Name that breed

Help Support CattleToday:

Looks to me like the Simmentals we bred in New Zealand - more the Fleckvieh type - so thats what I'm going with.

Bookends :)

Untitled-Stitched-0711.jpg

Hereford

I've got a Hereford with a butt like that, but seein' as there isn't any white anywhere......? It does appear to have Brahman influence, so Beefmaster or Santa Gertrudis?

I'd like to thank each of you for participating. It's always good to have a little fun. The answer lies beneath. :D

DSCN1952.jpg

So much for the thought of polled bulls not carrying the muscle like horned bulls. So much for the thought of Beefmasters having too much sheath. Let's just take all of those negative stereotypes and throw them into the sea of forgetfulness. Judge each animal in each breed individually.

skyline":1i2jewzr said:
EC, we need to schedule an intervention if you are seriously thinking of switching from Beefmasters to another breed. :)

No need...just didn't want to give the answer away. I apologize to each of you for my deceptive words.

novatech":1i2jewzr said:
Beefmaster
Showoff!

:lol: Maybe just a little...but it's not even my bull. Many of you have seen this bull but don't realize it. This is Buster 260, owned by Buster Beefmasters. I posted a cell phone photo on the boards last year in which this bull received pretty high praises. The picture, however, was very shadowed. Well, this is him out of the shadows.

Thanks to each of you again.

EC

I like a bull to LOOK like a bull! THAT is a BULL! He has some minor faults, but compared to most other Sires, he is incomparable!

DOC HARRIS

DOC HARRIS":ugxp22pz said:
I like a bull to LOOK like a bull! THAT is a BULL! He has some minor faults, but compared to most other Sires, he is incomparable!

DOC HARRIS

Amen to that!
By the way, there where a few of us that were not fooled.

I assume you want us to stop assuming that Beefmasters make great cows and have great heat tolerance as well?

Is Buster 260 a 5502 son? If not, can you give me his pedigree? Do you have his epd's and scan data?

Third Row":373cfa5q said:
I assume you want us to stop assuming that Beefmasters make great cows and have great heat tolerance as well?

Check my post again...it says let's take all of those NEGATIVE stereotypes and cast them into the sea of forgetfulness. If Beefmasters being great cows and having great heat tolerance are negative stereotypes, forget them. Seems like that would only be negative for someone promoting another breed in an area where Brahman influence is beneficial.

:tiphat:

bbyou":373cfa5q said:
Is Buster 260 a 5502 son? If not, can you give me his pedigree? Do you have his epd's and scan data?

Buster 260 is sired by Buster 017 and out of a Buster cow (076). The cow goes back to Lasater 1306. Buster 017 is a son of L Bar 5502. Buster 017's dam goes back to a bull called Buckmaster, who was sired by Lasater 5367 (Ole Yeller). I don't have his EPD's or scan data. I do know that, when Buster 260 was weaned (not at 205 days), he weighed 800+ lbs while his dam weighed 900+. He was out of a first calf heifer (2000 model) who's still in Buster's herd and still producing.

EC

EC, I think you missed the point of my post. Stereotypes of breeds go both ways and there is no such thing as a breed that doesn't have it's own strengths and weaknesses regardless of what a picture of one bull shows.

Pretending that people should just forget all negative stereotypes of a breed while continuing to give that breed credit for the positive stereotypes is as dishonest as your first post.

Latest posts