My steer moo's all the time?

Help Support CattleToday:

poultryrancher

Reaction score
I have had my steer about 3 weeks. He is a year old. And he moos ALL the time. Like every ten minutes or so. It doesn't matter if he's just been fed or not. He is an "only steer" with no other cows around for miles. He moos even more when he sees people. So does he associate people with food? HOW do I stop him from mooing this much?! It's annoying, but it will be worse at the fair--he can't make noise every five minutes at the fairgrounds....Won't we get kicked off the fairgrounds?! HELP!

poultryrancher":3oxlaqo0 said:
I have had my steer about 3 weeks. He is a year old. And he moos ALL the time. Like every ten minutes or so. It doesn't matter if he's just been fed or not. He is an "only steer" with no other cows around for miles. He moos even more when he sees people. So does he associate people with food? HOW do I stop him from mooing this much?! It's annoying, but it will be worse at the fair--he can't make noise every five minutes at the fairgrounds....Won't we get kicked off the fairgrounds?! HELP!
1st mooing is normal.an he mooes when he sees you because he is happy to see you.since you dont have other cows he will moo more.but if you had another steer he might quit mooing so much.he will ove being at the fair around other cattle.hows is your steer leading now.i bet you can walk him everywhere now.have you got him eating alot of feed.

bigbull338":w5ptq8r3 said:
[he will ove being at the fair around other cattle.hows is your steer leading now.i bet you can walk him everywhere now.have you got him eating alot of feed.
Thank you, that is reassuring. We will have 20 steer at our county fair this year (WOW!). No, I'm being a chicken and haven't lead him from inside the corral yet, but he is really mellowing out. I've lead him from the other side of the fence, and sometimes he gets mad, but he's getting better about. I cleaned out the pen last saturday and he just stood there. My dad lead him around yesterday and he was calm. So this week I will start leading him. He is eating three scoops (a scoop is about the same quanity as a coffee can) in the morning and three at night, plus a leaf of timothy. :wave:

a scoop could hold 3 or 4lbs.you need to still be slowly increasing his feed intake.

Now it sounds like you are interested so listen well to the Moos . They will be different . One for " hungry", one for "are there any other cows out there". When the grass is fouled and they want to move they will have another and when they get to frolicking its another again.

The best cattle people look and listen a lot.

Latest posts