More pro Angus statements.

Help Support CattleToday:

True Grit Farms":1xagqqnd said:
djinwa":1xagqqnd said:
At some point, due to the fraud of CAB, and animal welfare issues, something will have to change.

The part of CAB I get a kick out of is the word CERTIFY. I mean, when you certify something, you give complete assurance that it is true. So to certify that a CAB animal is actually angus, but is not, is complete and utter fraud. Excuses can be made, but how would it look if I painted a Mitsubishi tractor green and certified it as John Deere?

True Grit Farms":1xagqqnd said:
IMO They started out with a good product and knew how to market it. And in case it was before your time, Angus was black before black was cool.

Actually, black never has been cool, but hot. Black hides are an undesirable trait because of heat stress, as animal scientists are making more obvious. So black was never a good product. Might as well promote prolapses or bad udders or bad feet or poor gain or whatever. We ignore bad traits when we think they make us money. Of course, it is much easier to see the check at the salebarn than the costs of heat stress, so few care.

When thousands of cattle died in Iowa from heat, studies showed in some pens only 20% of the cattle were black, but they represented 80% of death loss. And I recall some years ago a poster here lost 600+ steers from heat and the blacks had 5 times the death rate. How many of these cases before major media attention happens?

Someone on another site posted this article.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar ... 51dbe02d86

Higher temperatures and heat stress alone can reduce cattle production by reducing feed intake, feed efficiency, and causing mortality. The provision of shade and water offers production benefits, especially for Bos taurus cattle.
-----------
Brown-Brandl et al. conducted an assessment of heat tolerance of Angus, MARCIII (crossbreed consisting of Pinzgauer, Red Poll, Hereford, and Angus breeds), Gelbvieh, and Charolais breeds with varying hide color (black, dark red, tan, white, respectively). Black hided cattle had the greatest respiration rates, panting scores, and surface temperatures followed by dark red, then tan, and then white cattle. The development of heat stress increased drinking and standing, decreased eating, lying, and physical activity. Darker cattle made more behavioral adjustments than lighter cattle. These heat tolerance results are driven by cattle with lighter hair coats having lower solar absorption.

It just goes to show you that science studies can rig the numbers to match the results that they want to achieve. I'm willing to bet more black cows froze to death than all other colored cows in last year blizzards. Florida is now full of black cows now and when I was growing up there was few to no black cows in south Florida. Why are polar bears white, Africans black, Norwegians very light skinned? And everyone knows that grey - white cattle with humps are easy to handle.
You need to have cattle that were raised and are accustomed to your environment. To me that's the most important thing and means a lot more than breed. Back before cattle and the land was managed for cattle breed played a major part. Now all cattle are managed or the rancher is out business.

The Angus fad is a USA thing most boxed beef coming into the USA Today is Brahman influenced.
I wonder how much gets put under the CAB sign at the local grocery

https://www.certifiedangusbeef.com/cuts/grades.aspx
CAB is a grade of beef, upper choice or prime, has to be black Hided cattle. Not sure that link will work.
Does anybody really believe someone could bring a lawsuit? Don't think the CAB brand would leave thereself dangling like that!!!
A better end resturant close by has CHB first time I ate there it was good, but the several times since not so much, give me CAB my preference.

bse":7nyijdff said:
CAB is a grade of beef, upper choice or prime, has to be black Hided cattle. Not sure that link will work.
Does anybody really believe someone could bring a lawsuit? Don't think the CAB brand would leave thereself dangling like that!!!
A better end resturant close by has CHB first time I ate there it was good, but the several times since not so much, give me CAB my preference.

The problem is CAB is selling something that are not enough Angus to fill the order again it's a sham.
I run an Angus bull and it is still a sham

bse":u2do7wd8 said:

No. Not going to happen. Certified is a word in a brand name, "Certified Angus Beef". Might as well sue John Candy because he used "Candy" as his last name.

Margonme":3im8veyu said:
bse":3im8veyu said:

No. Not going to happen. Certified is a word in a brand name, "Certified Angus Beef". Might as well sue John Candy because he used "Candy" as his last name.
A lot if simply labeled as "Angus" without using the certified label.

Certified Angus Beef (registered) Brand. There is no obligation or covenant that it is tested Angus DNA beef. It may be implied but that is a common practice in "Brands". I assure you, the lawyers have the bases covered. It is strictly a Brand. Just like Ivomec is a Brand of Ivermectin. Folks look for the capital "R" with a circle around it.

Send me a post card when a fool files a lawsuit!!!

Margonme":3on34mua said:
True Grit Farms":3on34mua said:
What's a cape buffaloes African name?

Syncerus caffer

True Grit: Polar bears are white because they are endemic to a totally white habitat. If black was that effective a factor for temperature regulation, you might think they would be black.

Sorry. Inyati
Polar bears are black hided, their hair is translucent, and reflex the white snow. The heat radiates down to their black hide.

TexasBred":aykd7ixw said:
Please advise the readers that all of these massive die offs you refer to happened to feedlot cattle and NOT beef cattle on pasture for which there is really very little study that has been done. It is accepted that black cattle absorb more heat but there are also remedial actions that can be taken to reduce stress and most good cattlemen are aware of these and utilize them. Many many variables go into creation or reduction of heat stress than color only.

I don't know about studies but in 2011 I seen all them black cattle in the ponds while red and yellows were eating. The ones that I did see die of heat in 2011 all black. I am just glad my cattle are heavy on the Brahma and survived just fine.

wacocowboy":2dvdp78c said:
TexasBred":2dvdp78c said:
Please advise the readers that all of these massive die offs you refer to happened to feedlot cattle and NOT beef cattle on pasture for which there is really very little study that has been done. It is accepted that black cattle absorb more heat but there are also remedial actions that can be taken to reduce stress and most good cattlemen are aware of these and utilize them. Many many variables go into creation or reduction of heat stress than color only.

I don't know about studies but in 2011 I seen all them black cattle in the ponds while red and yellows were eating. The ones that I did see die of heat in 2011 all black. I am just glad my cattle are heavy on the Brahma and survived just fine.
While my black cows are out grazing, all my shorthorns are in the pond and they're not even black....

Muddy":3a0g7lql said:
wacocowboy":3a0g7lql said:
TexasBred":3a0g7lql said:

While my black cows are out grazing, all my shorthorns are in the pond and they're not even black....

Our Herefords spend as much time in the pond or under a tree as our BA do.

Could be the reds and yellows have to eat more, while the blacks stay full and relax.

bse":2hyltmb7 said:
Could be the reds and yellows have to eat more, while the blacks stay full and relax.

I sure don't see where my back cows loose anymore condition than the red one's during the summer. As a matter of fact I know the spring born calves don't, scales tell no tales at the sale barn.

wacocowboy":212xbiag said:
TexasBred":212xbiag said:

Don't know that I've ever seen a beef cow of any color die from heat when given plenty of water to drink, not even in 2011. Now dairy cattle are another thing.

The more efficient a beef animal is at converting food to energy, the hotter their rumen gets. So it could be that those black cattle are also more efficient at converting feed to energy.

The following is the copyrighted property of:

Certified Angus Beef LLC
206 Riffel Rd.
Wooster, OH 44691
330-345-2333
FAX: 330-345-0808

The following highlighted bold text is copied from the Certified Angus Beef LLC website for information purposes only.

Certified Angus Beef ® , CAB ® , Angus beef at its best® and/or any other American Angus Association-owned trademarks are the exclusive trademarks or service marks of the Certified Angus Beef LLC and are protected by Federal trademark law. Other product and company names mentioned in the CAB Program's Web Site may be the trademarks of their respective owners.

The Certified Angus Beef ® brand is a label recognizing exceptional Angus beef that is tasty, tender and juicy. Other labels may say Angus, but that's where the similarities end. The brand, established in 1978, is truly a stamp of exceptional quality, and your sign of a great meal. We work with family farmers and ranchers to help them raise the very best Angus beef, and monitor its progress through every stage of the journey. In fact, our bosses are in boots: Certified Angus Beef LLC is a nonprofit entity owned by the American Angus Association ® and its farmer members.

TexasBred":26x3mm5j said:
wacocowboy":26x3mm5j said:
TexasBred":26x3mm5j said:

Don't know that I've ever seen a beef cow of any color die from heat when given plenty of water to drink, not even in 2011. Now dairy cattle are another thing.

I seen 3 that were examined by a vet and determined they died of heat.

wacocowboy":3j7wzbv6 said:
TexasBred":3j7wzbv6 said:
wacocowboy":3j7wzbv6 said:

Then the vet should have begun trying to determine "why". Were they running fever, have plenty of water, etc. to hopefully prevent it from happening again.

TexasBred":2n2uhng2 said:
wacocowboy":2n2uhng2 said:
TexasBred":2n2uhng2 said:

Then the vet should have begun trying to determine "why". Were they running fever, have plenty of water, etc. to hopefully prevent it from happening again.

I wasn't there when the vet examined them wish I was I like to ask questions. They were in a pasture with shade and plenty of water. The guy didn't go into much detail on what the vet said just said they died of heat like if we had a heat stroke.