new Calf rear legs stopped working

Help Support CattleToday:

DEPAUW

Reaction score
First time Heifer delivered 70# calf with some assist from son and myself at 11:30PM Sat 1/2/10.
Calf was doing fine that night and through the second night. This morning 1/4/10 found the calf
had stuck itself under the gate for the pen used for birthing. When he was removed he was very cold
and his rear legs did not work. The out side temp. was 18F overnight. The calf used a bottle this morning
but does not want one now 4:00 PM. If I pull the hair on its leg near the hoof of either foot it will flinch
but otherwise will not move the legs. The question I have is will the cold do this or did the cow possibly
do this in the night. The calf is currently in a somewhat heated area since it was found this morning.

Hard to say...

...cow could have stepped on it or something
...calf could have gotten itself stuck and then cold

Calf temperature?
Calf disposition? [Eyes, ears perky or dull]
Scours/Diarrhea?

Has the calf been nursing which is why it doesn't want a bottle? If the answer is definitely no -- I would tube it (IF and only IF you know how to do this). If you don't know how, see how the calf does by itself -- you can pinch the skin and see how fast the skin goes back from tented to flat -- if the skin stays tented longer than a second the calf is getting dehydrated and needs to be rehydrated FAST!

I would give it 24 hours in the heat past when you got the little bugger unstuck and see how it does -- if it doesn't improve or seems to be on the rapid decline, then I would intervene with something recommended by your vet (whether it be a hard hitting anti-biotic or just some Bo-Se or something else)

The more information you can give, the better we can be of help - please keep us posted.

My old partner had one that fell thru a rotten culvert one day and since it was in the willows he didn't see it for two days. This was a 350lb calf and it stood in ice cold ditch water for 2 days. It's back legs NEVER worked again. They felt cold to the touch for the two weeks that he tried to keep him alive. He even hung him in a sling.

The only one who came out on that deal was the Vet, that crook pumped him full of crap and finally said well he never had much of a chance anyway. If those legs don't come back with maybe a shot of Banamine or something like it. Then dispatch him and count your losses. In the long run it will be cheaper.

Update: Calf finished 3pts. of milk/colostrum mix @8PM 1/4/10, the issue with the legs still the same.
7AM 1/5/10 calf again had a few pints But still not able to get up from the floor. calf looks fine
no scours yet probably because we also gave it scours med. I am still confused about its ability
to feel me manipulate its legs but is unable to use them. This med that was noted is it available
to the public? I will check out how it is used from the net. THANKS for the input.

Is there the possibility that it damaged it back (spine) trying to stand or get out from under the fence - neurological damage?

What you describe sounds like it did.

Banamine is a prescription med -- reduces inflammation and controls pain -- your vet may allow you to pick up 2 doses for the calf from his office (save you some $)

Bo-Se is also a prescription med -- Vitamin E and Selenium

Draxxin/Naxcel are prescription antibiotics if it's a viral thing

How is the calf's disposition -- perky and willing to fight? or giving up?

We had a calf with the same symptoms last year, we think it was tossed by one of the horses. Healthy and running around and when we looked a bit later she was down and the rear legs wouldn't move. Did just about everything we could do, including a sling, steroids, and trying to massage and stimulate some movement but it never happened over about 4 weeks. She did have some feeling and slight movement, but not enough to support her weight. It sounds like it may be some damage to the nerves/spine near the rear hips. In any case I would hang on for a week or so and if there is no improvement the chance is very slim that there will be a recovery.

Good luck...

I agree with Chippie-it seems like nerve damage. In that case I would treat with anti-inflam and cortisone. The cortisone will shrink swelling of the nerve and relieve pressure. The calf has got to be turned/rubbed to allow adequate blood supply (muscle atrophy aswell). I would get a 'pro' out for a definite diagnosis as something like this could be very costly in all senses.

Update: I called the Vet today and described what happened to the reception person and asked to get a prescription
for injectable Steroid med. Doc. was in surgery but gave the OK to pick up 3 doses. Using LA200 also. Calf has finished
off 1/2 gal. milk mix at 7PM. Calf has a lot of energy but I feel that the previous post of continued problem after 4 weeks
is my probable outcome, but each loss affects an already slim profit line. Last year zero death loss, so a good year.

Each loss does affect the slim profit line, but so does prologing the suffering. Cost of meds that too eats into profits. The time that could be devoted to another animal that will make it. Will it gain enough and be good enough to be sold? Will it make freezer beef? The cost to feed if the mother can not feed it since it might be lame and not able to go out on pasture, etc. It all has to be costed. I would follow the vet's advice on this course of treatment. You should start to see improvement while treating. If not there is your answer. If you do see improvement it is up to you to evaluate how much improvement will be gained by continiuing to treat. If it is a good improvement...a couple more days of treating. If it is really slow...your choice. Alway evaluate each course (how ever long that course is...3d, 5d, 7d or 10 and 14d) and make your decision from there. Some times we make wrong decisions, and sometimes we make real good ones.

By the way, colostrum is no good past 24 hours of birth. Just tossing money out the back end of the calf. Best if gotten in the first two hours. Absorbtion of the IGg (imugloblins) decreases every hour.

I agree with you rockridge, the cost of the steroids was 23USD, LA200 is always around so I don't factor it in on this. The colostrum that was used was to finish off the packet though like you say without much benefit. We have never had a calf with this issue but in the decades of doing this we have seen many things go either way. A decision will be made very soon. Thanks.

Probably should be grateful for even "slim" profits at the moment. You must not be running angus.

Latest posts