Neighbors bull is dead he's saying it my bull that done it.

Help Support CattleToday:

I agree with TN cattle man, good neighbors are hard to find and not worth burning a bridge over an animal. No matter how you look at it your bull has been getting on his property, your liable in this situation.

Neither God nor man has ever built a fence to keep a determined animal in or a determined lawyer out

In Texas, what would be done differs county to county and even sheriff to sheriff and judge to judge even within the same county, but the first thing they would ask is :
"Has there been a history of cattle getting out this fence before?"
Why?
Because most stock laws take into account that crap happens and the wording of the stock law says something like "anyone who knowingly allows their livestock to get out can be held liable". IOW, if you have a fence that history has shown not to be able to hold your animals in, or an animal that has a history of getting thru a fence--it's not going to go in your favor should it go to court. Better to work this out between you and your neighbor if at all possible, and it sounds like that is what you 2 are now doing.
Good luck with it.

Brute 23":3vkhvut7 said:
I'll bend over backwards for some but I will not pay for a bull in that situation.

To be honest I don't see how you could prove it in court.

I'm not in the business of buying friends either... women maybe.

Texas livestock law trumps all the BS.
GB said it and it applies it goes back to the condition of the fence here.
Also if you knowingly have a problem animal or fence.
The first time the bull got out he became aware of a problem.
I am always amazed by people that will share a fence without a legal agreement.
It is not worth the problems that comes with it.
I do have one shared fence and it does have a legal agreement between both parties on file in the court house.
With all the BS that goes with cows in writing.
The fence is on my property not the property line. The other party keeps up the fence. This was to keep him from building a half mile a fence. It has worked like a charm so far, either party can break the agreement with one months notice, giving him a month to get a fence up.

To be honest I don't see how you could prove it in court.
It's called the preponderance of the evidence.
The evidence being:
The bull was seen there twice.
With no further evidence, that is the preponderance.

Why does he ask his own ins, Co if he has insurance?

the truth is no 1 knows what happened to the bull.yes bulls can kill eachother.but i doubt that happened.it sounds like the bull layed down on uneven ground.thus getting his feet out from under him an bloating.

Maybe instead of buying the guy a new $xx,xxx bull, he offers to pay to have his cow herd AId to a solid bull up to two services (so, if the first AI doesn't take, then the cow would get a second shot at AI 21 days later)? And then, maybe the OPs new bull (assuming he gets rid of the current one) could catch any opens?

Again, just a brainstorm to try to make everyone happy w/o anyone getting set back a mile financially.

salebarn junkie":3a29we49 said:
If you don't pay next time your bull jumps the fence he might get shot

Serious question. Is it ever okay to shoot a trespassing bull? Example: He is hostile to you, Fighting your bull, chasing your cows.

thanks in advance.

Ok latest update. The guy with the dead bull is under the impression that his bull had the bloat for a couple days already. He just got his head downhill and couldn't get back up. I've sold the bull to a guy in the south part of the state he says he can handle him. Thanks for all the replies even the ones that was jumping the gun and trying to get me to spit out cash on a bull that died on his own.

Joepriest":12e1x4h2 said:
Ok latest update. The guy with the dead bull is under the impression that his bull had the bloat for a couple days already. He just got his head downhill and couldn't get back up. I've sold the bull to a guy in the south part of the state he says he can handle him. Thanks for all the replies even the ones that was jumping the gun and trying to get me to spit out cash on a bull that died on his own.
I'm pretty sure the ones suggesting that you pay for his bull were under the impression that you would determine with some certainty that the bull died during or due to the fight.

Brute 23":1k5a62tg said:
No. With the exception of it being aggressive and you having to defend yourself.

In Texas Brute is dead right that will get you a ride to the county jail every time.
You can't even do anything with it other than pen it. The Sheriff is the only one that
has any legal authority over an estray.

NCLiz 3":o6v4dkqc said:
Besides this problem, you have another problem you should deal with.
And that is having a fence that will hold your animals.
In my world, all perimeter fences are and should be 6 ft posts, no more than 10 ft apart and at least 6 strands of barbwire.
Then apply this rule:
If any animal goes over or through it, SHOOT THE SOB to take it out of the gene pool.
Liz
You've never delt with Brahmans then? If had the cows go through a fence like that just because they want to be on the other side in a plowed up field. One strand hot wire is the only thing that will get them respecting the fence again.

You've never delt with Brahmans then?
True!
But that is why I selected Angus as my breed of choice.
If 6 strands of barbwire won't hold them, to me, they are history.
If Brahmans are that hard to control, I dang sure don't want them in my area of the country.
Liz

NCLiz 3":1jh25slr said:
True!
If Brahmans are that hard to control, I dang sure don't want them in my area of the country.
Liz

They all do it... it's not a breed thing. I worked for a guy who sold pure blood Black Angus and his main herd bull destroyed every thing in sight. You just followed the trail of destroyed fence and gates to him when he went missing. I ended up doing a major hot wire project that kept the bull in. Kind of looked like the one on Jurassic Park and if it went down the same thing would happen.

Brute 23":3o8v9cje said:
NCLiz 3":3o8v9cje said:
True!
Liz

They all do it... it's not a breed thing. I worked for a guy who sold pure blood Black Angus and his main herd bull destroyed every thing in sight. You just followed the trail of destroyed fence and gates to him when he went missing. I ended up doing a major hot wire project that kept the bull in. Kind of looked like the one on Jurassic Park and if it went down the same thing would happen.

Yep you got that right again Brute. I have an Angus and the only thing that keeps in check it two hot wire on the fence.
Bulls fight, fornicate, beller and dig holes. Doesn't matter the breed if they can touch noses and blow snot on each other there
is going to be a fight.

If Sir Liz actually ever owned any cattle he would "get it". Liz, you have mentioned "person-ability" on this board several times. So, when can I get a tour of your place and meet you in person? Seriously.........

Joepriest":8v6v42u9 said:
I doubt you sold a Dead Bull to a guy in South Texas.........what are you really trying to tell all of us? We aint jumping a gun that you did not pull the trigger on fellow....l

Brute 23":2aspw1xl said:
Maybe you need to send him a Hallmark card that says

Welcome to the Cattle Business
Shoot Happens
Suck it up
When your tears have dried call me and we will talk about the fence :tiphat:

I have a neighbor with brute 23 same outlook he thinks his big time Hereford herd. His bull came through a six strand fence 3 times the last time he left it for four days before he came and got it. He joked that he was doing me a Faver , improving my cattle. I didn't get mad I bought a year and half beef master cross bull made a hole in the fence unloaded the trailer against the fence. My neighbor doesn't talk to me anymore but he did put up a hot wire his bull hasn't been back.

Joepriest":260yw4n1 said:

Joe, I'm sorry all this happened. It sounds to me like you have a level headed neighbor. He did the right thing but so did you. I have to agree with most everyone else that you needed to sale your bull even if he didn't kill the neighbors bull. I hope you both get through this as better neighbors than you were before it happened. It's a lot better being friends with your neighbor than being enemies.

Latest posts