Neighbor’s bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
SSS? What is SSS?

The people you describe sound like people I've met. One was a lady that was coming down the path as we hiked out of a trail, and because my dog was ahead of us and headed for the shade she jumped to the conclusion the dog was abandoned. Us not more than a hundred feet behind the dog. She was standing there talking to her trail companion (husband?) as we caught up and discussing taking the dog and how the poor thing needed water. When I told her the dog was ours she acted like I was lying. She seemed very ready to fight me over possession of our dog. I knew another one in the town closest to my ranch in SD that "found" dogs all the time and she would just load them up and take them. She was convinced that any loose dog was abandoned.
Shoot, Shovel & Shutup

sorry, but this reply does not reference the original post, but I thought it is appropriate to add it anyway. It is great to see all the opinions posted to this members post since that is what his goal was asking for. Unfortunately some members can not just reply with his/her opinion and just move on to other topics or continue to add useful information. Instead, some members feel the need to tell other members that their opinions are wrong because they don't agree with theirs'. For example; one member posted his opinion which was nice for him to do, but continued to post 18 more replies to tell other members that their opinions were completely worthless because it did not agree with his way of thinking. I may be wrong, but I tend to think the original member that posted the thread should decide which replies lean towards his/her way of thinking. just my opinion though.

Way too many mind your business types. An animal in obvious distress and youre supposed to look the other way. I must have missed that in basic animal husbandry.
I wish I could say that getting involved in helping Other people who neglect their animals actually helps them in the long run,. But just my personal Experience I tried helping people, by feeding Their starving horse's, ECT. And I found out Not only will they get mad at you, But they will also get their Inlaws involved and tell you what a horrible person you are, and the situation can get way out of hand in a hurry. So now I mind my own business. Unless it's a Child's life that's in danger, or a person's life. I take the best care of my Own animals I can. I don't want to advocate someone getting involved in someone else's business, (because I don't like people telling me I'm abusing my animals, when I'm not) and people can get their Inlaws so riled up at you, that I don't want to be responsible for someone getting physically hurt, (because I said Yes Get Involved) and they chose to.

Way too many mind your business types.
Way too many do gooders rush to judgement without knowing the facts.

OP said the rest of the owner's herd looks good, making the injured bull an isolated case. She also stated the owner is wealthy.
Who knows the pedigree or history of the bull? Perhaps the foreman, who is doing a good job with the rest of the herd, is hoping to collect semen (electroejaculation) from the bull before rushing to kill him.
The owner is paying a capable manager to make the decision, not the neighbors no matter how well meaning.

Last edited:

OP said the rest of the owner's herd looks good, making the injured bull an isolated case. She also stated the owner is wealthy.
Who knows the pedigree or history of the bull? Perhaps the foreman, who is doing a good job with the rest of the herd, is hoping to collect semen (electroejaculation) from the bull before rushing to kill him.
Thank you for bringing up that perspective. I didn't think about that, which is why I asked the original question.

I wish I could say that getting involved in helping Other people who neglect their animals actually helps them in the long run,. But just my personal Experience I tried helping people, by feeding Their starving horse's, ECT. And I found out Not only will they get mad at you, But they will also get their Inlaws involved and tell you what a horrible person you are, and the situation can get way out of hand in a hurry. So now I mind my own business. Unless it's a Child's life that's in danger, or a person's life. I take the best care of my Own animals I can. I don't want to advocate someone getting involved in someone else's business, (because I don't like people telling me I'm abusing my animals, when I'm not) and people can get their Inlaws so riled up at you, that I don't want to be responsible for someone getting physically hurt, (because I said Yes Get Involved) and they chose to.
Believe it or not, i understand completely where you are coming from and unfortunately some people are h*llbent on the mistreatment of animals.

The owner is paying a capable manager to make the decision, not the neighbors no matter how well meaning.
Since we're busy coming up with hypotheticals, the foreman is a meth addicted useless basket case who isnt worth all the equipment he breaks in a year, working for "rich" farmer who lives off of government welfare, ie subsidies.

hypothetical... the foreman is a meth addicted useless basket case who isn't worth all the equipment he breaks in a year,
All the information given suggests otherwise.
But that's the method of today's do gooding Karens, change the facts to fit their narrative as an excuse to butt in and 'rescue' or accuse for self gratification. Some people just want to see the worst in others.

Well apparently NOT!

Yeah, there's plenty of people with no experience with animals that'll say this or that is cruel, like saying the weaned calves are starving, or the husky dog out in the snow is freezing to death... Or a really old animal that looks skinny because it doesn't have much for teeth anymore.

The thing is, there's some things where it doesn't take a genius to know it's just wrong and things won't get better with benign neglect.. broken legs, prolapses, etc are going to kill the animal anyhow, just put your big boy panties on and put the animal down already, or get them the vet attention they need.. do one or the other and do it promptly, and I won't judge either way.
One of the best cattledogs I ever saw was a border collie missing a leg.. Whatever happened to it, it got vet attention in a timely manner...

Remember the post from WalnutCreek (I think?) that had the calf with frozen hooves? was a heck of a process and an expensive endeavor, but that's taking care of your animals

This spring I had a cow with a very badly malpositioned calf. nothing I could do to get it out, vet didnt' have time, even if I loaded her and brought her to him, butchers were busy, I just called it and dug a hole

. I knew another one in the town closest to my ranch in SD that "found" dogs all the time and she would just load them up and take them. She was convinced that any loose dog was abandoned.
Oh WOW. We lost our old dog several years ago on the back road from Whitewood to Sturgis.
My husband was only gone 10 minutes and our neighbors went out about 5 minutes after us. I was home and didn't know the dog had left. There was no sign of that dog. He was elderly and couldn't jump into a vehicle. We searched and searched and the girls across the road rode horseback looking for him. We called every vet, every dog and cat shelter, put up pictures of him. Nothing. It hurts to this day to wonder what happened to him. Could the lady you mentioned have picked him up? She would have had to have been right there and done it in 5 minutes time. Just to know would ease our minds, even yet.

Oh WOW. We lost our old dog several years ago on the back road from Whitewood to Sturgis.
My husband was only gone 10 minutes and our neighbors went out about 5 minutes after us. I was home and didn't know the dog had left. There was no sign of that dog. He was elderly and couldn't jump into a vehicle. We searched and searched and the girls across the road rode horseback looking for him. We called every vet, every dog and cat shelter, put up pictures of him. Nothing. It hurts to this day to wonder what happened to him. Could the lady you mentioned have picked him up? She would have had to have been right there and done it in 5 minutes time. Just to know would ease our minds, even yet.
Of course I don't know what happened to your dog... But I've also had dogs disappear. I tried to get the woman to see what she was doing, and that people were probably agonizing over their missing dogs, but she knew everything and was adamant. What can you do with people like that? They've lost the ability to think beyond their own perceptions.

All the information given suggests otherwise.
But that's the method of today's do gooding Karens, change the facts to fit their narrative...
Says the person who came up with a sappy story about it being a prized bull.
From the story or "evidence" suggest a neglectful owner and foreman. And the fact that the chorus of ppl telling the poster to shut up and mind their business when there seemed to be clearly an issue, shows there are too many here who, at best, enables this type of behavior.

If you're going to make that appeal, maybe try to remember that you won't be the one making those calls. Unless, of course, God has started posting on CattleToday.com.
Neither will you.

I do hope the people in this story, and any who may look the other way, get the same treatment as the neglected bull.

Neither will you.

I do hope the people in this story, and any who may look the other way, get the same treatment as the neglected bull.
I never said I would be. As far as wishing that upon your fellow man, it doesn't exactly morally elevate you either. Glad you don't run the justice system, things would get whacky soon.

I don't like the situation with the bull and I'd be talking to someone after x number of days, but I also don't think anyone should act on somebody else's behalf unless they have all of the information that can possibly be obtained. We had a young bull get his leg mangled when I was 16. Everyone said kill him or sell him. He got better and bred many cows. Lots of people in here operating on the principle that they know what's best for everyone and everything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.