More pro Angus statements.

Help Support CattleToday:

My take is it's hard to beat an Angus consistently on price or taste, and the markets prove it. You can think CAB is BS, but the buyers are buying it and the consumers can't get enough CAB.
If you think that CAB is Angus then look up specifications. Only has to be 51% black hide (so black baldies fall easily into the CAB look), no hump to keep out Brahman link, no dairy look and then on slaughter they have to grade. No requirement that it is ANGUS! A black baldie is CAB's best friend if the Angus genetics have been heavily sorted for high IMF and thus got low on REA. (The two traits are generally antagonists) So SimAngus, baldies, black balancers, ... are CAB eligible. There has been some recent fallout that some packers were using well finished Holstein or crosses that were 51% black. Must have been "profitable" to inspectors to let that happen.

Frame has been highly discussed and cussed on this site. The target steer in feedlots is huge compared to just a few years ago. The big ones help the packer. The packer can care less if the cow/calf guy is going broke growing pee wees, moderate sized cattle or monsters. The pee wees are a marketing scheme to entice the outsiders and the renegades to the last frontier of freedom and fist shaking at the established cattle system. More power to them but I do not plan to go along because somebody is "Anti-mainstream" to my own detriment. But I also know that monsters are not going to do here.

What the speaker was telling is true in that there are alliances being formed where some feedyards and packers will pay more for cattle sired by a short list of herd prefix bulls. That type marketing efforts is a form of vertical intergration if you want to be like every chicken, egg, turkey and pork producer left in the USA in the mainstream. You can go that route and "work for the company". These alliances, if they get big enough, will suck the wind out of the sails of CAB and will surpass it in quality by having sourcing data for "consumer safety" and "quality assurance".

I have no love for CAB program as it is. It is a sham in that the cattle are never "pure Angus" but that is implied. It has been the great money maker, was only set up to increase the sale of registered Angus bulls and the AAA has become intoxicated by the money element of CAB to the hurt of the entire breed. Like all crime shows and reality TV, follow the money. It does not have to be all up and up until the curtain is pulled back and the light enters the scene.

Ebenezer":2eid0s42 said:
My take is it's hard to beat an Angus consistently on price or taste, and the markets prove it. You can think CAB is BS, but the buyers are buying it and the consumers can't get enough CAB.
If you think that CAB is Angus then look up specifications. Only has to be 51% black hide (so black baldies fall easily into the CAB look), no hump to keep out Brahman link, no dairy look and then on slaughter they have to grade. No requirement that it is ANGUS! A black baldie is CAB's best friend if the Angus genetics have been heavily sorted for high IMF and thus got low on REA. (The two traits are generally antagonists) So SimAngus, baldies, black balancers, ... are CAB eligible. There has been some recent fallout that some packers were using well finished Holstein or crosses that were 51% black. Must have been "profitable" to inspectors to let that happen.

Frame has been highly discussed and cussed on this site. The target steer in feedlots is huge compared to just a few years ago. The big ones help the packer. The packer can care less if the cow/calf guy is going broke growing pee wees, moderate sized cattle or monsters. The pee wees are a marketing scheme to entice the outsiders and the renegades to the last frontier of freedom and fist shaking at the established cattle system. More power to them but I do not plan to go along because somebody is "Anti-mainstream" to my own detriment. But I also know that monsters are not going to do here.

What the speaker was telling is true in that there are alliances being formed where some feedyards and packers will pay more for cattle sired by a short list of herd prefix bulls. That type marketing efforts is a form of vertical intergration if you want to be like every chicken, egg, turkey and pork producer left in the USA in the mainstream. You can go that route and "work for the company". These alliances, if they get big enough, will suck the wind out of the sails of CAB and will surpass it in quality by having sourcing data for "consumer safety" and "quality assurance".

I have no love for CAB program as it is. It is a sham in that the cattle are never "pure Angus" but that is implied. It has been the great money maker, was only set up to increase the sale of registered Angus bulls and the AAA has become intoxicated by the money element of CAB to the hurt of the entire breed. Like all crime shows and reality TV, follow the money. It does not have to be all up and up until the curtain is pulled back and the light enters the scene.

I agree with all this, and always wanted to know why DNA or some other test wasn't needed to qualify as CAB. I've been told by more than one source that there is not enough Angus cows to meet the demands of the consumer for CAB.
Talk about a great class action lawsuit for some anti - beef group and or a hotshot lawyer?

Grit in today's world I have wondered why some of the antis haven't filed that suit. Right media group get ahold of the fraud on the American consumer that could turn the apple cart over and burn it.

I prefer either Red River or CHB beef myself. Like stated the label is misleading. There is a ruralgrocery store in this area selling CHB and people drive a ways to buy their beef there. They feel like I do that the product is more consistent. The Angus breed did a great job of marketing. We run mainly Angus but have been looking at other options due the decrease in muscling in the average Angus bull and structural issues. So far a Hereford bull on the Angus cows has proven to work the best and sell at the top

I haven't tried CHB but would like to, I have sold calves a few times through a Hereford influence sale that is similar to a CPH sale and qualifies for CHB. This coming year, with having Hereford cows bred to Hereford bull, that sale will likely be my only option for marketing the steer calves.

wacocowboy":2bivxuvq said:
CAB is a joke it should be called Certified Black Beef. It is interesting reading all y'alls post about Angus.
:lol2:

You're right about CAB being a joke and in my honest opinion that they should do a DNA testing on these black hided ones. It's easy to paint a cow black without using an angus and a lot of guys are using black bulls on everything here, even if the black bulls are mutts. Why? Because they knows they won't get docked for having a black calf.

Muddy":12ivn0zx said:
wacocowboy":12ivn0zx said:
CAB is a joke it should be called Certified Black Beef. It is interesting reading all y'alls post about Angus.

You're right about CAB being a joke and in my honest opinion that they should do a DNA testing on these black hided ones. It's easy to paint a cow black without using an angus and a lot of guys are using black bulls on everything here, even if the black bulls are mutts. Why? Because they knows they won't get docked for having a black calf.

CAB, isn't a joke to me. My black Angus crossed calves bring a premium over my red Angus crossed calves. $50.00 dollars a calf more for being black is a good thing to me. Some folks can't market anything.

True Grit Farms":2ho9ix4b said:
Muddy":2ho9ix4b said:
wacocowboy":2ho9ix4b said:

CAB, isn't a joke to me. My black Angus crossed calves bring a premium over my red Angus crossed calves. $50.00 dollars a calf more for being black is a good thing to me. Some folks can't market anything.
It is a joke to me, because Angus has been took all credits from the other breeds and the straightbred Black Angus sucks big time. It doesn't have to be a black Angus to makes money, anything black will do it and you know it.

Muddy":2jez7oei said:
True Grit Farms":2jez7oei said:
Muddy":2jez7oei said:

It is a joke to me, because Angus has been took all credits from the other breeds and the straightbred Black Angus sucks big time. It doesn't have to be a black Angus to makes money, anything black will do it and you know it.

Muddy the cold must be shrinking your brain. Angus started CAB before the black hide craze in the majority of breeds. Every breed owes AAA a big thanks for getting and keeping more consumers eating BEEF. And then the AAA started and mandated DNA testing for Angus cattle, and everyone is jumping on that wagon also. The AAA knows how to run a business and promote there product, everyone else is jealous. IMO They started out with a good product and knew how to market it. And in case it was before your time, Angus was black before black was cool.

True Grit Farms":1shr3u9q said:
Muddy":1shr3u9q said:
True Grit Farms":1shr3u9q said:

Muddy the cold must be shrinking your brain. Angus started CAB before the black hide craze in the majority of breeds. Every breed owes AAA a big thanks for getting and keeping more consumers eating BEEF. And then the AAA started and mandated DNA testing for Angus cattle, and everyone is jumping on that wagon also. The AAA knows how to run a business and promote there product, everyone else is jealous. IMO They started out with a good product and knew how to market it. And in case it was before your time, Angus was black before black was cool.

You put that pretty well, Mr. Grit.

Just for giggles I logged back in. Took me a while. Could not remember password. I think it's been 7 or so years. Still the same arguments over Angus cattle. If they are still here I say hello Doc and hello Dun.

True Grit Farms":38l9w8m3 said:
Muddy":38l9w8m3 said:
wacocowboy":38l9w8m3 said:

Your comment proves it is a joke. A registered Red Angus will not go into CAB but some black cross or Black Sim will. Yes AAA and CAB did a great job marketing, but the only reason they got away with false advertising is because the public is dumber than what comes out of the south end of a north bound bull. I could butcher an Angus, Char, Hereford, Brahma cross, and a Longhorn and I bet once the leather was pulled 99% of people couldn't guess which was what. I already seen a taste test on a tv show using those breeds above all the steaks was prepared by the same chef and same temp and no seasoning and no one picked the right breed with the right steak and several said the Longhorn was the Angus cause it taste the best lol.

Scotty":1ztfiqqb said:
Just for giggles I logged back in. Took me a while. Could not remember password. I think it's been 7 or so years. Still the same arguments over Angus cattle. If they are still here I say hello Doc and hello Dun.

Doc is very sick, and may have passed.

What's funny is the difference in buyers. Red Angus and BWF are far and away preferred by the local buyer here. These calves are searched out and highly sought after. Everyone is mostly Black Angus around here. Obviously, the Herf adds something that the straight Blacks aren't bringing to the table. Most everyone who runs Reds have above average herds, that may be why they are desired.

They know where the Simmi calves come from, and won't pay up for them. We have to haul our Simmi's to get them to sell good, but we can get in the money at the right place. As a buyer told me one time, if we all liked the same thing, I'd be chasing your wife.

Angus started CAB before the black hide craze in the majority of breeds.
Other breeds got greedy instead of selecting for functional traits and making their own brands.

Every breed owes AAA a big thanks for getting and keeping more consumers eating BEEF.
So, beef consumption has increased in the USA and worldwide because of a premium priced product? Facts and figures?

And then the AAA started and mandated DNA testing for Angus cattle, and everyone is jumping on that wagon also.
Mandated? How about all of the non-typical blood types that have been around for years. Cleansed or ignored?

The AAA knows how to run a business and promote there product, everyone else is jealous.
They know how to dictate to members and run a business but not improve and maintain a breed.
IMO They started out with a good product and knew how to market it.
They started campaigns as "the maternal breed" and compared as opposite to elephants. Now they are a terminal breed and the biggest average.

And in case it was before your time, Angus was black before black was cool.
And red.

Dogs and Cows":1llzx7ss said:
Hereford...making Angus (black) better...every cow deserves a white face. Black baldies with frame sell very well here...above straight black many times.
To be fair, the best looking black ones I seen are usually crossbreds. So it's the other breeds are making Black Angus better.

WalnutCrest":2o0w7cjt said:
Scotty":2o0w7cjt said:

Doc is very sick, and may have passed.

Sorry to hear this.

Latest posts