Neighbors bull is dead he's saying it my bull that done it.

Help Support CattleToday:

Joepriest

Reaction score
Me and a neighbor share a fence, he has a bull and cows on his side and I have some on mine. My bull jumped the fence a few days ago and got in with his we got him out fixed the fence and a week later he does it again. I called the neighbor and told him that I will get him out ASAP and low and behold I get a text from him saying his bull is dead. No one seen them fighting. I went over and looked at his bull and he looks to have been dead for a while due to him being cold. My question is what should I do seeing that we don't know the cause of the bulls death. I think he has a vet on the way out to have a look.

Well, you are liable for what ever damage that your bull has caused. Whether for the death of his bull, or from breeding his cows. (If he had a registered herd, and didn't want them bred by your bull.) Hopefully the vet can still determine the cause of death. May not be good (for you) if it is from an injury..... :( I wish you luck.

He doesn't have any registered stock. The bull was a angus but his cows are all crossbreed. Still waiting on the vet to come take a look.

Not that it makes any difference, but curious..
What breed is your bull?
Horned?
Age of each?

This fence you 2 share--who does it belong to?

Not sure of his bulls age but I would guess about the same as mine 3 years old. They are both angus.

If the bulls are somewhat equal in size there should be a pretty good sized area of torn up ground from them fighting. Also if it was caused by fighting there should be a bunch of bruising under the hide and internal bleeding. The vet would be able to determine that when he does a post mortem on his bull.

All depends what kind of relations you want to have with your neighbor from here on out.

Regardless of what the vet says, I'd say you owe your neighbor a new bull, otherwise there is likely to be hard feelings in the future.

Sounds like your bull needs to go and use the money to buy the neighbor a new one. Then you need to do some fencing. :2cents:

I agree that if the his bull killed the neighbor's he should pay, but I've never actually heard of one bull killing another one. I suppose if one of them has horns it's more likely, but even then I'd think it would be unusual. It's been my experience that they'll fight until one of them wins, the loser quits fighting, and that's the end of it. Has anyone had different experiences?

I believe in being a good neighbor but I'd definitely want to see a post-mortem from a vet saying he died from fighting before I pulled out my checkbook.

I know one guy that sells bulls. he had bought a new red angus bull & his neighbors bull got in & killed it. he made him pay for it. I had a santa-gertrudis bull & bought an angus- gert cross, who was fighting machine. he had my gert bull out flat on the ground still beating him when I came one the scene

Rafter S":3qokv8u0 said:
I agree that if the his bull killed the neighbor's he should pay, but I've never actually heard of one bull killing another one. I suppose if one of them has horns it's more likely, but even then I'd think it would be unusual. It's been my experience that they'll fight until one of them wins, the loser quits fighting, and that's the end of it. Has anyone had different experiences?

I believe in being a good neighbor but I'd definitely want to see a post-mortem from a vet saying he died from fighting before I pulled out my checkbook.

I've had one bull kill another by fighting until one collapsed and then pushing the other bull until he was on his back. That bull was good with people, but absolutely miserable with bulls that even had 600 lbs on him. Fight, fight, fight.

If blood is drawn in the heat of battle, it's a 50/50 guess as to what will happen. Sometimes the winning bull will back off, and sometimes he will move in for the kill.

Two bulls that are evenly matched will fight to the death. Usually one will drop from exhaustion and ore a heart attack.
If they are not evenly matched, the weaker one will run away.
Liz
PS Don't forget to pay him the vet bill also.

While we're waiting for the vet, we need to make a timeline.

Did this latest incident happen today?

This time when your bull got out, did the neighbor call you about him being in with his cows or did you see him yourself? What time was that, and was his bull still alive at that time?

What time then did you get a text saying his bull was dead?

What time did you go over and see his dead bull that was cold?

The other guy and myself walked out to take a look to see if we could figure out what truly did happen. His bull ( dead one ) was on a steep hillside with his head down hill. I didn't see a lot of disturbed earth around the bull other than where his legs are. He said he didn't want to go through the trouble of having a vet come out. I thought he had one on the way. I called one and he said he didn't do that and good luck finding one in out neck of the woods that would. The owner of the dead bull said he's not sure what happened. He thinks that it could have slipped in the mud and fell with his head down hill and just couldn't get back up. We felt around and moved his legs didn't feel like they was broke or anything. I'm willing to do what's right by all means.

djinwa":300vpo91 said:

This time when your bull got out, did the neighbor call you about him being in with his cows or did you see him yourself? What time was that, and was his bull still alive at that time?

I seen the bull on my side this morning, the other guy said he saw his bull at 11 am this morning. I went over and seen his bull at 4 this afternoon. It was cold and bloated when I seen it at 4 pm.

Joepriest":23q3ukrs said:
djinwa":23q3ukrs said:

I seen the bull on my side this morning, the other guy said he saw his bull at 11 am this morning. I went over and seen his bull at 4 this afternoon. It was cold and bloated when I seen it at 4 pm. So my bull had to cross the fence after 8 am when I last saw him on my side and he found his bull dead at 4 pm same day.

Latest posts