my sister attacked by her dog

Help Support CattleToday:

Gate Opener

Reaction score
Don't believe everything you see on TV. My sister watched a program on how to try to get dogs that don't like each other get along. Well she has two that hate each other. The chow has been there for many many years the other is fairly new. She took the new dog out to the chow and my sister says she thinks the chow thought the new dog was attacking her and the chow attacked the new dog. Somewhere in there the chow got ahold of my sisters lower leg and tore it up. My sister had to have lots of stitches, staples and drain tubes.

Do you all think the chow knew it had her leg and not the other dog? I wonder how it couldn't but I also know that some dog fights can be pretty hairy.

When our dogs fight I keep my distance. Don't want any of that.

Gate Opener":27d1kxk6 said:
Don't believe everything you see on TV. My sister watched a program on how to try to get dogs that don't like each other get along. Well she has two that hate each other. The chow has been there for many many years the other is fairly new. She took the new dog out to the chow and my sister says she thinks the chow thought the new dog was attacking her and the chow attacked the new dog. Somewhere in there the chow got ahold of my sisters lower leg and tore it up. My sister had to have lots of stitches, staples and drain tubes.

Do you all think the chow knew it had her leg and not the other dog? I wonder how it couldn't but I also know that some dog fights can be pretty hairy.

When our dogs fight I keep my distance. Don't want any of that.
i hate to hear that your sister dot tore up by her dog.but since she has 2 dogs that hate eachother she shouldve never tryed putting them togather.i dont think the chow knew he ripped her leg up.but either way id watch him from now own.an never let those 2 dogs togather ever again.

Ouch. Your sister shouldn't have tried to get those two apart if a voice command couldn't stop them BUT a voice command should have been able to stop both of them dead in their tracks and if it didn't then she has a dominance problem. Both dogs should be taught to immediately stop if your sister tells them to or else she has a couple of dangerous weapons she can't control and that is scary. Chows are aggressive dogs and will push themselves to top dog position if their owners allow it to happen. Did the dog know, I don't know but if he did he didn't care because as your sister is not top dog then she had no right to be there.
Both those dogs need to be trained to do exactly what your sister tells them to do when she tells them to do so. Or the Chow should leave. Honestly I think any dog that bit me even in the middle of a dog fight would be put down immediately. It might be her fault for lack of training but that's how it goes.
Hope her leg heals quickly.

My opinion is that the dog that attacked her knew exactly what it was attacking. A dog knows the differance between another dog and a human,it was no mistake. That being said the dog that attacked her most likely was in an attack frenzy and didn't care what it was it was attacking. As has been said Chows can be very aggresive dogs. It attacked her once and could very possibly attack her or someone else again. My advice get rid of one of the dogs. My choice of the one going would be the Chow. Are there any children that deal with this Chow? If so you are taking a high risk keeping it.

angie":1nin3kjd said:
Chow's are ~ according to statistics ~ an aggressive breed.
:roll:

The propper way to accomidate two dogs is to have them both on leads with two seperate handlers.

Then you let the dogs make eye contact. The second that they tense up you break their consentration and bring it back to you so you can give a disaproving command. I use "get out".

If they are not looking at you then you disipline accordingly, show your dominance, and make them submisive.

When both dogs are calm and submissive to you they can be placed closer and closer until they are able to co-exist.

When training dogs you always start in small, confined area where you are in control of all variables at all times.

When ever two dogs are fighting you never get between them. When they are in the defensive state they do not seperate a humans arm, leg, hand, ect.. from the other dog. Never beat or hit the dogs while fighting because it just encourages them to keep fighting because they think it is the other dog inflicting the pain.

We start from the back and pull by the tail and work our way to the collar to get control of two dogs fighting. Then seperate and disipline accordingly.

Not trying to be cruel but your sister did the absolute, most wrong things, that can be done. Do not blame the dogs. They feed off the handler. If she was tensed up and scared, on the defense or anything like that than the dogs were also the same way.

Brute 23":1o3kkhju said:
angie":1o3kkhju said:

I've known too many people who owned Chows and had their dogs turn on them to not believe that Chows can be very aggressive. There were no other dogs added to the the equation, nor did the owners do anything different that they knew of - the Chows simply turned on them for no apparent reason.

This is kinda graphic so if you are squeemish don't read it.

We were at Children's Hospital in Dallas one time and the nurse said that all the dog bites that come in are by either Chow or Chow mix dogs.

I should say that my sister's dog didn't just bite her once. She had 4 or 5 bites. I should say rips because the two my mother saw were 5" and 3 1/2" long. Some were to the bone. I can't see how the dog didn't know what it had.

As far as fights between dogs only. I'm not getting in any dog fights. I have instructed my kids that if our dogs get into a fight they are to go in the house. IMO our dogs are well trained and know we are the boss. Our dogs have only had 2 serious fights and those were already on when we saw them. I think the dogs will keep going at it until you either let them figure out who is boss or you get rid of one of them.

msscamp":37nlvsr5 said:
Brute 23":37nlvsr5 said:
angie":37nlvsr5 said:

I've known too many people who owned Chows and had their dogs turn on them to not believe that Chows can be very aggressive. There were no other dogs added to the the equation, nor did the owners do anything different that they knew of - the Chows simply turned on them for no apparent reason.

I am very aware of the reputation... YOu get a double :roll: :roll: for adding to it.

Its easy to blame the animals right? I mean... it couldn't be the persons fault who thought they were Cesar Millan?

Who knows... his sister could have kicked at the dogs when they started fighting... it wouldn't surprise me.

NO one can say for sure because we do not know the whole story... BUT based on my years of experience with dogs... I would say the dog was caught up in the defensive mode.

How is the dog acting now with your sister and others?

Thank you dun. To me, dog bites owner=dead dog.

I don't know how the chow is. My sister is laid up in bed in pain. I don't know if any one else has been around the dog.

My sister is a big animal lover and was saying that she thinks the chow was trying to protect her from the other dog. I don't know all the details I'm sure those will come out later.

How is hte dog acting around people now?

Why/ How did the dog stop biting her?

When a dog is in the mode and it goes to biting on you alot of times if you break their concentration by yelling or something they stop.

That is the difference between being attacked or the dog mistaking you for something else.

I have been bit a couple times for sticking my hands where they shouldn't have been. It happens when you deal with dogs as much as I do.

With that said... now that your sister has been bitten she will probably not want to be around that dog again. It can be very traumatizing.... and most likely you can't give a chow away that has had any kind of history like this.... so....

I don't know any details and I don't even know if anyone has been around the dog since then.

I will let you all know if I get any more info.

Brute 23":uhusuz8n said:
msscamp":uhusuz8n said:
Brute 23":uhusuz8n said:
angie":uhusuz8n said:

I am very aware of the reputation... YOu get a double :roll: :roll: for adding to it.

Perhaps you missed the known part - this is not hearsay, and it was not just one person. My experience has been that when multiple people experience the same thing from a particular breed of whatever kind of animal, the reputation is generally deserved - especially when those people have experience with the animal they are handling.

msscamp":2590v2tr said:
Brute 23":2590v2tr said:
msscamp":2590v2tr said:
Brute 23":2590v2tr said:
angie":2590v2tr said:

Perhaps you missed the known part - this is not hearsay, and it was not just one person. My experience has been that when multiple people experience the same thing from a particular breed of whatever kind of animal, the reputation is generally deserved - especially when those people have experience with the animal they are handling.

I am not trying to be rude to you... but I take things like this to serious because I do spend so much time with dogs and with all these breed legislations coming about we can not assume based on reputation.

Your experience with this means nothing to me... if you were as experienced as you think you are... you would know that with the info given it is ignorant to think that the dog obviously and blatantly attacked her.

Any one who has real experience would know that in that situation that the dog could have gotten carried away... and most likely did. Most of the time they do not just flat out turn on their owners,,, Chow, Pitt, Arabian-Human-Eater, what ever else you can think of.

There is the possibility that the dog did mean to attack her but at this point you can not confirm that. Especially when the events around it do not support that.

Again... I am sorry... not trying to embarras or belittle you. Just trying to inform.

Brute 23":2cif4brj said:
msscamp":2cif4brj said:
msscamp":2cif4brj said:
angie":2cif4brj said:

I am not trying to be rude to you... but I take things like this to serious because I do spend so much time with dogs and with all these breed legislations coming about we can not assume based on reputation.

I actually didn't think you were. I don't understand what you mean by not assuming based on reputation, though. Would you please go a little further in depth on that? Thanks.

Your experience with this means nothing to me... if you were as experienced as you think you are... you would know that with the info given it is ignorant to think that the dog obviously and blatantly attacked her.

Not my experience - the experience of people I knew. I do not believe I'm experienced with dogs - not for a moment.

Any one who has real experience would know that in that situation that the dog could have gotten carried away... and most likely did. Most of the time they do not just flat out turn on their owners,,, Chow, Pitt, Arabian-Human-Eater, what ever else you can think of.

Please explain 'could have gotten carried away'? I'm not sure I understand what you're saying.

There is the possibility that the dog did mean to attack her but at this point you can not confirm that. Especially when the events around it do not support that.

I also don't understand how a dog could attack without meaning to. Help?

Again... I am sorry... not trying to embarras or belittle you. Just trying to inform.

You're fine, and I see no need to apologize. I am all for informing! :) The way I see it is this - the more information I have on any given subject, the better prepared I am to handle that situation should it arise. Thank you for any information you're willing to share. :)

msscamp":2ftvm3ai said:
Please explain 'could have gotten carried away'? I'm not sure I understand what you're saying.
When two dogs start fighting they go into a defensive mode and become very agressive. ANything that comes into their path like a hand, arm, foot, let, can be misconcieved as the other dog.

I was seperating two dogs one time and a Pit locked onto my arm. As soon as I yelled... the dog looked at me and let go. I clipped the lead to its collar,,, walked it back to its kennel and then went to the emergency room. I have never had any problems with the dog to this date. I stuck my hand where it didn't belong. There were very few cuts... just 3 puncture type wounds from the K9s. That is the nature of the dogs. The crushing effect is what does damage with bulldogs.

msscamp":2ftvm3ai said:
I also don't understand how a dog could attack without meaning to. Help?

Dogs don't accidently attack people.... the do accidently bite people. As I said before... the difference between an attack is that most likely if the dog looks at your face when you are sreaming and lets go it was an accident and you had something where it didn't belong. If the dog looks at you square in the face and some one still has to beat the dog to get it off you then that is an attack.

With the nature of the chow it is now surprising that she got bit 5 times because they are "grabby" dogs... not like bulldogs that grab once (maybe twice) and hold. Chows do damage by ripping at something franticly.

Brute 23, since you have experience in this area I hope I can ask you a question. I have been doing a lot of reading on dog breeds because we are going to unfortunately need a new dog soon. Not wanting to get a herder or sporting dog we started looking at working dogs with our focus ending up primarily on the guard group. I read in more than one article from trainers about rankness my understanding from that is that some breeds will try to dominate an owner who they view as submissive and that this can lead to biting. They also said that some agressive breeds are more likely than other aggressive breeds to do this. A couple breeds they listed were the Giant Schnauzer and Chows (there were others). They said that these dogs are more likely to attack their owners than an aggressive breed that isn't as driven by rankness and is more accepting of its person as dominant dog. Is this true in your experience that some breeds show more rankness than others?

A older dog vs a younger new dog, I think there was jealousy involved here. Dogs do get jealous, usually over the owner paying more attention to the new dog, yet still I do not think a dog should ever bite the hand that feeds it,and I would definety find it a new home. To do that much damage, would be a big concern, if it ever got away from your home, biting someone else, etcc.. not worth the risk or future legal problems it could bring you and your family.

GMN

Latest posts