need information on miniature black angus cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

I agree that the prices/popularity of the lowline seems to be following the path of the pot belly pig ect. But we can use the genetics of the lowline without paying those prices. I am thinking of introducing lowline to my herd for the meat qualities, using a straw of course.

What meat qualities?

Some BS that isn't true, except in advertising, where perception is reality?

They are an Angus. Same meat qualities as an Angus, period.

Selection for 15 years (1974-1991) doesn't change the meat quality, especially if meat quality wasn't selected for, which it wasn't.

mtnman

KMacGinley":1at10t4q said:
What the heck are you talking about SF? I don't remember mentioning anything about how much money I or anyone else is making on this thread. :)

Guess I got a little off topic. Sorry about that.

mtnman":osludfd3 said:
What meat qualities?

Some BS that isn't true, except in advertising, where perception is reality?

They are an Angus. Same meat qualities as an Angus, period.

Selection for 15 years (1974-1991) doesn't change the meat quality, especially if meat quality wasn't selected for, which it wasn't.

mtnman
I don't know where you found those selection years. But it happened why before that. You can look it up yourself. As far as I have been able to find out,all the lowline have the tenderness genes. Not all angus do. And I want those genes in my herd. (quote- They are an Angus. Same meat qualities as an Angus). May have been true 30-40 years ago, But we have taken the Angus in a different direction. I may be drifting off topic, sorry.

I got the selection years from one of the journals the research was published in when the herd was dispersed. Anold prof of mine had it. I think it was in 93 or 94 that the article came from. Maybe I am off a year on either end, I can't remember.

Way before all this BS promotion started.

The promoters say meat quality, structural correctness, and other things were in the research. It wasn't. It was single trait selection for growth rate.

The Lowlines did come from an old herd, but these attributes of the Lowlines and meat quality have to do with the old genetics then, not anything that is special about making them smaller, or making them lowlines.

Plenty of good old timey cattle here in the US anyway. You just have to look for them.

Probably more in Texas than anywhere else. At least one oldline angus guy there, several hereford guys, too. Some in OK, too.

mtnman

Latest posts