still packed and everyones buying stuff. Restraunt lines are still long too. My wife needs a new car worse than she ever has and even at sticker price or above we can't find her a new or used Toyota Camry in white of all colors. Gas is through the roof but sales hasn't slowed and roads are busier than ever. Also consumer CC debt is at a low. I just don't understand it. Maybe interest rates will slow things some. 🤔
stagflation.
Prices rise, wages rise to match so spending continues as before price increases but the economy itself (GDP) doesn't grow. Personal also debt plays a big part of the spend aspect of it. . An ever upward earn/spend spiral until collapse comes. 70s were stagflation years but without the easy personal debt we see today. In today's world of easy borrowing (credit card debt) debt takes the place of high unemployment usually associated with stagflation..

Seems like I remember someone driving a D50 Dodge or a VW pickup. What ever happened to it?
The VW has been gone for years. I still have my dads old 1987 4WD D-50 Power Ram. I have about replaced everything on it, but still works good. Sam likes laying under it.(how he gets under there I don't know as he is a big dog) It does get 23mpg and goes good in the snow as I very seldom drive it, but to haul off garbage.

zlVKZEx.jpg

V35bfOu.jpg

Last edited:
Actually, the Comet was 1st manufactured 1962-1969. These were the same as the Ford Falcon, then the Ford Fairlane later. In 1971, it was re-introduced based on the Maverick, which entered the market a year earlier, 1970.
Yes, I was referring to the years in which the two were produced concurrently. Maverick was to Comet what Mustang was to Cougar.

Latest posts