Name that breed!!!

Help Support CattleToday:

CharXHerf -they tend to do a really good job raising calves, pretty even tempered, relatively low maintenance. Get her a black bull and you'll be in business, of course, if you don't want her, several of us would gladly give her a new home. Well, except for 'xbred' who's obviously seeing something that I'm not.

the remark is not unedcuated...unecessary perhaps, if the person was asking for opinions, he got mine free...the second photo in this string shows a calf of the same x but of much better breeding...my opinion....i've seen hundreds , thousands of charolais herford crosses the first photo is that of a poor example of that good cross....

Without getting into a heated discussion over this, xbred, maybe you could enlighten us with your vast knowledge and cite the flaws you seem to see.

Alice":27p8k9ee said:
We have one that is younger than that...colored and marked like that...but not really built like that. We, and several other folks, tend to like her...a lot! :D

100_1216.jpg

Alice
dont know about better breeding.. but this one looks more like simm/char cross to me

Looks like an old style Simmental ( mayby 3/4 or 7/8th) with a touch of Char in the mix.

My lack of experience must be apparent but she looks a good honest cow photographed from an unflattering angle. Im not good enough to immediately be able to say she's poorly bred or bred early or whatever faults leap out at some.

Ill keep watching and see what I can learn.

Goddy

Well, the cow looks the picture of health, that's for sure. I think she looks kind of short legged 'cause the pic was taken looking down from a somewhat higher perch.

Alice

Carnivore":2kw87ahv said:
Okay, any ideas on what kind of cow this is?

P1210011.JPG

She is blonder than the photo shows.
ill tell you what this cow does look like. a easy keeping low maintenace money maker. maybe not the prettist one but who cares ;-)

xbred":2q2nf1va said:
...the second photo in this string shows a calf of the same x but of much better breeding...my opinion....i've seen hundreds , thousands of charolais herford crosses the first photo is that of a poor example of that good cross....
Why is the second one better than the first?

I wasn't concerned, nor requesting input regarding the quality of the cow. I was simply wanting to know if anyone can pinpoint a breed, which you'all have seem to figure is a cross breed. I am perfectly happy with the quality of the cow, she is bred to a black angus bull, (story is the neighbors bull that came over the fence).

I bought her and 2 others a few months ago from the lady I buy my hay from, as I needed a few more cows to keep the bull happy.

I was told all three produce great calves with no hassle, (we will see in a few months.

I'll try to get a really good picture of her tomorrow.

I'm sure she will produce you some good calves. Simi/Hereford or Hereford/Char... could be MG/Hereford. Could just be a black cow with that resessive gene color (dun).. got one like that gives me black/gray/solids and white faces... the beef is always good (she consistentaly has bulls). She looks okay to me. donna

DOC HARRIS":1nd04neb said:
Carnivore":1nd04neb said:
M.Sarria":1nd04neb said:
Shorthorn/Simmental, Hey Carnivore, Hows ADMIRAL have you breed him?

P1210010.JPG

A picture is worth a thousand words...
Looking at the cow - I'd say she's a Charolais x Hereford , and the calf is Angus-sired.

DOC HARRIS

I actually know the heritage of this cow, she is 3/4 shorthorn and 1/4 black angus. The calf has a purebred Red angus sire. Calf is the son of "Admiral", of eariler threads.

Latest posts