Neighbor’s bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I grew up, every house had a pen of beagles, and a coon dog on a chain. Sometimes you chained your pair f bird dogs, and sometimes they;d be penned, depending on how many pens you had. We were far enough off the road, that I let the bird dogs just hang under the porch. I have seen 4 and 5 figure coon dogs on a chain, and they were as heaalthy as any that might be penned. Nothing cruel or abusive in chaining a dog. Chaining one with no fooed, water or shelter is another story.
And chained 24/7 without ever being let loose is abusive. What a terrible life.
I'm sure your hounds weren't chained 24/7.

We had a similar situation where I tried to help a neighbor by giving him some round bales for a couple of starving milk cows, and yes, I know they are naturally thinner! He than sold the bales for cash and left the cows starving. Lesson learned. Got the county sheriff's ear and within a couple of days he went to court and then got custody of the cows by court order. Sounds like your guys just don't want to do their job, you can access state laws to see what your state allows. Asked me to foster them..no problem. Gave my neighbor a couple of gallons of milk a week for the kids, but never gave him the cows back. End of their life span they were sent to the processor... BEST DAMN BEEF I EVER HAD! (and yes, I gave some beef to the neighbor so the kids wouldn't go hungry)

YOU are the one who has to live with your conscience and the consequences of you actions, so only you can decide what's right.

PS. Sounds like the rich guy has a lazy or less than knowledgeable foreman and trusts him far too much.
Glad I don't have neighbors like you.

So how much time on a chain is acceptable. Who gets to decide that, you? Is a kennel acceptable? How big?
Should the dogs be allowed to run free instead of being caged. I've seen lots of three legged dogs. According to most of your post above on the limping bull all of them should have been euthanized. It's a slippery slope when we start minding each other's business. Especially business that does not effect you and is based on opinion.

What about the obvious dangers of being used to hunt coons. Everyone knows how rank a coon can be. Well know for drowning dogs. Drowning is a terrible way to die so shouldn't coon hunting with dogs be considered cruel.
It's no doubt more dangerous than being on a chain.

Because I Actually LIVED THERE I happen to know the sheriffs were involved, nothing was done, after several days the horse was found dead of a gunshot wound to the head. The carcass had been dragged away not left to decompose by the side of the road. People who went and looked at it told me it had been shot, twice.

What ever happened to the OPs crippled bull?

Because I Actually LIVED THERE I happen to know the sheriffs were involved, nothing was done, after several days the horse was found dead of a gunshot wound to the head. The carcass had been dragged away not left to decompose by the side of the road. People who went and looked at it told me it had been shot, twice.

I'm not to far from there and your just repeating what you heard someone else say. It's mostly wrong and it's exaggerated. As gossip usually is. Leo found no wrong doing except by the nosy people who trespassed. ..

None f the local large animal veterinarians, Jean and Helen Weishuhn and I knew them both, nor the Elgin Equine Veterinary Clinic would have agreed that leaving a down horse to die with no water wasn't cruel. And there was no reason for two working cowboys to lie about what they saw.

Some people have different ideas of what cruelty is or make excuses for it.

None f the local large animal veterinarians, Jean and Helen Weishuhn and I knew them both, nor the Elgin Equine Veterinary Clinic would have agreed that leaving a down horse to die with no water wasn't cruel. And there was no reason for two working cowboys to lie about what they saw.

Some people have different ideas of what cruelty it or make excuses for it.
The horse died just as most animals die of old age. It layed Down and died. It lived a very long life. We should all be so lucky.
Would I have shot it. Yes if it was my horse. The man that owns it gets to make that choice.

So how much time on a chain is acceptable. Who gets to decide that, you? Is a kennel acceptable? How big?
Should the dogs be allowed to run free instead of being caged. I've seen lots of three legged dogs. According to most of your post above on the limping bull all of them should have been euthanized. It's a slippery slope when we start minding each other's business. Especially business that does not effect you and is based on opinion.

What about the obvious dangers of being used to hunt coons. Everyone knows how rank a coon can be. Well know for drowning dogs. Drowning is a terrible way to die so shouldn't coon hunting with dogs be considered cruel.
It's no doubt more dangerous than being on a chain.
It's the quality of life I'm talking about.
Hounds enjoy what they are BRED to do.
Sure, it's dangerous to hunt coons or coyotes or whatever, but that's not what we are discussing here. Dogs tied up 24/7 (notice I didn't say anything about being penned up) have no quality of life, except being fed whenever the owner decides to feed them. I'm really not sure why anyone wants a dog/cat/horse/cow if they don't want to take care of them properly. Maybe you know the answer, I don't.

It's the quality of life I'm talking about.
Hounds enjoy what they are BRED to do.
Sure, it's dangerous to hunt coons or coyotes or whatever, but that's not what we are discussing here. Dogs tied up 24/7 (notice I didn't say anything about being penned up) have no quality of life, except being fed whenever the owner decides to feed them. I'm really not sure why anyone wants a dog/cat/horse/cow if they don't want to take care of them properly. Maybe you know the answer, I don't.
So how long is it acceptable to tie up a dog?? And why would a cage be more humane than a chain?

Some people have different ideas of what cruelty is or make excuses for it.
My mothers death certificate says malignant melanoma as the cause of death, I know in reality she died of dehydration/starvation, this is our way of euthanasia and is dressed up a bit by calling it palliative care.
I have euthanased many animals in my time. Getting the time right is not easy, some are let drag on too long while others are done too early, more for the convenience of the owner.
I am not a fan of our RSPCA and would never donate to them. Our current welfare laws are over done and any complaint by the public perceiving wrong doing is investigated and their band of inspectors are like the Gestapo.
All I can suggest is if you have an animal for any reason that might attract attention, don't keep it centre stage in the front paddock.
Just back to the bull in question, who or how was the leg diagnosed as dislocated? As I said previously further discussion with the owner may help.

Ken

No, but they may stay on it except for a coon hunt Friday night or a quail hunt on Saturday. Doesn;t urt them at all. Huskies, <alamutes or other sed dogs live on a chain out in the open in 50 below weather, and doesn't hurt them either.

Couldn't see him today, so he either got hauled off, walked back with the rest of the herd or died.

My mothers death certificate says malignant melanoma as the cause of death, I know in reality she died of dehydration/starvation, this is our way of euthanasia and is dressed up a bit by calling it palliative care.
I have euthanased many animals in my time. Getting the time right is not easy, some are let drag on too long while others are done too early, more for the convenience of the owner.
I am not a fan of our RSPCA and would never donate to them. Our current welfare laws are over done and any complaint by the public perceiving wrong doing is investigated and their band of inspectors are like the Gestapo.
All I can suggest is if you have an animal for any reason that might attract attention, don't keep it centre stage in the front paddock.
Just back to the bull in question, who or how was the leg diagnosed as dislocated? As I said previously further discussion with the owner may help.

Ken
Bull in question-one leg noticeably longer than the other-hock bent at about a 90 degree angle, hanging about 10" lower than the hock on the good hind leg. Swollen/bulging about the point of where the stifle would normally be, mid-thigh (I assume femoral head?) non-functional regardless if it was dislocated or a mid-femoral fracture.

My opinion on the whole thing is this, Buy the Bull and shoot it, or Mind Your Own Business. I have a neighbor who accuses me of not feeding my calves, Everytime I wean calves... Even if they can't see them... Plus they think it's their business to inform me anytime they think I'm not caring properly for an animal. (They think they know Everything) and their dogs generally end up SSS dogs because they run loose and end up killing things, . And I have an Animal Lover neighbor who has starved Several young animals to death. But the neighbors who harp on me ignore them...

My opinion on the whole thing is this, Buy the Bull and shoot it, or Mind Your Own Business. I have a neighbor who accuses me of not feeding my calves, Everytime I wean calves... Even if they can't see them... Plus they think it's their business to inform me anytime they think I'm not caring properly for an animal. (They think they know Everything) and their dogs generally end up SSS dogs because they run loose and end up killing things, . And I have an Animal Lover neighbor who has starved Several young animals to death. But the neighbors who harp on me ignore them...
In general, I ignore everything about what he does with his cattle unless he has a calf on the road or an obvious new calf left behind when they change pastures. If I had the $ and facilities to change the situation, maybe I might, but I don't. The basic question was to ask how others handle similar situations, and if there was a logical reason to keep a gimpy, useless animal around longer than necessary.
I got my answer. Many say mind your own beeswax, others go to the other end of notification of every law agency known to man. Hadn't had the situation before, so I was doing a poll. I think I did what I would expect someone else to do for me if I were an absent owner, and dependent on hired help to take care of their stock. My reputation and how I care for my stock is a big part of my beef marketing. I wouldn't want my name to be ruined because someone didn't take care of an issue quickly. That's all I'll say about it. From what I know, the bull is gone. Problem ended.

SSS? What is SSS?

The people you describe sound like people I've met. One was a lady that was coming down the path as we hiked out of a trail, and because my dog was ahead of us and headed for the shade she jumped to the conclusion the dog was abandoned. Us not more than a hundred feet behind the dog. She was standing there talking to her trail companion (husband?) as we caught up and discussing taking the dog and how the poor thing needed water. When I told her the dog was ours she acted like I was lying. She seemed very ready to fight me over possession of our dog. I knew another one in the town closest to my ranch in SD that "found" dogs all the time and she would just load them up and take them. She was convinced that any loose dog was abandoned.

The man's ranch manager should have taken care of it. Thats their job, ranch managing.

SSS. Shoot Shovel and Shut up.

Its what country people say around here when protected wolf packs stray into our counties. Also used in Texas when you have to shoot a neighbor's dog caught in the act of chasing and killing livestock. You don't
want to tell anybody, it will start a feud that lasts 100 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts