Name that breed

Help Support CattleToday:

Third Row":2e6al8w8 said:
EC, I think you missed the point of my post. Stereotypes of breeds go both ways and there is no such thing as a breed that doesn't have it's own strengths and weaknesses regardless of what a picture of one bull shows.

Pretending that people should just forget all negative stereotypes of a breed while continuing to give that breed credit for the positive stereotypes is as dishonest as your first post.

You're going to have me staying up on these boards when I should be going to bed. If your thought was to be knowledgeable of both the positive and negative, it should have been stated differently. I've made no statements that each breed doesn't have strengths and weaknesses. I stand firm, however, that a stereotype will not cover every animal in a breed. Every breed is as good as the breeders who continue to produce the genetics. I'd be the first to tell you that some folks leave steers uncut and try to sell them as bulls...that goes for every breed. I stated that NEGATIVE stereotypes should be cast away because NEGATIVE stereotypes are what seem to be expressed more frequently.

Every farmer's market may not have good fruit. But if you're looking for good fruit, a farmer's market may be a good place to start. Likewise, a person looking for good, heat tolerant females may want to start with the Beefmaster breed. That doesn't mean that Kroger's, Brookshire's, and Walmart don't have good fruit too. Likewise, that doesn't mean that Angus, Hereford, (name your breed) doesn't have good females.

So, I hope I've not upset you by posting the POSITIVE type animal that Beefmasters breeders are able to produce. If I have, it won't necessarily affect my sleep.

And what, exactly, was so dishonest in my first post?

EC

(Edit is in bold print)

Those negative stereotypes exist for a reason just like the positive stereotypes. Nobody is ignorant enough to think every animal in a breed is the same.

Those stereotypes come from breed character. However, as I have already said, you can't throw the breed weaknesses out by saying animals don't follow their breed character while not implicitly saying the same thing about the positive aspects of that breed. If people should stop stereotyping breeds, why even have breeds in the first place?

Pretending breed weaknesses don't exist but strengths do is what breed associations are for, not honest cattlemen.

You know what I'm talking about in the first post, the entire thing was a setup. "I raise Beefmasters but I want to give credit where credit is due.....haha I was just promoting Beefmasters the entire time suckers".

NICE bull. And I take the gamesmanship of the original post in the manner that it was intended. No harm, no foul.

Third Row":22kxm3na said:
Those negative stereotypes exist for a reason just like the positive stereotypes. Nobody is ignorant enough to think every animal in a breed is the same.

Have I suggested that every animal in a breed is the same? Are you not reading my posts completely?

Those stereotypes come from breed character. However, as I have already said, you can't throw the breed weaknesses out by saying animals don't follow their breed character while not implicitly saying the same thing about the positive aspects of that breed. If people should stop stereotyping breeds, why even have breeds in the first place?

You may be surprised, but that's what we like to call SELECTION. Selecting animals which possess the desirable traits and culling those that don't. THAT...is up to the individual breeder. If you'd like to hear that every Beefmaster bull calf won't have a sheath that clean, I'll say it. Every one of them won't have a sheath that clean. BUT, if a breeder will continually select for clean sheathed herd and AI sires, their cattle will produce so many clean-sheathed and slick-bellied calves that one could hardly call the occasional long sheathed calf a 'breed weakness'. As I stated, the breed is only as good as the breeders who continue to produce that breed's genetics. Again, have you not read my posts?

Pretending breed weaknesses don't exist but strengths do is what breed associations are for, not honest cattlemen.

I sure wouldn't care to spend money on a breed association that didn't promote the breed. Next time, if it will make you feel better, I'll try and post a Beefmaster with a sloppy sheath, sloped rump, maybe paint in color, horned, (anything else?) so you don't feel like I'm trying to swindle the fine members of these boards.

You know what I'm talking about in the first post, the entire thing was a setup. "I raise Beefmasters but I want to give credit where credit is due.....haha I was just promoting Beefmasters the entire time suckers".

You got me! I was trying to get people to think outside the thought that the majority of my posts are Beefmaster related. Now ask yourself this question..."Did he give credit where credit was due?" You may have also lost the idea of the "breeds" board. It's the place a member goes to talk about THEIR favorite breed. My neighbor does have some good Charolais bulls. If you'd like, I'll take a picture or two of them and post them (See, I'm not biased :) ). And let's note that I've not considered anyone to be a sucker. That statement was yours.

Third Row,

I'm not sure if you're mad at me or the Beefmaster breed. If you had bad luck with Beefmasters, I'm sure sorry for you. All of my Beefmaster cattle have not lived up to my expectations. All of my commercial crossbred cattle didn't live up to my expectations. I am, however, very happy with my Beefmaster cows. I do believe it was a good decision for ME. I'm not really sure why you seem to be so bitter, but I don't think I'll spend any time trying to figure that out either. It's funny that you're the only person who seemed to have a problem with this thread. If it really bothers you so much, maybe you should just ignore this post...that's what I'd probably do. Have a great day. :tiphat:

Genuinely spoken,

EC

My gosh, you are calling ME bitter? Where did I say anything bad about Beefmasters? I didn't. You'll see the only thing I have said about Beefmasters is they are highly maternal and have great heat tolerance.

I am arguing against your flawed logic that people should forget all negative stereotypes while remembering the positive ones, not the Beefmaster breed.

Third Row":89ix7g30 said:
My gosh, you are calling ME bitter? Where did I say anything bad about Beefmasters? I didn't. You'll see the only thing I have said about Beefmasters is they are highly maternal and have great heat tolerance.

I am arguing against your flawed logic that people should forget all negative stereotypes while remembering the positive ones, not the Beefmaster breed.

I concede. All negative AND POSITIVE stereotypes should be forgotten. Just make sure and remember all the positive traits and expectancies of Beefmaster cattle. :nod:

EC

I ANAZAZI is far more impressed by a thick and well muscled bull if he is from a maternal breed or dual purpose, than from a terminal breed. I think the beefmaster bull above will provide lots of good maternal traits, because of his breed and heritage, as well as the obvious terminal advantages!

Latest posts