Introducing New bull to old bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

CowboyRam

Reaction score
Are there any strategies for introducing new bull to old bulls. I was thinking I could put some kerosine on them so they all smell the same, and then keep them in different pens until I put them in with the cows.

Be more specific on new vs. old. Introducing a yearling to an older bull is rarely a problem (in my experience). Some people swear by kerosine or vinegar, but I've never tried it.
I like idea of vinegar, I have that on hand; the vinegar would not be as toxic as the kerosine. I have two bulls that grew up together that are around six year old, and the new bull I bought last March he is coming four. I just don't want my two other bulls to gang up on him and kill him.

I like idea of vinegar, I have that on hand; the vinegar would not be as toxic as the kerosine. I have two bulls that grew up together that are around six year old, and the new bull I bought last March he is coming four. I just don't want my two other bulls to gang up on him and kill him.
I really doubt six yr old bulls would do that. Our older bulls usually avoid confrontations if they have room to. The key is giving them some space.

I think it is going to be tricky, it is hard to get them apart if things get bad without getting killed yourself. If you put them together start in the middle of the paddock to give your fences half a chance.

Ken

Stock contractors keep numerous bulls in the same pasture, with no problems as long as there are no cows within sight, sound or smell of them. New bulls are added to the string all the time, and there maybe some jostling for a spell, til they get the new pecking order sorted out.

Last edited:
I agree with the others, introduce them out in a field with lots of space and no cows in sight. There is not much you can do if they pick a fight, they better have that 'argument' before you put them with the cows.

I really doubt six yr old bulls would do that. Our older bulls usually avoid confrontations if they have room to. The key is giving them some space.
We had 34 mature bulls in a feeding group this winter. Nearest cows were three miles away. Someone started a brawl one night and a good four year old was dead next morning.

Yes bulls break things. Sometimes it's each other. We keep 20 to 30 around here and it just is part of the deal. I do know that once they get about 4 yr old they retain ear tags far better because they fight less. They have to establish their pecking order so it's something we have to accept. Boys are going to be boys as that's what testosterone is for. Our bull pasture is 120 acres so we give them a little space.

We always try to introduce bulls to each other in the bull pasture with no cows around. They'll usually snort or fight a bit then get along fine. We had to buy another bull last week and they delivered him Friday. We really didn't have a choice but to dump him out in the wide open with the herd. He went straight to the cows to check them out then backed off when saw the other bulls. I'm really hoping he stays home. There's only so much you can do sometimes.

The plan is to get the two older bulls in on the 31st, get them all Trich tested, and semen tested. Then put the new bull in the pen next to the two older ones. The two older one have been with each other since the day of their birth. On the 6th of June everyone goes to the ranch.

One other thing we notice on bull behavior is how you can keep them together in a bull pasture for 9 months but go to turn them out and they'll start fighting like they never met.

The wife sent me a pic last week of two of our bulls fighting while a cow mounted another cow 50 feet behind them. What a couple knuckleheads.

One other thing we notice on bull behavior is how you can keep them together in a bull pasture for 9 months but go to turn them out and they'll start fighting like they never met.

The wife sent me a pic last week of two of our bulls fighting while a cow mounted another cow 50 feet behind them. What a couple knuckleheads.
Hell, now you just need a third one in there like a little dink buck that's smart enough to realize the breeding's best when everyone is busy fighting 🤣

Hell, now you just need a third one in there like a little dink buck that's smart enough to realize the breeding's best when everyone is busy fighting 🤣

Well....there was a third one but guess he was hemmed up elsewhere. Now we have 4.

I have always heard to keep an odd number of bulls though

Well....there was a third one but guess he was hemmed up elsewhere. Now we have 4.

I have always heard to keep an odd number of bulls though
Two is the most I've ever run, sometimes it's easier to have to rotate and have a longer calving season that it is to try and keep more bull than you have fence or probably more importantly neighbor's fence for. We had, at one time, a great big old simm bull and a traincar of a brangus bull that would rarely fight with each other, but by God they'd tear that damn fence slap down to go whoop up on the neighbor's bull and spread a little democracy to their cows. The brangus especially so, he'd just wake up of a day and decide it was azzwhoopin' season. I have no clue how far they can smell a cow, but my guess is far.

We've got a 20 acre bull pasture next to a county road. The pasture has 3 new fences and the one along road is decent at best. Across the county road is a hay meadow and the other 3 sides is my yearling pasture. We've never had a bull get out. The yearling heifers will stand on the fence row for days too. I hear allot about getting rid of cows that aren't bucket broke but for me it's bulls that get out. I won't keep one that tears down fences or won't stay home. I'll give them 3-4 chances then get rid of them.

I'll give them 3-4 chances then get rid of them.
That's many more chances then I would give. For us it's 'if you cross the river/creek you are owner of a one way ticket come fall'.
But who are we kidding, if not ourselves. If a bull wants to go he is gonna go, not much fence is going to hold him from doing so.