new bull

Help Support CattleToday:

shawn

Reaction score
2 months into the new home,4th day with a new bull and he's already jumped the fence ....HAPPY THANKS GIVING TO THE THE NEW NEIGHBOR..... who's daughters only cow is a new heifer that they're waiting until January to breed is now being bred....so I thought I throw that out to all the new longhorn breeders like me.

so if you want to poke fun or give sugestions be my guest.

God Bless and have a great Thanksgiving
P.S. the neighbor is understanding and I'm fixing the fence :lol:

Welcome to the cattle business and welcome to the boards. The last couple of years I've kept my bulls down at my Dad's place. Funny how time makes you forget things. I was a pretty athletic kid and I owe alot of that to the miles and miles of jogging I did as a kid putting cattle into the fence that had somehow gotten out. Not much for fences my Dad. now, if I had stopped and thought about that as an adult, I probably would have realized that Dad's fencing abbility hasn't really improved much with age. Last year my Simm-Angus bull got in with the neighbors purebred Simmental cows. Five miles away. It was a devil of a job trying tp get him out of there as there must be a special technique to loading out of that pasture that I don't know about as I waded through the creek a few times before we finally tricked him onto the truck with one of the cows and a pail of grain. This spring when I brought my new bull home, I was much wiser. Phoned and made sure that fence was ready to go. I bet I wasn't there ten minutes before the bull was out so after about two hours of chasing him around the yard through the mud in wet cowboy boots which left my feet terribly blistered, we finally locked him in the barn with a corral panel. Also, during the foray, I managed to catch a tree branch right above the eye which bled pretty good for awhile and left a pretty good scar. Sat down and had a few whiskeys to ease the pain. He was out by the next morning. Twice in the next couple months, he wandered away and we had a heck of a time bringing him back. Took two ATV's and a truck to turn him around. the first time he was three miles away, the second time, five miles. This year I've got five strands of high tensile (3 live and 2 ground) mounted on railway ties placed every 8' on a 200' x 400' pen. Lets see if he can get out of that. Good Luck with your new bull.

Ughh.... this brings up bad memories. We recently changed out bulls. The last one was very tame and stayed in the pasture. Never tried to get out. The new one.... He was ok for a few weeks, and then he started to get out. He got into a neighboring ranchers herd several times. About the only good thing is he was very gentle and loved range cubes, so you could just bring a bucket of cubes out and he would follow you like a dog.

After a while we decided that obviously our fence wasn't strong enough to hold him and were going to call the person we got him from to take him back. The next morning before we could call, the guy we got the bull from called and told us that the bull had found it's way home on it's own. It was only about a mile, tops.

All of the cows are bred or should be anyhow, so we decided to let him keep the bull and we would see about another bull once the cows calved.

Funny thing is, that bull was more like a dog. Whenever his previous owner would drive by, the bull would run along the fence by the road bawling up a storm. Obviously he missed home. :eek:

shawn":1w0pzuue said:
P.S. the neighbor is understanding and I'm fixing the fence :lol:
Welcome to the CT Boards. It's great to have good neighbors. In fact, it's almost priceless. Be sure that you're a good neighbor and not only fix the fence---you provide the lute to take care of that girl's heifer.

Another item to add to my "be thankfull" list...mellow bull. Of course, last year he ran with the cows as soon as we brought him in and got it out of his system...we'll see this spring, probably sooner as we have heifers that should start cycling anytime now, just how mellow he remains. He may have to spend some time visiting the neighbor's steers until the air clears. Hope your's calms down but jumpers tend to keep jumping...thought about some extra runs of hot wire?
DMc

If you want to try and keep the bull, I'd string a hot wire the same time you're fixing the fence. They are very hard to keep home once they know they can jump the fence.

Welcome to the boards!