my sister attacked by her dog

Help Support CattleToday:

Fighting dogs were bred to be very dog aggressive but VERY PEOPLE FRIENDLY It is only recently (10-15 yrs) that the gangs and thugs have bred and trained to make them aggressive toward people. They are more of a status symbol than a "sporting" dog. I have dealt with hundreds of pit bulls and for the most part all were good dogs. I had far more trouble with rotts, chows and shar peis.

Most people don't know a Shar Pai is a fighting dog..Some folks here had one would go hunting coyotes..She'd come in with a couple of puncters on a hind leg,then they'd see buzzards and find 2-3 dead coyotes..

Crowderfarms":30cjmjdu said:
angie":30cjmjdu said:
Chow's are ~ according to statistics ~ an aggressive breed.
The only Chow that's good is a dead one. I got the heck bit out of my leg the other day delivering a load of square bales.The Dog came out from under a trailer and bit me. I kicked him as hard as I could, and if I see him again I'm either going to run him over or shoot him.

I vote for Crowder, SSS. There is no reason to keep a biting dog around, accidental or other wise. I can think of no good reason to have a Pit bull or a Chow.

JMO ;-)

There is now one less in the world.

This next part is graphic so if you are squeemish don't read it.

Sister is still laid up in the bed in pain. She has to wear some kind of device that is like a decompression chamber but it is over that area. She can only get up 2 hours a day and that is during the time that device is off. A big part of that area is dead and she has to go to a wound care clinic where they cut away the dead parts from time to time. It is really bad. I saw a picture and it is rough, one part looks like a big hole. I don't know how her leg is going to look once all this is done. She still has swelling and they don't really know what the problem is. At first they thought it might be broken but they did an MRI and didn't see any breaks.

She talked to me about what happened and she said that the dogs started fighting and she put her leg in between them(not kicking) and that is when the dog got a hold of her. She said looking back that she believes without a doubt that the chow knew she had her and not the other dog. She said she knows it was a dumb thing to do but that she had done that in the past and broke fights up.

All of this has me wondering how the criminals fare that get bitten by a police dog? Do those dogs bite a certain way?

Gate Opener":1xwqfyer said:
There is now one less in the world.

This next part is graphic so if you are squeemish don't read it.

Sister is still laid up in the bed in pain. She has to wear some kind of device that is like a decompression chamber but it is over that area. She can only get up 2 hours a day and that is during the time that device is off. A big part of that area is dead and she has to go to a wound care clinic where they cut away the dead parts from time to time. It is really bad. I saw a picture and it is rough, one part looks like a big hole. I don't know how her leg is going to look once all this is done. She still has swelling and they don't really know what the problem is. At first they thought it might be broken but they did an MRI and didn't see any breaks.

She talked to me about what happened and she said that the dogs started fighting and she put her leg in between them(not kicking) and that is when the dog got a hold of her. She said looking back that she believes without a doubt that the chow knew she had her and not the other dog. She said she knows it was a dumb thing to do but that she had done that in the past and broke fights up.

All of this has me wondering how the criminals fare that get bitten by a police dog? Do those dogs bite a certain way?

That is terrible, I hope your sister heals up to original form. As to Police dogs, they are trained to respond to each criminal situation as seen fit by the handler. Their actions are a result of some very serious, long training, based on voice commands by their Handlers. As for biting in a certain way, I imagine it depends on the situation and the threat.

GMN

Gate Opener it sounds like your sister is going to have a long and painful recovery.I hope everything works out for her and she heals very fast.The whole situation is just so tragic.

I'm sorry for your sis. Hope she heals up good as new.
One way to break up a dog fight is to grab a tail and whirl.Cintrifical force will keep teeth away from you. If needed,
you can wrap dog around a handy fencepost,or a nearby bumper..~ Or thro dog as far as you can-he will be real dizzy,
so you can run..

I feel for your sister - first bit by her own dog, then laid up in bed by the bite, then the dog put to sleep.

But, putting the dog to sleep was the best option - esp now that Lillian's Law is in effect.

I agree with whoever it was that said it was in "attack mode" and couldn't differenciate between her leg and the dog.

Personal experience - Husband doesn't like the dogs (two dachshunds) in bed. So, it was dark and I had laid down on the floor to love on "Macy" when "Whitney" walked by.... out of jealousy Macy snapped and bit my armpit. I know there's no way that dog would intentionally hurt me... she is as devoted as you'll find but.... they're animals. They act out of instinct.

I'm so sorry for your sister. I'll keep her in my prayers.

peg4x4":363ppfef said:
Gateopener,how is your sis?? Getting better,I hope..

She is about the same. Has to stay in bed with her leg higher than her heart to keep swelling down. She started getting physical therapy (massaging the area for now)which the physical therapist said she should have been getting soon after the bite. She evidently got lost in the system on that one. The physical therapist said that if a muscle isn't used in 72 hrs it starts to atrophy.

She is sore from being in bed all the time.

The doctor told her recently that in the beginning he thought she was going to loose her foot. Maybe that means he doesn't think that now.

They did have a hard time with having the dog put down even after all of this but they knew it had to be done.

Thank you all so much for all of the well wishes and prayers. She needs them.

Dang! What part of the leg was bitten? Has she gotten that bad bacterial infection? Much love and many prayers
to her from me..

Where I was bit on my arm I still have an area of no feeling on top my hand and pinky finger.
If I hit one of the punctures the nerves go crazy in my arm.
I also have medication to relax the muscles after a good days work,, it still gets sore pretty easy.

I am sure she will have some of the same. Thankfully myne is just nerve damage,, every thing still works.

i have broken up many dog fights with my alpha female box and new additions. once they figure out the structure everything is fine. she never turns on me or she would get a bullet. i had one turn years ago when breaking up a fight and he got a bullet. once they bite in my experience they will do it again. to much risk for me with kids. harsh yes but reality at my little place.

Her wounds are around the ankle area and up some from there. Sorta from her ankle to her calf. I don't think it is infected. It does drain and there has been alot of dead tissue. The doctor said it cut lots of capillaries and from what I understand the blood goes down but can't get back up.

Brute, how long ago was your bite? I hope my sister can get back to normal. The doctor told her it would take 6-8 months to get better. I hope she doesn't have to be in bed that long. Surely not.

jvicars, their concern was that the dog would do it again.

Peg and others, thanks for love and prayers.

Latest posts