Name that breed!!!

Help Support CattleToday:

DOC HARRIS":2u5hgiwn said:
If my Math is correct, the cow has 1/4 extra of something! 3/4 + 2/4 = 5/4 - or - 1 and 1//4.

DOC HARRIS

Now we could be onto something here - imagine the production gains if they all had an extra 1/4

Goddy

goddy":3vjfx6v0 said:
DOC HARRIS":3vjfx6v0 said:
If my Math is correct, the cow has 1/4 extra of something! 3/4 + 2/4 = 5/4 - or - 1 and 1//4.

DOC HARRIS

Now we could be onto something here - imagine the production gains if they all had an extra 1/4

Goddy

I guess cows ARE getting bigger!

DOC HARRIS":1ac2i2le said:

DOC HARRIS

For an old guy, you are still pretty sharp!

It is odd to get a grey cow from a shorthorn, angus cross. Shorthorn should not carry diluter genes. Are you sure she doesn't have some Charolais in her?

DOC HARRIS":2cqkcefo said:
Carnivore":2cqkcefo said:
M.Sarria":2cqkcefo said:
Shorthorn/Simmental, Hey Carnivore, Hows ADMIRAL have you breed him?

P1210010.JPG

A picture is worth a thousand words...
Looking at the cow - I'd say she's a Charolais x Hereford , and the calf is Angus-sired.

DOC HARRIS

the cow that i see is white with (i think) red ears and nose and is very shorthorn in appearance. her calf is red too. i dont see anything indicative of charolais or hereford. looks just like a 3/4 shorthorn with a red angus calf to me.

went back and looked at original post. to clarify i also think the original cow is charolaisxhereford and that carni's cow is 3/4 shorthorn.

jnowack":23w1ukw9 said:
It is odd to get a grey cow from a shorthorn, angus cross. Shorthorn should not carry diluter genes. Are you sure she doesn't have some Charolais in her?

Positive:

I raised her from a calf, mother was purebred shorthorn, father was 1/2 shorthorn/1/2 Black Angus. The cow is white too, not gray.

Carnivore":2u2s6b2v said:
jnowack":2u2s6b2v said:

Positive:

I raised her from a calf, mother was purebred shorthorn, father was 1/2 shorthorn/1/2 Black Angus. The cow is white too, not gray.

You'd best check the woodpile !!! :lol:

What color is the calf? If the cow was white (WW genotype) then she would produce 100% roan calves out of any solid colored bull (RW or BW). The cow looks like she is a darker shade on her neck, may just be dirty, but it looks like a different base color pattern with a dilution gene.

Went out this morning, and found a bouncing baby bull calf at her side. She bagged up 2 days ago, and had the little guy cleaned up, along with herself. Yeh, she's a keeper. I'll try to get a new picture of both of them.

On the note of a rat in the wood pile, Shorthorn X Angus can produce a grey cow. I have raised a few. In fact try looking up Murrey Grey's. They are a breed developed by crossing Angus bulls over Shorthorn cows.

backhoeboogie":7hqh4uei said:
Carnivore":7hqh4uei said:
jnowack":7hqh4uei said:

Positive:

You'd best check the woodpile !!! :lol:

phillse said:
On the note of a rat in the wood pile, Shorthorn X Angus can produce a grey cow. I have raised a few. In fact try looking up Murrey Grey's. They are a breed developed by crossing Angus bulls over Shorthorn cows.
quote]

I can't seem to post photos any more, in fact, all my photos have dissappeared. Anyway, here is a link to the new gray calf, with white face from blond mother.

http://cattletoday.com/photos/showgalle ... puser=3788

1st gen BA X cha = white heifer--- 2nd gen white heifer X BA = Blonde heifer----3rd gen Blonde heifer X BA == grey bull calf wish I had good pictures for you guys...That grey ? silver calf is beautiful and I thought that 3/4 BA blonde cow was pretty but silver is great...

Carnivore":27r2iv71 said:
Okay, any ideas on what kind of cow this is?

P1210011.JPG

She is blonder than the photo shows.

Someone put a little bleech in the fly spray. She used to be a polled hereford. Put a little black dye in there and you've got CAB.

Latest posts